• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville Game Time - 7:30 ACCN

Finally got to watch the whole thing yesterday, and I am sure much of this has been stated, but I am not exactly mad about that game. Mistakes were made, especially on special teams, but those can be fixed. Louisville had more speed than us and used it well, but how many other teams are going to have that kind of speed. Missed assignments and missed tackles can be corrected. I saw a team that kept playing hard till the end. No panic, no lowly old Wake Forest, we are gonna lose this game, the offense kept humming no matter who was in. We have something special with Surratt and Washington, and even Hinton is not much of a drop off from Dortch.

Maybe our bye week plan really sucks, but thankfully we have no more byes. Louisville played a heck of a game, but so did we. I do not think we will be goin 10-2, as we clearly are mortal, but this is still a fun team to watch. I felt like I was watching some mid 2000's Texas Tech, just waiting to see how fast we could score.

Of our 6 remaining games in the regular season I'd say at least half probably have speed comparable to Louisville. There is no way to sugar coat that game, but as you said the one positive to come from it is the fight our guys showed.

Finally got to watch the whole thing yesterday, and I am sure much of this has been stated, but I am not exactly mad about that game. Mistakes were made, especially on special teams, but those can be fixed. Louisville had more speed than us and used it well, but how many other teams are going to have that kind of speed. Missed assignments and missed tackles can be corrected. I saw a team that kept playing hard till the end. No panic, no lowly old Wake Forest, we are gonna lose this game, the offense kept humming no matter who was in. We have something special with Surratt and Washington, and even Hinton is not much of a drop off from Dortch.

Maybe our bye week plan really sucks, but thankfully we have no more byes. Louisville played a heck of a game, but so did we. I do not think we will be goin 10-2, as we clearly are mortal, but this is still a fun team to watch. I felt like I was watching some mid 2000's Texas Tech, just waiting to see how fast we could score.

That was part of what made the bad call on the ladt onsides kick so frustrating. Wake ball on 23 going in, one minute left, no timeouts. TD coming, no problem. At Wake speed that would be time for 5 or 6 plays, easily, including some runs.

Just like against USU at the end. Wake needed 75 yards, got 74 in under 30 seconds. Took the rest of the two minutes to get the final yard.

That was part of what made the bad call on the ladt onsides kick so frustrating. Wake ball on 23 going in, one minute left, no timeouts. TD coming, no problem. At Wake speed that would be time for 5 or 6 plays, easily, including some runs.

Just like against USU at the end. Wake needed 75 yards, got 74 in under 30 seconds. Took the rest of the two minutes to get the final yard.

If Wake gets awarded the on-side kick -> WF 73 UL 69

FSU and Clemson have as much (and more) speed than UL.

We have another Bye after the FSU game.

But yes, considering how "un-Wake Forest" we played, we still hung around somehow.

How long has two byes in a season been a thing? Maybe I am only just now realizing it because of how bad we are off of byes.

And I would say Clemson and FSU, maybe State have that kind of speed on offense, lets see what happens.

Also Wellman on the Harley, who thought that was a good idea? Whats next [redacted] riding in for the FSU game?

The events of the last OSK are strange. Many say CBS clearly had the kick recovered and was on the ground. Play dead then? No.
Refs ruled he was hit (ball loose) and a roughing penalty called on UL. Seems we should have gotten the ball plus 15 yards.
Perhaps the refs thought that would be virtually handing the game to Wake and we got the resulting call. UL got the ball and a harmless penalty. Game over.

And I don't know if anybody's mentioned it but those fireworks from the Dixie Classic Fair were the most pathetic I've ever seen. They were mostly blocked by the scoreboard or a tree in the end zone they were so low

I'm sure it has already been mentioned before somewhere, but the starting field position for Louisville was bonkers. They had drives that began at the wake 28, 13, 46, 15 yard lines along with drives that started at the UL 45, 44, and midfield. That is fucking INSANITY.

I'm sure it has already been mentioned before somewhere, but the starting field position for Louisville was bonkers. They had drives that began at the wake 28, 13, 46, 15 yard lines along with drives that started at the UL 45, 44, and midfield. That is fucking INSANITY.

I really believe that this game was a complete fluke. It would be nearly impossible to recreate the perfect storm that led to that loss.

I really believe that this game was a complete fluke. It would be nearly impossible to recreate the perfect storm that led to that loss.

Agree. That starts with a Cade Carney fumble which had not happened since his freshman year.

I disagree to an extent. Yes, some crazy things happened, but we got exposed too. Poor kick coverage, poor contain defense on the QB, poor pass coverage. We got smacked in the mouth and it will be interesting to see how our guys respond Saturday night against a similar type opponent.

Everyone agrees we get beat by 28 if their starting qb did not get knocked out OR if they didn’t switch to the soft prevent defense at 6 minutes in the fourth quarter. So they were much better than us and we had no business being close.

Glad that Hartman is starting Saturday and even though he will have a terrible interception somewhere in the game he will play well and our defense steps up in a 40-31 win Saturday.

Everyone happy for Sam.

I disagree to an extent. Yes, some crazy things happened, but we got exposed too. Poor kick coverage, poor contain defense on the QB, poor pass coverage. We got smacked in the mouth and it will be interesting to see how our guys respond Saturday night against a similar type opponent.

Conley made a heck of a lot of winning plays in this game despite the flood of great starting field positions. Instead of Wake taking advantage of a 3rd string freshman qb, he has an AA game. How many times has that happened to us? And reminder, a true freshman. Where were all the creative multiple blitzes we saw against UNC? I told my nephew when Conley came in we needed to bother him with relentless surprise blitzes. Didn't see one. Did anyone? Simple recipe for a win, IMO.

Last edited:
Conley made a heck of a lot of winning plays in this game despite the flood of great starting field positions. Instead of Wake taking advantage of a 3rd string freshman qb, he has an AA game. How many times has that happened to us? And reminder, a true freshman. Where were all the creative multiple blitzes we saw against UNC? I told my nephew when Conley came in we needed to bother him with relentless surprise blitzes. Didn't see one. Did anyone? Simple recipe for a win, IMO.

He was impressive the week before against BC, I wasn’t that surprised he played well against us.

. . . Where were all the creative multiple blitzes we saw against UNC? I told my nephew when Conley came in we needed to bother him with relentless surprise blitzes. Didn't see one. Did anyone? Simple recipe for a win, IMO.
DC came up short in defensive plan and prep. This is but one example. And we never adjusted to bootleg play after being blown by it multiple times.

Back