• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-2020 NHL Thread – Playoffs???

How were the trips? That's cool that you experienced Nassau versus Barclay's.

Just slightly different venues! Though Nassau is a lot better than when I went seven years ago and both def get rocking after VGK or the Isles score.

Pretty cool setup for VGK, enjoyed the walk thru MGM Grand and then all the stuff they have set up for the Knights outside. They really are benefiting from being the first show in town, if they came after another league had already shown up may have been very different.

Still can tell it's a non-trad hockey market -- not a lot of noise or cheering outside of VGK goals. But def worth going, some pretty high production value as one would expect out there

Good opportunity for him to get sharp against the worst team in the league.

Don't like these games where we're super expected to win

Red Wings just beat the Lightning in a S/O in their last game. But they traded away Athanasieou (sp?) to Edmonton so it’s mostly just Larkin and lot of young guys.

According to Hockey Buzz, the NHL is taking steps to start up on Canada Day (July 1) with the following plan:

- NHL Draft in mid-June
- Two week Camp for the top 24 teams (I guess the bottom 7 teams are done)
- 24 team playoff
- Conducted in 4 locations without fans (Alberta and Arizona are leading contenders - nothing gets the hockey juices flowing like 110 degree desert heat)

Here is the link:

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/The-NHL-to-Announce-WHOLE-Plan-at-Once-Here-it-is-e4-Thurs-Buzz/1/105638

Friedman has reported further on that: NHL, NHLPA working on 24-team conference-based playoff setup

The top four seeds (based on points percentage) in the East would be Boston, Tampa Bay, Washington and Philadelphia. Top four in the West would be St. Louis, Colorado, Vegas and Dallas.

They would receive byes through the play-in, but participate in a three-game tournament to get some action. I confess I’m not certain of all the details on if or how it would affect playoff seeding.

The rest of the playoffs would be “bracketed.” That means, in both conferences 5 vs. 12, 6 vs. 11, 7 vs. 10, and 8 vs. 9.

So that would mean an Eastern Conference opening round of:

• 5. Pittsburgh vs. 12. Montreal (winner plays four seed; Flyers)
• 6. Carolina vs. 11. Rangers (winner plays three seed; Capitals)
• 7. Islanders vs. 10. Florida (winner plays two seed; Lightning)
• 8. Toronto vs. 9. Columbus (winner plays one seed; Bruins)

And a Western Conference opening round of:

• 5. Edmonton vs. 12. Chicago (winner plays four seed; Stars)
• 6. Nashville vs. 11. Arizona (winner plays three seed; Golden Knights)
• 7. Vancouver vs. 10. Minnesota (winner plays two seed; Avalanche)
• 8. Calgary vs. 9. Winnipeg (winner plays one seed; Blues)

The play-in series would be a best-of-five. The rest of the playoffs would be best-of-seven.

Once again, it depends on approval from both the teams and players — which could come over the next few days.

Great since the Rangers own our souls. Wouldn't mind another crack at the Caps tho if we survive.

Playoffs this year would be a no-lose situation -- if canes go on a long run great, but if not plenty of legit excuses given the whackness of this process.

Thing that would give me the most optimism is having Brindy as coach, imagine he's given our players good tips on staying in shape. Could see the older Caps struggling with a return, and they were already losing their mojo at an alarming rate before the break

Back