• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not ranked by the beat writers from Oklahoma, Temple, Pitt, Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Wyoming, Syracuse, LSU, West Virginia, Rutgers, Nebraska, and San Jose State.

We were on a mini-roll last year, then the Pitt score was closer than the game - not that close - they beat us up, in Winston.

And it will help to beat Syracuse this year, since that's a vote of no-respect. LOWF.

Last, Texas A&M considers our bowl win an asterisk game, since Mack...errrrr....Jimbo was not officially on the sidelines. LOWF.

Nebraska treated us like Presbyterian College when we played in Lincoln. LOWF.

They all suck.

Claw is going to keep wearing those bad ass middle age whited dude coach shades and kicking ass, so they will be forced to rank us soon.

Texas A&M considers our bowl win an asterisk game, since Mack...errrrr....Jimbo was not officially on the sidelines.
Nah, instead ESPN just gave him some air time in the booth during the game. It seemed like a preseason NFL game where they were doing an interview with a coach during live play, even if he officially started after that game.

First time ranked in the AP since 10/12/08 (#21).

Last time hoops was ranked? 2/15/10 (#23).

Ugh.

First time ranked in the AP since 10/12/08 (#21).

Last time hoops was ranked? 2/15/10 (#23).

Ugh.

Our football team went unranked for nearly 11 years from 1992-2003, and nearly 11 years again from 2008-present.

Barring an incredible turnaround in the first year by Manning's replacement in the 2020-2021 season, the basketball team's ranking drought will eclipse each of those. You'd have to go back to the 1960s to find a worse unranked stretch of Wake basketball.

Our football team went unranked for nearly 11 years from 1992-2003, and nearly 11 years again from 2008-present.

Barring an incredible turnaround in the first year by Manning's replacement in the 2020-2021 season, the basketball team's ranking drought will eclipse each of those. You'd have to go back to the 1960s to find a worse unranked stretch of Wake basketball.

Makes sense. WF is a football school with a football culture albeit small in size compared to SEC and Big 10, etc.

You’re right. Believe we were there at the same time. 73-77 was awful. Then in 79 we had our miracle season with Mackovic as coach. Fun times beating Auburn and Georgia.

That was my freshman year. I can still remember the Dean during orientation saying 'there is football season while we wait for the basketball season to start'. I still have my horrible hanky. I remember being on the quad (listening to the radio broadcast when UGA missed the desperation 60 yd (or so) FG). I'm pretty sure the game was not televised and, obviously, Al Gore hadn't invented the internet by then.

Not ranked by the beat writers from Oklahoma, Temple, Pitt, Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas A&M, Wyoming, Syracuse, LSU, West Virginia, Rutgers, Nebraska, and San Jose State.

Not just the unranked but, if I read it correctly, 7 had us at 25. That would be ok it those were some BS schools out west or up north (I'm talking to you Minnesota), but Clemson and ND? I know it's only press, but there is a reason they have affiliations and those two schools would benefit more by Wake being as high as possible during the season.

Make no mistake about it, this can be a really fun season, but this is not a Wake team that is skating by with smoke and mirrors (hi Jay Bilas). Our defense is certainly not great but it has come up with some big plays. It just has to be 'good enough', the Patriots have won at least one Super Bowl with 'good enough'.

I can't recall a wake team with this many offensive weapons, QB, RB, WR TE. And if we take last year as an example, our teams, under Clawson, seem to get better as the season progresses, which is why the teams that look like they can go undefeated don't, because the top teams start out at a very high level and the mid-level teams can improve to be closer to the top teams.

Not just the unranked but, if I read it correctly, 7 had us at 25. That would be ok it those were some BS schools out west or up north (I'm talking to you Minnesota), but Clemson and ND? I know it's only press, but there is a reason they have affiliations and those two schools would benefit more by Wake being as high as possible during the season.

Make no mistake about it, this can be a really fun season, but this is not a Wake team that is skating by with smoke and mirrors (hi Jay Bilas). Our defense is certainly not great but it has come up with some big plays. It just has to be 'good enough', the Patriots have won at least one Super Bowl with 'good enough'.

I can't recall a wake team with this many offensive weapons, QB, RB, WR TE. And if we take last year as an example, our teams, under Clawson, seem to get better as the season progresses, which is why the teams that look like they can go undefeated don't, because the top teams start out at a very high level and the mid-level teams can improve to be closer to the top teams.

Good points about the defense.

Nasir Greer, Strnad, Bassey all over the field. Greer has been tremendous, and shown real speed in tracking guys down in the open field.

Clemson beat us 63-3 at our place last year. They tried to run out the clock and kept scoring because we were incapable of making a tackle; 3 different guys went for 100+ yards.

Of course the Clemson beat writer doesn't give us any respect. Similar for the ND beat writer who watched them torch us for 56 last year.

Wasn't it Herbie and co. who coined smoke and mirrors about the 2006 team? Don't think that was a b'ball thing, unless it was said about us in both sports

Watching the highlights of the BC game from ‘06 last week, we had some serious talent on defense. Nothing smoke and mirrors about that.

Made this chart at the end of the basketball season:

HT9iB8W.jpg

But because I don't want to just bring things down with a sad basketball chart in a football thread, I put together this QB comp for Jamie to our top 3 yardage leaders all time (which also happens to be our most recent group. I wanted to do top 5 but Sports-Reference didn't have game logs for the older players, for those wondering #4 - Brian Kuklick, #5 - Mike Elkins). Can only do team wins because the player game logs don't attribute the win to any particular QB and I just didn't feel like going to go back through to see which games people started and modify the data. So every game they played in counted even if they only attempted 1 pass, but so far Jamie is putting up some great numbers in his earliest games and will be interesting to see where he can get in hopefully the next 20 or so games of his Wake career.

r4LkOle.jpg

Clemson beat us 63-3 at our place last year. They tried to run out the clock and kept scoring because we were incapable of making a tackle; 3 different guys went for 100+ yards.

Of course the Clemson beat writer doesn't give us any respect. Similar for the ND beat writer who watched them torch us for 56 last year.

Games 1-3 sure, there is no body of work, but at 5-0? These guys supposedly follow the ACC, so they are just lazy. They would/should know we fired the DC mid-season last year.

#16 was the highest Wake was ranked. Thanks, BIGJOEONTHEGO. Conor put us at #20.

EFqSg_GUUAAXX90

Connor you put Memphis ahead of us? Who gave them their last loss? Trying to hard to not be a homer

WHAT THE FUCK DAVE REARDON? Dude had our high water mark last week, then drops us to 24 after we win on the road? Who pooped in his pineapple?

Maybe saw my patreon comment and my subsequent lack of supplied funds. I appreciate the hustle Daveo

How are there 3 voters w auburn @ #1?

There are some voters who try to take preseason expectations out of the equation and just look at the body of work... Similar to CFP rankings.

Auburn probably has the best resume right now.

Trivia that I heard on SiriusXM yesterday... In the very first CFP Rankings (2014), Miss State was #1. They weren't in the preseason Top 25 and didn't make the AP Poll until week 4 when the entered at #14 after winning @ #8 LSU to go 4-0. Started the season 9-0, with wins (consecutively) @ #8 LSU, #6 Texas A&M, and #2 Auburn. Lost 2 of last 3 (@ #5 Alabama and @ #18 Ole Miss) and didn't make the playoff. Also lost bowl game vs. #10 GT.

Last edited:
Back