• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is Wake Clemson's only chance of playing another ranked team this season (besides maybe UVA in the ACCCG)? What a terrible schedule. And if they win out, of course they get in, probably 1 or 2. So again, what's the incentive for the Big 5 (Bama, Clemson, UGA, Oklahoma, OSU) to ever play anyone tough OOC? They don't ever get penalized for it. Come in preseason top 5, beat up on shitty OOC opponents, more than half your league usually stinks, play maybe 1 or 2 tough games a season, and we get the same shit every year.

If the defending champs go undefeated, they are getting a place in the playoffs, no question.

I'd rather have an undefeated Clemson prior year national champion then a 1 loss SEC team.

Sounds like 4 teams isn't enough. Go ahead and expand the college football playoffs to 8 teams.

I don't think Ph is right because Clemson has been given so much benefit of the doubt already this season. I don't see Wake going 11-1 or UNC-CH making a huge run either.

However, I do think he's right about the way the voters should be thinking. If I may quote myself from the CFB thread:

Clemson is building a Playoff resume on potential wins over Wake Forest, UVa, and the fourth best team in both SEC divisions.

Going undefeated against Wake, UVa, Texas A&M, and South Carolina and the rest of the ACC does not stand up to the rigor that even tOSU will face. Same goes for a one-loss Auburn (Oregon), LSU (Texas), Georgia (Notre Dame), or Alabama (weak OOC but still has everybody else) team.

It's only partly Clemson's fault, but the ACC is just plain weak and A&M is maybe Music City Bowl-good.

BTW, I expect LSU to annihilate Texas A&M at Death Valley this year as revenge for that ridiculous overtime game last year.

I don't think Ph is right because Clemson has been given so much benefit of the doubt already this season. I don't see Wake going 11-1 or UNC-CH making a huge run either.

However, I do think he's right about the way the voters should be thinking. If I may quote myself from the CFB thread:

Going undefeated against Wake, UVa, Texas A&M, and South Carolina and the rest of the ACC does not stand up to the rigor that even tOSU will face. Same goes for a one-loss Auburn (Oregon), LSU (Texas), Georgia (Notre Dame), or Alabama (weak OOC but still has everybody else) team.

It's only partly Clemson's fault, but the ACC is just plain weak and A&M is maybe Music City Bowl-good.

So basically you don't think I'm right, but I should be.

So basically you don't think I'm right, but I should be.

Yep.

The eye test is always influenced by prior perception of the team and program. Aside from Clemson’s win against A&M, Wake has been approximately as impressive as Clemson. Although I think CU would have handled Utah State about like they did A&M.

every single year the public overestimates the chances of a bunch of teams all going undefeated. it’s possible but even elite teams are more likely to drop a game than it may seem. nick saban has coached 24 seasons and only has a single undefeated team (2009 bama)

Yeah, but at one point during the ‘79 season we were ranked as high as 14th in the AP. Seemed unbelievable at the time. As did the possibility of Wake going to a bowl game.

You’re right. Believe we were there at the same time. 73-77 was awful. Then in 79 we had our miracle season with Mackovic as coach. Fun times beating Auburn and Georgia.

#16 was the highest Wake was ranked. Thanks, BIGJOEONTHEGO. Conor put us at #20.

EFqSg_GUUAAXX90

Where will Wake be ranked in AP next week? POLL

An OU guy has us at #16 too. A UF writer has us at #18.

Last edited:
Not ranked by the beat writers from Oklahoma, Temple, Pitt, Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Wyoming, Syracuse, LSU, West Virginia, Rutgers, Nebraska, and San Jose State.

Not ranked by the beat writers from Oklahoma, Temple, Pitt, Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Wyoming, Syracuse, LSU, West Virginia, Rutgers, Nebraska, and San Jose State.
That's a lot of teams whose asses we would likely kick. I would personally only see losses to Wisconsin, Oklahoma and LSU. Everyone else is either a toss up or a probable win.

Temple guy has App State at 25 and Wake unranked.

App State is receiving more AP poll votes than 11/14 ACC teams. Weird season.

That's a lot of teams whose asses we would likely kick. I would personally only see losses to Wisconsin, Oklahoma and LSU. Everyone else is either a toss up or a probable win.

So what ?

It's not like the Wyoming beat writer ranked the Cowboys ahead of Wake.
A&M beat writer did not rank the Aggies (who are #25).
Temple beat writer did not rank the Owls.
Pitt beat writer did not rank Pitt.
WVU, Rutgers, Nebraska, and San Jose State beat writers did not rank the teams they cover.

Colorado beat writer ranked the Buffs #22 (same as the Pitt writer). The Texas beat writer actually has them at #18 ! Colorado is 4-1 with an OT loss to Air Force and wins against Nebraska, who was ranked #25 at the time and Arizona State this week, who was ranked #20 at the time. I think Wake is better, but it is only fair and appropriate that you write a letter to each of those three writers and challenge them to a duel. Pistols at Dawn !!!!

So what ?

It's not like the Wyoming beat writer ranked the Cowboys ahead of Wake.
A&M beat writer did not rank the Aggies (who are #25).
Temple beat writer did not rank the Owls.
Pitt beat writer did not rank Pitt.
WVU, Rutgers, Nebraska, and San Jose State beat writers did not rank the teams they cover.

Colorado beat writer ranked the Buffs #22 (same as the Pitt writer). The Texas beat writer actually has them at #18 ! Colorado is 4-1 with an OT loss to Air Force and wins against Nebraska, who was ranked #25 at the time and Arizona State this week, who was ranked #20 at the time. I think Wake is better, but it is only fair and appropriate that you write a letter to each of those three writers and challenge them to a duel. Pistols at Dawn !!!!

Yeah, that is some pretty strange voting. And it's not a big deal either way. But once you're five games into the season, an undefeated P5 team should be ranked by any beat writer, irrespective of context. It's all good; winning takes care of everything.

WHAT THE FUCK DAVE REARDON? Dude had our high water mark last week, then drops us to 24 after we win on the road? Who pooped in his pineapple?

Back