• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

They need to figure out how to readjust the scoring for the dunk contest so that less than a 50 isn’t an insult.

They need to figure out how to readjust the scoring for the dunk contest so that less than a 50 isn’t an insult.

Need to be more 7, 8, 9s and less 10s. 10s should be reserved for the best of the best dunks.

Yeah but it’s easier sad than done when new dunks that push the limits will generally get 10s.

Yeah but it’s easier sad than done when new dunks that push the limits will generally get 10s.

It would be easier to do if they had real judges up there instead of some rappers. Get some past Dunk Contest contestants and there wouldn’t be 10s getting thrown around for the Dwight Howard rim grazers and such.

That's who the judges have typically been. I feel like Nique and Dr. J have judged every slam dunk contest the last 20 years except maybe this year and last year.

This. I would kill for some decibel points in the Dunk Contest.

I don't know if this is a typo or a joke, but a crowd noise meter bonus would help.

I don't know if this is a typo or a joke, but a crowd noise meter bonus would help.

Typo; meant decimal. Would agree with both though, decimals and noise meter would be good for the Dunk Contest. All in all, this All Star Weekend was the best in a LONG time.

My wife suggested adding a gymnastics or diving type criteria where you're submitting your dunks ahead of time to the judges and you get a degree of difficulty score assigned to each dunk where if you complete it, you know that's what score you're getting. Make it harder to get a 10, but add in decimal points.

I thought about that but I think it would suck the fun and spontaneity out of it.

I think two easy solutions are you keep current format but a tie breaker is total points for the night. That way you can still give out a bunch of 50's but guys who do that over course of whole evening get rewarded

Another thing I thought of is why couldn't you do the dunk contest where you have a few judges at game who vote and fifth or sixth judge is fans who text in scores? It keeps it from being totally fan based but also gives viewers power. It also in that case gets viewers watching so they can participate

I do like the crowd noise meter idea thrown around here though

I don't like the Clips picking up Reggie Jackson. He's been problems at his last two stops. They don't need a headache like him when he's the fourth or fifth guard on the team.

This is great

Trae with 50 in a win over the Heat. 8-15 from deep and 18-19 FT.

Trae with 50 in a win over the Heat. 8-15 from deep and 18-19 FT.

He’s averaging 29.7/9.2/4.4 on 44% from FG and 37% from three. In his second year in the NBA, with a Hawks roster filled with rookies, G-league level players, and a geriatric Vince Carter getting legit minutes. If anybody from the offseason wants to continue the argument about how he’s not a good shooter, his offense is outweighed by his defense, or how he puts up inefficient scoring, I’d absolutely love to hear it.

He’s averaging 29.7/9.2/4.4 on 44% from FG and 37% from three. In his second year in the NBA, with a Hawks roster filled with rookies, G-league level players, and a geriatric Vince Carter getting legit minutes. If anybody from the offseason wants to continue the argument about how he’s not a good shooter, his offense is outweighed by his defense, or how he puts up inefficient scoring, I’d absolutely love to hear it.

He is a good stat stuffer for sure, but note that Devonte Graham, as a second round pick from the same class, has the Hornets with a better record (.345 vs .281) with a younger roster (Vince skews that, but so does Batum and he doesn't even play) comprised of significantly lower draft pics. There is more to winning basketball than offensive stats. If I need to add a gunner to a veteran team then Young is a great fit, but I'm not sure he is the guy I want trying to lead a young team as it tries to get on the upswing.

He is a good stat stuffer for sure, but note that Devonte Graham, as a second round pick from the same class, has the Hornets with a better record (.345 vs .281) with a younger roster (Vince skews that, but so does Batum and he doesn't even play) comprised of significantly lower draft pics. There is more to winning basketball than offensive stats. If I need to add a gunner to a veteran team then Young is a great fit, but I'm not sure he is the guy I want trying to lead a young team as it tries to get on the upswing.

Yeah, that'd be a cool argument if basketball was an individual sport. This is a dumber argument than referencing QB winning % in football.

Trae has had teammates that have included: John Collins (who has played in 31 out of 57 games), Kevin Huerter (who has missed 11 games), 2 rookie wings who have both gone through really significant bad stretches of play, Jabari Parker (the player who was literally quoted saying he doesn't get paid to play defense), and that is literally it. There is nobody else on that Hawks roster (Capela excluded), who would get significant minutes on the Hornets, or any other team save the Warriors, Cavs, and Knicks. The Hawks offensive numbers without Trae in the floor have been up there with the worst in NBA history.

This concept of a stat stuffer doesn't even make sense to me, people say it like its a bad thing. Trae's averaging almost 30 ppg and 9 apg on 60.3% true shooting. Watch a Hawks game, he gets doubled all the time and still puts up great stats on great efficiency. That would play on literally any team.

Is he a terrible defender? Yes, for sure. But what gets often overlooked is the rest of the Hawks team has also been terrible on defense. Literally only Reddish has been a defensive asset, and JC has finally gotten himself up to about a mediocre defensive player. Look at what has happened to Bradley Beal's defensive stats this year with a terrible D around him. They've plummeted, because believe it or not, how well your teammates play defense affects how good you will look on that end.

All that to say, if you want to really make the case that Devonte Graham is better at leading a team to wins than Trae Young is, I'm gonna need you to make a better argument than the fact that the Hornets have more wins than the Hawks.

Last edited:
2&2 is great...the Hornets suck but not as badly as the Hawks suck as a point of reference...GREAAAAAAAAAAAATTTT!!!

When asked if Earl Campbell was in a class of his own, Oilers Coach Bum Phillips said, "He may not be a class of his own, but it doesn't take long to call the roll."

Trae Young may not be the worst defensive guard of all time, but it sure doesn't take long to name others in his class.

He also leads the NBA in TOs.

Back