• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

was looking at Kobe's stats and got into looking at all-time 3-point FGAs

was curious which guy with a career that ended before 2000 took the most threes: answer is Derek Harper at #90

there are a few guys that played the '99-'00 season that shot more, but still kinda crazy that the game has changed that much

interesting Kobe stat: the only stat in which he is #1 all-time is missed field goals

Well clearly he shouldn't make the HOF, that would be like letting the active career INT leader make the NFL HOF. He is just a compiler.

I've always thought one of true driving forces making Kobe so hard-working and so driven was how little his dad worked versus the potential legendary talent Joe had. Joe could have been an all-time great. He is a long 6'9, lefty, with great handles, could score at all levels. plus passing and could play D. He could have been Magic a couple of years before Magic appeared. From HS through college, if his teams were pressed, he'd wave everybody away and split the press by himself.

Joe was notoriously lazy. Kobe saw that and rebelled.

Kobe also saw how his uncle's refusal to study and arrogance worked against him. Chubby Cox (yep that's his name) was a playground and HS legend PG that didn't work hard, listen to coaches or live up to his talent. Kobe knew he had to do better.

where does Kobe rank for you in terms of players in your lifetime?

I'm no NBA historian and peak Kobe was before I followed the NBA, but I never loved his game and always blamed him for splitting up the Kobe-Shaq duo

that said, he's probably on the second team of guys who played since I can remember sports if positions matter -- I defs give Lebron the nod for second wing spot alongside Jordan over Kobe

another thing about Kobe is that he dominated what feels to be one of the weakest stretches of the NBA in my lifetime

They're re-airing Kobe's final game at 9 pm tonight on ESPN.

I wish they would re-air his 81 point game, since so few people saw that - I have only seen clips of that.

reading comprehension ability of a 2nd grader

Magic called Kobe the “greatest Laker of all time.” I guess you’ve got to be nice but man, he’s maybe 3rd.

a small pet peeve is when box scores list all the DNP-CD guys, but not always DNPs due to injury or other circumstances (but sometimes they do)

e.g. Derrick Rose is listed as DNP - Sore Knee today, but Harden, CP3, and Westbrook are not mentioned in their box scores

Yours goes along with pro leagues demanding public injury reports. The only real reason for doing is is for gamblers. Why should teams give the opponents help in preparing for games?

Realize that no one GAF about the Kings v. Timberwolves game, but with 2:49 left in the 4th quarter Andrew Wiggins hit a 3 pointer to put the T-wolves up 17 (115-98).

The NBA has been keeping play by play stats since the 1996-7 season. Over the last 23 seasons, NBA teams are 0-8378 when trailing by 17 or more in the last 3 minutes of regulation or OT.

Kings ended that streak last night, by winning by 4 in OT, which included De'Aaron Fox with the most amazing "intentionally missed FT with the shooter getting the rebound to score and tie the game in regulation" in basketball history.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28580267/comeback-kings-cap-historical-rally-vs-timberwolves-buddy-hield-career-night

Last edited:
Back