• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-2020 NHL Thread – Playoffs???

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/team/contract-tracker I found this to be helpful.

A lot of work to be done this offseason. This team clearly has the talent to reach the playoffs in each of the coming years. What they need, in my humble opinion, is a lot more physicality to break through in playoff hockey.

Line 1: Aho and Teuvo are locked up for now. Svetch is a RFA, and will be the biggest negotiation this offseason. Silver lining is that his lack of production probably helps us with the new (long term) contract.

Line 2: I hope they go ahead and work on a long-term deal for Necas, but he's also a RFA after next season so maybe that can wait. I think Nino probably walks after next season, and if I have to pick between him and Trocheck, I'm taking Tro.

Line 3: Staal is the man, and has two more years. Otherwise, we need an upgrade on this line, badly. Not enough offense, and not physical enough to wear teams down in the playoffs. Fast has two more years, and he is serviceable, but I'd rather have him on the 4th line. McGinn is an UFA, and I'm fine with him going elsewhere. This is where the team needs to focus in the offseason.

Line 4 (more than 3 guys): I expect Martinook to get a new contract as a fan/coach favorite and a good guy to have on the 4th line. I think Paquette is gone. Foegele is a RFA and I expect him to get a new contract. However, my absolute priority would be Geekie, who is a RFA. Lorentz has another year until he's a RFA. A 4th line of Martinook, Foegele, Geekie is quite solid. Do it.

Defense: Slavin, Pesce, and Skjei all have at least 3 years left on their contracts. Awesome. A lot of work to be done with the next 3 spots.

Unless Dougie is surprisingly reasonable, he gone. This is a team that can focus on playoff success, not just getting to the post-season. And Doug has been weak in the playoffs. I like him, and he's actually one of our best penalty shot takers in the regular season, but use the money elsewhere.

Unfortunately, Gardiner has two years left and gets paid a lot. That's probably the worst contract on the team. Maybe trade him for nothing.

I liked Hakanpaa, but I didn't like trading Fleury for him, especially given the favorable contract. I guess he's fine as a 3rd liner. Given the options, I expect an extension to be attempted.

Jake Bean is a RFA. I'll be interested to see what they do here. He's not good, but apparently he's still developing and has a high ceiling.

Hopefully, the team can find a couple solid options in free agency.

Goalie: all of them are free agents. This will be really interesting. Ned is a RFA, and probably the best option moving forward, so that's where I would expect this discussion to start. I really don't have much of a grasp of what Petr is worth, but I don't expect him to be getting a raise to be the backup, so I think that's over. Same for Reimer. Hopefully we can find a veteran to work with/back up Ned.

I think I’ve seen a lot of folks say that they expect Svech to get a bridge contract for 2-3 years that will keep him as a RFA after.

Can’t forget one of the most important contracts in franchise history - Rod’s extension.

Vegas/Montreal & Nassau County/Tampa Bay final 4? Probably not the outcome NBC wanted (even if the Avs come back), although the Islanders are an interesting story.

Of those four, I'm onboard with Vegas. Even as a Red Wings fan, I have a tremendous respect for Fleury, particularly in his WGAF late stage of his career.

Physicality is always everybody's answer after a playoff series loss but I don't think that's the problem. Fact of the matter is we couldn't afford for Svech to be a mediocre player this season, but that's what he was. It's forgivable since he's still super young but we just aren't going to win with him performing like this. If he and Necas can up their games significantly next year then we're in business.

Will give dudes like Niederreiter and Trocheck a bit of a pass b/c of injuries but it'd definitely be nice if they could replicate the form they showed over the first 40ish games when it really counts. And I wouldn't mind us coming up with some different ways of playing -- we had no answer to Tampa clogging the front of the net once they got leads. Hopefully RBA is capable of coming up with something

Avs going through some Canes esque growing pains.

Three outta four of last year's final four back this. Maybe a better year than normal to be a team off a long run the year before -- had a five month break before the playoffs last year, then a shorter than normal offseason but not ridiculously so.

Next year probably a different story

In 4 years of existence, the Golden Knights have 3 conference finals appearances and (at least) one Stanley Cup Finals appearance (and if not for a hideous 5-minute major penalty in 2019 vs. the Sharks, could have easily won that 1st round series), I'm sure some of those long-suffering hockey franchises just love to see that! Will be interesting to see if the Kraken can come close to duplicating that success off the bat.

In 4 years of existence, the Golden Knights have 3 conference finals appearances and (at least) one Stanley Cup Finals appearance (and if not for a hideous 5-minute major penalty in 2019 vs. the Sharks, could have easily won that 1st round series), I'm sure some of those long-suffering hockey franchises just love to see that! Will be interesting to see if the Kraken can come close to duplicating that success off the bat.

As a fan of an expansion franchise, I'm still bitter that the NHL basically rolled out the red carpet for Vegas and Seattle to be competitive immediately. We weren't given shit and still struggle as a result. Eff Vegas!!!

My daughter has a camp coming up with the goalie coach from the Islanders, so while I'm glad they beat Boston, I'm pulling against the Isles now.

Put a 50 spot on Price to get 37 saves tonight at +450. Probably just threw it down the drain, but I feel like Vegas will play 40+ minutes in Montreal's zone tonight.

Ugh, I want this so badly. Mike isn't bad but Forslund is king these days.

I have some good news for you in particular -- Forslund is the Kraken's announcer starting next year.

But yeah, Mike has been solid -- could have wound up a lot worse just promoting someone internally

Back