• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow I was wrong my apologies. OB committee would get the option if there isn’t a second team ranked

Can you imagine the Orange Bowl lobbying the CFP committee not to rank 9-3 Wake so they can get a wildcard ACC pick ? Yeah, I can imagine that.

So my reading is that they would still have to take an ACC team, but they would get to make the choice, rather than being forced to take the ranked team.

well shit. Guessing UVA or Miami gets the nod then? Even beating Duke and Cuse probably won't get us back into the rankings without a lot of other teams losing.

IAppreciateit pointed it out a few weeks ago, but tons of teams lose over the last few weeks of the year so it's possible for Wake to move back. Generally agree though that it's easy to envision a scenario where we don't move back in even with two wins. Also based on the last few years for the Coastal champ, there hasn't been much punishment for losing to Clemson in the ACCCG so if UVA is ranked at 9-3 entering that game it's tough to imagine jumping them.

Someone who is less lazy than me needs to look at the schedules of the teams currently ranked 16-25 and eyeball some possible losses.

If we get pounded by Clemson we’ll be completely off the CFP radar, and there would be no reason for them to care about a team that potentially beats Duke and Syracuse to end the year

Using the Massey consolidated rankings, WF has zero wins against the top 50 this season. Two losses are to #’s 46 and 49.

Not even a little bit surprised that the Orange Bowl gets flexibility to pick its team if there is no one ranked.

Well a pretty good reason is it’s not too common for a 9-3 team to not be ranked from a P5 conference.

Someone who is less lazy than me needs to look at the schedules of the teams currently ranked 16-25 and eyeball some possible losses.

16. ND - 7-2- - Navy, BC, @ Stanford - Very little chance they lose 2 of these. We want them to win out and go to a NY6 bowl and not take an ACC bowl anyways.

17. Cincy - 8-1 - @USF, Temple, @Memphis - Would probably need to lose 2 of these. Somewhat decent chance it could happen.

18. Memphis - 8-1 - @Houston, @USF, Cincy - See above.

19. Texas - 6-3 - @Iowa St, @Baylor, Texas Tech - Good chance they lose at least 1, probably 2, and fall out.

20. Iowa - 6-3 - Minnesota, Illinois, @Nebraska - Good chance they lose at least 1, possibly 2, and fall out.

21. Boise St - 8-1 - New Mexico, @Utah St, @Colorado St - Need Jordan Love to beat them to have any chance of jumping. Even then, may not be enough.

22. Oklahoma St - 6-3 - Kansas, @WVU, Oklahoma - Likely to lose only 1. Unsure if we'd jump them. Probably not.

23. Navy - 7-1 - ND, SMU, @Houston, vs. Army - Likely to lose 2. Would definitely jump them if so.

24. Kansas St - 6-3 - WVU, @Texas Tech, Iowa St - May need them to lose 2. Big win over Oklahoma.

25. App St - 8-1 - @Georgia St, Texas St, @Troy - Need them to lose 1

Basically, root for all the teams above to have 2 more losses (besides ND), and root for UNC over Pitt, Pitt over VT, VT over UVA. Or Liberty over UVA would be huge. Also root for a B1G team to go to the Orange Bowl to open up the Citrus.

If we go 9-3, ND doesn't take an ACC slot, and the Citrus is open, I don't think we'll fall past Orlando.

Basically, root for all the teams above to have 2 more losses (besides ND), and root for UNC over Pitt, Pitt over VT, VT over UVA. Or Liberty over UVA would be huge. Also root for a B1G team to go to the Orange Bowl to open up the Citrus.

If we go 9-3, ND doesn't take an ACC slot, and the Citrus is open, I don't think we'll fall past Orlando.

I think citrus is only open it Orange Bowl takes a B1G team opposite the ACC team. I have no idea what the chances are of that.

“Capital One Orange Bowl
The Capital One Orange Bowl will host the ACC Champion (or highest ranked ACC team not ranked in the top four against the highest ranked available team from the Big Ten, SEC or Notre Dame following team selection by the Rose (Big Ten) and Sugar (SEC) bowls.

VRBO Citrus Bowl/Camping World Bowl
If the ACC opponent in the Capital One Orange Bowl is from the Big Ten, then an ACC team will be selected for the VRBO Citrus Bowl. The Camping World Bowl has the first pick of an ACC team after the CFP, New Year’s Six Bowls and Citrus Bowl are filled.”

There is no way there will be a B1G team ranked higher than one of BAMA/Georgia/Florida left for the OB after OSU goes to playoff and Rose Bowl pucks the next highest B1G team. So I don’t think citrus bowl will be in play.

Me neither. Probably need to root against Florida, who most are picking there. Solid chance PSU and Minnesota (assuming OSU wins out) make NY6 bowls and would be possibilities.

ETA - Nevermind. Seems almost impossible.

16. ND - 7-2- - Navy, BC, @ Stanford - Very little chance they lose 2 of these. We want them to win out and go to a NY6 bowl and not take an ACC bowl anyways.

17. Cincy - 8-1 - @USF, Temple, @Memphis - Would probably need to lose 2 of these. Somewhat decent chance it could happen.

18. Memphis - 8-1 - @Houston, @USF, Cincy - See above.

19. Texas - 6-3 - @Iowa St, @Baylor, Texas Tech - Good chance they lose at least 1, probably 2, and fall out.

20. Iowa - 6-3 - Minnesota, Illinois, @Nebraska - Good chance they lose at least 1, possibly 2, and fall out.

21. Boise St - 8-1 - New Mexico, @Utah St, @Colorado St - Need Jordan Love to beat them to have any chance of jumping. Even then, may not be enough.

22. Oklahoma St - 6-3 - Kansas, @WVU, Oklahoma - Likely to lose only 1. Unsure if we'd jump them. Probably not.

23. Navy - 7-1 - ND, SMU, @Houston, vs. Army - Likely to lose 2. Would definitely jump them if so.

24. Kansas St - 6-3 - WVU, @Texas Tech, Iowa St - May need them to lose 2. Big win over Oklahoma.

25. App St - 8-1 - @Georgia St, Texas St, @Troy - Need them to lose 1

Additionally:

#17 Cincy and #18 Memphis will probably play two weeks in a row, the last game of the regular season and in the AAC championship game
#21 Boise should play San Diego St. in their conference championship game
#25 App State should play Louisanna-LA in the SunBelt championship game

At this point I don't care where we end up. I just hope for a quality opponent who won't give a shit about playing the Deacons (like A&M did). USC in the Sun, Tenn or Mizzou in the Belk, Texas or Oklahoma St in the Camping World. I probably won't be able to attend, therefore I'll buy 2 tix and donate them to the school or the local Big Brothers.

Back