• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-2020 NHL Thread – Playoffs???

The Canes look great! I'm not sure it mattered what division they got placed in - they're a top team. But speaking of competitive divisions...(from The Athletic)
The East Division is a gauntlet, featuring one of the most fascinatingly cruel playoff races in recent memory. A very good team is going to miss the playoffs.

Here’s what the top five teams would currently be on pace for in a normal 82-game season.

1 New York Islanders 114
2 Washington Capitals 112
3 Boston Bruins 107
4 Philadelphia Flyers 103
5 Pittsburgh Penguins 102

The margins are razor thin, every game already matters and it wouldn’t be a shock to see a team with a 100-point calibre season miss the playoffs – that’s how difficult this division is. In the Central, the fifth-best team is on pace for 82 points, in the North, it’s 79 and in the West, it’s 92 points (and I doubt the Kings keep it up).

The competition is fierce in the East and pretty much non-existent everywhere else. It’s led to some rather comical playoff probabilities where all five have been above 50 percent since mid-February. At one point, all five were at 70 percent or higher.

All the canes do is win and I have yet to watch a game. Oh well, I’ll take that for the team and catch them in the playoffs.

The Canes look great! I'm not sure it mattered what division they got placed in - they're a top team. But speaking of competitive divisions...(from The Athletic)

Jesus. There are going to be some seriously depressed fans in Pennsylvania because none of those top three are missing the playoffs. Super glad to be in the Central even though we have to go through the Lightning.

4 straight against Columbus this week. Canes should easily get 8 points out of that.

So, Tim Peel.

Any chance the League enacts meaningful changes to combat game management & the even-ing up penalties?

The Athletic power rankings this week:

30) Buffalo
31) The Suez Canal Boat
32) Philadelphia

3/27 edit: Philly really needed that regulation win against the blueshirts. Adam Fox should get a star-of-the-game for playing emergency goalie there at the end.

Last edited:
Aaron Ekblad's season may be over after a bad lower-body injury last night. It didn't look too terrible but apparently, it was pretty significant. Barkov and Hornqvist have both been out recently as well, so Florida's depth and resiliency will certainly be tested as we head into the home stretch.

The Canes have weathered their injury issues with incredible resolve all season long, losing their starting goalie in Mrazek, the second-most talented offensive player in Teuvo, a starting D man in Gardiner, and their leading scorer in Trochek. Just an outstanding showing of depth and toughness from the Canes this season. The Panthers won't be seeing any sympathy coming their way from Raliegh.

For those with Youtube TV, I believe the two Canes games this week (Tues/Thurs) will be national on NBCSN.

Nice to see a canes win but man what a sad finish for the hawks. That’d piss me off for a while if I were them.

Glad the Canes won't be facing Detroit in the playoffs this year, they have had our number this season.

Back