Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 NHL Thread – Playoffs???

In case you aren't watching...the Canes are using the emergency back-up goalie

He's a 42 year old zamboni driver for the Toronto Marlies

Canes were dominating the second period and then they lost their second goaltender of the game. Emergency goalie who played junior hockey like a couple decades ago is forced to enter the game halfway through the second period. By some miracle they still have a lead going into the third.

Oh, and Ovi scored his 700th goal today. So happy for him, and I loved the warm response from the New Jersey crowd.

Now Washington can stop sucking plzkthx

Absolutely bananas. One period to go.

Canes have outscored them 3-2 since Ayers came in as well

This is so crazy. I think they’re gonna do this

The Canes are playing very well defensively and Ayres is making some solid saves (I thought he'd be shelled at this point), but holy shit how inept is Toronto??

He killed a penalty!

Quote Originally Posted by ipitytheblue View Post
    Canes have outscored them 3-2 since Ayers came in as well

That's one of the best things I've ever seen.

My god that was dumb as hell by Mrazek in that situation.

BUT amazing effort by the team in the third to back up Ayres, weren't gonna be denied.

Could be big galvanizing moment. Just hope goalies are alright -- at least Ned is reliable and thankfully if they are decently hurt this happened pre-deadline

That was amazing. Could a regular position player not be the emergency goalie ?

Quote Originally Posted by qcdeac View Post
    That was amazing. Could a regular position player not be the emergency goalie ?
    I guess theoretically they could but a) it would throw off the lines/pairings and b) they'd honestly be worse at it than the zamboni driver.

As just a casual hockey fan, I find the emergency goalie thing a little bit strange. So, instead of having to put in a roster player at goalie as mentioned above, you've got a guy designated to serve as emergency goalie for either team? Isn't that kind of like instead of an NFL team having to use a roster player serve as emergency QB, having a guy on standby to play QB for either team if their starter and backup(s) all get hurt? Or a MLB team instead of using a non-pitcher rooster player as a pitcher if all your pitchers aren't available, having a guy on standby that could pitch for either team? Just seems odd, plus the fact the guy works for the Leafs organization and is probably a Leafs fan, having to go against the Leafs. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool as heck story and the guy did great, just seems really odd.
    boorish ruffian

Hockey goalie is even more specialized than those positions. A random guy who plays goalie at some level would be way better than a non goalie roster player suiting up. All the gear and stuff that a goalie needs is basically custom fit to that person, and the skates and body movements are different not to mention the techniques. A regular roster player would probably hurt themselves trying to do it, which is worse than the alternative of Zamboni driver.

Plus it basically never happens, that’s why this is such a big deal. Both roster goalies need to be badly injured in one game

Quote Originally Posted by 06deacon View Post
    Hockey goalie is even more specialized than those positions. A random guy who plays goalie at some level would be way better than a non goalie roster player suiting up. All the gear and stuff that a goalie needs is basically custom fit to that person, and the skates and body movements are different not to mention the techniques. A regular roster player would probably hurt themselves trying to do it, which is worse than the alternative of Zamboni driver.

Plus it basically never happens, that’s why this is such a big deal. Both roster goalies need to be badly injured in one game
    Thanks for the explanation. So, what if the really unthinkable happens and both teams goalies all get injuried, do they have a #2 emergency goalie waiting in the wings?
    boorish ruffian

Once two goalies go down, I'd imagine the team would be frantically calling every minor league and beer league goalie in the area.