• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely are. Bad news for Wake is State was 14th and 6-2 when they lost to Wake (I mean that we won that game isn’t bad news) and state fell all the way out of the CFP never to return

Definitely are. Bad news for Wake is State was 14th and 6-2 when they lost to Wake (I mean that we won that game isn’t bad news) and state fell all the way out of the CFP never to return

yeah but we were a pretty bad team at the time

Yeah the equivalent on our schedule would be a loss to Duke if we beat VPI and lose to Clemson. Obviously a loss to Syracuse would be far worse.

Yeah, you people need to stop getting ahead of yourselves and take it one game at a time.

The best would be if UVA loses to Liberty but wins the Coastal at 8-4.

so, 100% of the times that a Big 4 school has been 9-3, they've been unranked in the CFP rankings

obviously I hope we go the Orange Bowl even if we lose at VT - I just don't think it's likely; I believe a 9-4 VA, VT, or Pitt would all have stronger resumes than a 9-3 WF who lost to VT

No lock the Coastal Champ is 9-3, FPI has UVa at 8.7 wins, VT would be at 7.4 in the event they beat us and Pitt is at 7.7

I don't see us staying ranked at 9-3. If we lose to VT, we probably fall out anyway and we wouldn't get back unless we beat Clemson.

I'll dig into the ranking thing at some point, pretty sure I saw in the past in relation to the non-P5 team that they'd keep ranking them if there was not one in the top 25. Don't see why an ACC team for the OB would be any different

No lock the Coastal Champ is 9-3, FPI has UVa at 8.7 wins, VT would be at 7.4 in the event they beat us and Pitt is at 7.7

Yes

But if we lose at VT and Clemson then 9-3 is not close to a lock for us either

I think this is for the OB. A win and a Clemson loss probably means we stay around 19-20. We may be able to afford a loss to duke followed up by a win at Cuse to stay Around fringe 25th. That’s the only way I see 9-3 working out in our favor regarding the OB. A loss to VT and I don’t see us getting back in the rankings unless we beat Clemson of course.

Biff is right. Just worry about jumping ugly on the Hokies. That said, I don't care about the rankings, just get us to Miami. A number on a forgotten list means less than a BIG silver bowl, filled with plastic oranges, sitting in our trophy case for next one hundred years.

The idea that a 1 loss Wake team goes to the playoffs over a 1 loss Bama team is insane, right? Am I taking crazy pills here?

counter intuitively i think a bama team that loses to lsu would be the team most likely to
be punished by the cfp for a weak SOS / OOC. might be a different story if they win out (wins over LSU and @Auburn) and lose in the SECCG. Still, it’s unlikely that there are multiple undefeated or one-loss teams that have a win better that @Clemson which is what we would be riding on.

to biffs point, i think the committee common sense by ignoring “rank at the time of the game” and instead going with how good a team has proven to be. eg it doesn’t matter if texas was top 10 when LSU played them if they suck, not does it matter if teams like cincy were unranked early if we’ve discovered they are good over the course of the year.

Which is why a one loss Wake would need UNC, VT, and Louisville to win out. If our one loss was by a fluky 3 point loss to a 9-3 Louisville team 5 weeks before beating Clemson in Death Valley, the committee would have to look favorably on that.

Which is why a one loss Wake would need UNC, VT, and Louisville to win out. If our one loss was by a fluky 3 point loss to a 9-3 Louisville team 5 weeks before beating Clemson in Death Valley, the committee would have to look favorably on that.

Don't think we need them all to win out, but Loui would def be best to make that loss look as good as poss

Hey I was just thinking about bowlgames and we're about to be bowl eligible because we intercepted a pass against UTEP which is in El Paso. Pretty cool coincidence because you might wind up in El Paso as a reward and we've already been there. But I wonder if there's a way we can setup a BATTLE OF NORTH CAROLINA at the Tire Bowl in Charlotte. It would be a home game for us but we challenge you.

So do we all agree unranked across-the-board?

I think it was pretty clear that the Orange Bowl would be required to select the ACC team which is ranked highest in the CFP rankings (other than any teams in the top 4). But what if no other ACC team is ranked in the CFP top 25? Do they look at the “others receiving votes” in either the AP or Coaches? Does the Orange Bowl just get to pick themselves? If there is any sort of discretion I would have to imagine we’re screwed

Not ranked in AP or Coaches Poll.

AP Top 25
1. LSU (9-0)

2. Ohio State (9-0)

3. Clemson (10-0)

4. Oregon (8-1)

5. Alabama (8-1)

6. Georgia (8-1)

7. Minnesota (9-0)

8. Utah (8-1)

9. Penn State (8-1)

10. Baylor (9-0)