• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where will Wake be ranked in CFP poll next week?

Where will Wake be ranked in the AP next week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newspaper this morning had FSU listed as "12" in the ACC roundup column. Ahead of Wake. WTF?

Yes? All three of their losses are to ranked opposition, and all three by a combined 14 points

Not ranked in AP or Coaches Poll.

AP Top 25
1. LSU (9-0)

2. Ohio State (9-0)

3. Clemson (10-0)

4. Oregon (8-1)

5. Alabama (8-1)

6. Georgia (8-1)

7. Minnesota (9-0)

8. Utah (8-1)

9. Penn State (8-1)

10. Baylor (9-0)

11. Florida (8-2)

12. Oklahoma (8-1)

13. Michigan (7-2)

14. Auburn (7-2)

15. Memphis (8-1)

16. Wisconsin (7-2)

17. Notre Dame (7-2)

18. Cincinnati (7-1)

19. Appalachian State (8-1)

20. Boise State (8-1)

21. SMU (9-1)

22. Navy (7-1)

23. Indiana (7-2)

24. Virginia Tech (6-3)

25. Texas (6-3)

Coaches Poll
1. LSU (9-0)

2. Ohio State (9-0)

3. Clemson (10-0)

4. Alabama (8-1)

5. Georgia (8-1)

6. Oregon (8-1)

7. Minnesota (9-0)

8. Oklahoma (8-1)

9. Utah (8-1)

10. Baylor (9-0)

11. Penn State (8-1)

12. Florida (8-2)

13. Auburn (7-2)

14. Michigan (7-2)

15. Wisconsin (7-2)

16. Notre Dame (7-2)

17. Cincinnati (8-1)

18. Memphis (8-1)

19. Boise State (8-1)

20. SMU (9-1)

21. Navy (7-1)

22. Iowa (6-3)

23. Texas (6-3)

24. Appalachian State (8-1)

25. Indiana (7-2)

You posted one voter’s ballot for the AP poll. VT is not (yet) ranked in the AP football top 25
https://apnews.com/APTop25CollegeFootballPoll

Last edited:
The CFP is the only poll that matters regarding bowl selection.

CFPR

Am I wrong in assuming this is what the playoffs and eventual bowls rely on?

Yes, you’re wrong. CFPR are just another list

The College Football Playoff rankings for this week will be revealed Tuesday at 7:00

The more I look at the committee rankings this week and the way they’ve handled teams in the past Wake may have a better shot at staying 24/25 than I thought. Regardless I think after next week we will be out so let’s just focus on winning against duke and Syracuse.

We will be -6.5 or so against Duke and -7.5 or 8 against Cuse (pending what everyone does this week)

For final CFP rankings purposes, we may get some benefit from having already been in the rankings vis-a-vis a UVa who would be a new entrant (and won't have beaten anybody that great)

No coincidence that the teams who haven’t played Clemson yet or don’t at all (UVA, Pitt, VPI, Miami, Wake) are the teams in the hunt for second place ranking. Then whatever duke is doing.

You started a game behind everybody else this year if you played Clemson.

I'm still wondering what happens to the ACC Orange Bowl slot if there is no ACC team is ranked in the CFP top 25 (other than Clemson who make they palyoff)? Does the Orange Bowl just get to pick themselves? Do they look at the AP or Coaches poll instead? If there is any sort of discretion I would have to imagine we’re screwed.

I feel like the CFP "selection committee" would just give the Orange Bowl folks a call to see who they want to choose and then just slot them in at #25.

I'm still wondering what happens to the ACC Orange Bowl slot if there is no ACC team is ranked in the CFP top 25 (other than Clemson who make they palyoff)? Does the Orange Bowl just get to pick themselves? Do they look at the AP or Coaches poll instead? If there is any sort of discretion I would have to imagine we’re screwed.

I feel like the CFP "selection committee" would just give the Orange Bowl folks a call to see who they want to choose and then just slot them in at #25.

Everyone will make fun of the ACC for a month.

Like I said, we just need a respectable loss this saturday (say 41-17) and then throttle duke and cuse. Then see how everything else turns out with the other ACC teams.

They definitely would not do the last part.

They rank until they get to an ACC team. Came across a couple articles earlier this week discussing this in the context of no ranked G5 champion from like 2016 or 2017 and a committee member said they'd rank until they got to one. No reason to believe that would be any different.

Back