• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the only losses that help Wake this week are SMU and App St assuming Boise St hangs on. That would only open up 20 or 21 for Wake.

It's pretty clear that Wake was penalized for the L'ville loss too heavily. We probably should be at 16-18 had the voters treated us with more respect (i.e. dropping us out from the top 20).

I don't think it's ~just~ us; it's the entire ACC that is being penalized for being the ACC this year.

I could see possibly moving up 2 spots if Memphis wasn't #24. Memphis will leapfrog us and App will drop out. I see #22 for us.
The HAS to be the most weeks Wake has been ranked, correct? I thint next week should be 4 weeks ranked in the top 25.

I could see possibly moving up 2 spots if Memphis wasn't #24. Memphis will leapfrog us and App will drop out. I see #22 for us.
The HAS to be the most weeks Wake has been ranked, correct? I thint next week should be 4 weeks ranked in the top 25.

2006 ranked in 9 straight polls to end the season
2008 ranked in 8 straight polls to begin the season

I think the only losses that help Wake this week are SMU and App St assuming Boise St hangs on. That would only open up 20 or 21 for Wake.

It's pretty clear that Wake was penalized for the L'ville loss too heavily. We probably should be at 16-18 had the voters treated us with more respect (i.e. dropping us out from the top 20).

I actually completely disagree. I’m actually surprised we were ranked again as quickly as we were. I realize we weren’t at full strength for the Louisville game but that was an embarrassing loss, at home against a truly mediocre team. With two weeks to prepare. I’m still pissed about how poorly we played in every facet of the game. Can’t have games like that if you want to be taken seriously on a national level.

That said, yesterday was a great step in the right direction. First time this year that we have really put it all together and crushed a team we were clearly better than across the board. Hope we can keep that momentum going next Saturday.

I don’t think anybody making a poll from scratch would have us as low as we are. There’s certainly little reason for several one loss G5 teams to be ranked ahead of us. Boise State’s big win was FSU and they lost to BYU. How is that better than us? I think we will be ranked higher in the CFP than the polls.

It's just laziness by the voters. Losing to L'ville sucked and we didn't play our best game, but it's impressive that we didn't roll over and were a blown replay call away from stealing a game we didn't deserve to win based on how we came out.

Looking they way we've played (one of the top offenses in the country) we are seriously underrated. If the name on our Jersey was FSU, Miami or even UNC we'd be 15th coming into this week.

And the voters fall in love with the SMU, App St and other G5 teams that have schedules worse than the ACC in general.

If we started the season ranked like Cuse, we'd definitely be top 15.

I actually completely disagree. I’m actually surprised we were ranked again as quickly as we were. I realize we weren’t at full strength for the Louisville game but that was an embarrassing loss, at home against a truly mediocre team. With two weeks to prepare. I’m still pissed about how poorly we played in every facet of the game. Can’t have games like that if you want to be taken seriously on a national level.

That said, yesterday was a great step in the right direction. First time this year that we have really put it all together and crushed a team we were clearly better than across the board. Hope we can keep that momentum going next Saturday.

FWIW I have seen a few people talking about Louisville winning out and taking the Orange Bowl slot if the Deacs drop 2 of their final 4 and the Coastal can't get it together. Seems like Cards groupies though.

Louisville is 5-3, 3-2 and finishes @Miami, @State, home for Syracuse, and @Kentucky. Not inconceivable that they could go 4-0 through that stretch, but not likely either. Miami looked a lot better yesterday against FSU in the portions of the game that I saw.

It’s definitely possible for Louisville to win out but who would be ranked between a 9-3 Wake and a 9-3 Louisville?

Wake at #22 in the new AP poll. We got jumped by Memphis (deserved) and jumped over App (also deserved) who fell out of the poll. Only new poll entrant is Navy, giving the AAC four teams in the poll (Cincy #17, Memphis #19, SMU #23, Navy #25). More ranked teams than the ACC (just 2, Clemson at #4 and Wake at #22), the PAC 12 (Oregon at #7, Utah at #8), Big 12 (Oklahoma at #9 , Baylor at #11 and Kansas State at #20). AAC may end up having five teams ranked next week because UCF is sitting at #26 and it doesn't seem likely any of the five will lose until 11/16.

Last edited:
Louisville is 5-3, 3-2 and finishes @Miami, @State, home for Syracuse, and @Kentucky. Not inconceivable that they could go 4-0 through that stretch, but not likely either. Miami looked a lot better yesterday against FSU in the portions of the game that I saw.

Yeah the odds of them going 4-0 is under 5 percent for sure. They’re 7 point dogs this week at Miami and they’re not gonna be more than a slight favorite over state (although I do think they’re better) then they will be dogs to Kentucky too

I don't think the voters hate us, it's just that we never enter their mind. Even in North Carolina, we're known as "Switzerland". Clawson has given us respect, and we poll where we should be. Teams that are loved get the benefit of the doubt like ND.

I mean Wake has played like one top 50 team by the computer models and it was at home (UNC). It’s great we are 7-1 but isn’t surprising that we aren’t top 15 or anything IMO. Hell we only play like two top 50 teams max (Clemson obviously). Schedule is what it is though and we’ve handled business in close games.

Here's a comparison to keep in mind:

Last year, the first CFP rankings included four undefeated teams (Bama, Clemson, ND, UCF) and eight 1-loss P5 teams. The lowest ranked 1-loss P5 team was WVU at #13. They had two top 25 wins against Texas Tech and Texas. Frenso State was the lone G6 1-loss team at #23.

This year, there are seven undefeated teams and five 1-loss P5 teams. There are plenty of 1-loss G5 teams as well.

Let's look at the AAC.

Cinn - beat UCLA (currently 4-5), crushed by Ohio St 42-0. Other wins against other AAC teams or other non-P5
UCF - beat Standford (currently 4-4), lost to Pitt.. Other wins against other AAC teams or other non-P5
Navy - Lost to Memphis. All wins against other AAC teams or other non-P5
Memphis - beat Miss (3-6), Lost to Temple. Beat SMU (AAC) Other wins against other AAC teams or other non-P5
SMU - best TCU (4-4). Lost to Memphis in a L'vill-esc 48-54 game. Other wins against other AAC teams or other non-P5

ECU, Houston, UConn, Tulsa are a combined 1-19 in the AAC. 10-26 overall.

Bottom of the ACC 4-16 in conf. 13-20 overall.

Tell me the AAC really deserves 4 or 5 teams ranked.

Back