• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

Yeah. Probably Christmas Day. Hopefully the NBA will start on Thanksgiving weekend going forward.

According to NBA Rumors ( https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/06/latest-on-the-nbas-lottery-plans.html), looks like the lottery will be limited to the 8 teams that don't get to resume play. So, whomever gets eliminated after playing 8 games in Orlando will pick in the 9 through 14 slots.

I guess the thinking is that it would be unfair for the Spurs or the Pelicans who are getting a chance to continue their season to pick ahead of teams that were shutdown in March, but the fact of the matter is that none of the teams currently ranked from 17 to 22 have a chance to do anything other than slide into the #8 seed and get worked by #1 seed. Wonder if the GMs for any of those teams would rather be in the lottery than essentially act as the Washington Generals for a couple of weeks. That said, the draft is supposedly weak this year; so, maybe giving up a 3% to 25% chance for a top 4 pick isn't that great of a loss.

I think it's fair. There's so much uncertainty now. It's quite possible one of the 9-12 teams in the West could play into the playoffs. It's possible the top teams are rusty.

I'm excited about the possibilities from this set up. With 22 teams, there could be games all day Saturday and Sunday and 3-4 games a day during the week. I'm sure all games will be on TNT and ABC/ESPN.

If only coaches, players, and families are in the gyms, we could see coaches and players interacting with each other and each other's families while watching other games. Chuck could interview Lebron while they're watching Zion play. Coaching staffs can sit in the stands and scout live. It would bring the best aspects of Summer League atmosphere paired with NBA games.

Last edited:
NBA Owners approve the Orlando restart plan by a 29-1 vote (only the Blazers voted against it - which seems weird since they were one of the six teams that benefitted by bringing back 22 teams instead of 16). The NBAPA vote to ratify is set for tomorrow. Here are the particulars:

The NBA delivered a calendar of dates to the owners on Thursday beyond the July 31-Oct. 12 season window, including the draft lottery on Aug. 25, the draft on Oct. 15 and free agency beginning Oct. 18, sources said. Next season's training camps could start Nov. 10 with a possible opening night on Dec. 1, sources said.

Link: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29267294/source-nba-approves-plan-return-orlando

Last edited:
I think it's fair. There's so much uncertainty now. It's quite possible one of the 9-12 teams in the West could play into the playoffs. It's possible the top teams are rusty.

I'm excited about the possibilities from this set up. With 22 teams, there could be games all day Saturday and Sunday and 3-4 games a day during the week. I'm sure all games will be on TNT and ABC/ESPN.

If only coaches, players, and families are in the gyms, we could see coaches and players interacting with each other and each other's families while watching other games. Chuck could interview Lebron while they're watching Zion play. Coaching staffs can sit in the stands and scout live. It would bring the best aspects of Summer League atmosphere paired with NBA games.

I would guess the NBA Network will see a good number of the regular season games too, especially if they are being played at random times.

I would guess the NBA Network will see a good number of the regular season games too, especially if they are being played at random times.

I don't know how the dynamics with NBATV work and how they'll adjust the TV contracts with all the changes. It would be hard for me to believe they'll just go back to what it was before with the lack of programming out there. I don't think MLB has a plan yet. Can TNT and ABC bid for more games that NBATV can give them? I don't know.

NBA Owners approve the Orlando restart plan by a 29-1 vote (only the Blazers voted against it - which seems weird since they were one of the six teams that benefitted by bringing back 22 teams instead of 16). The NBAPA vote to ratify is set for tomorrow. Here are the particulars:

The NBA delivered a calendar of dates to the owners on Thursday beyond the July 31-Oct. 12 season window, including the draft lottery on Aug. 25, the draft on Oct. 15 and free agency beginning Oct. 18, sources said. Next season's training camps could start Nov. 10 with a possible opening night on Dec. 1, sources said.

Link: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29267294/source-nba-approves-plan-return-orlando

Wonder what the over-under date is for the start of load management during next season for the teams that make the finals this season.

Wonder what the over-under date is for the start of load management during next season for the teams that make the finals this season.

If the NBA final goes 7 games, that's less than a month off between the end of this season and the start of next. Lots of load management required. Also, assuming the 2021 Summer Olympics go off as currently scheduled, the Olympic basketball tourney will be played between July 23 and August 8 in 2021. That's a ton of basketball in short window.

If the NBA final goes 7 games, that's less than a month off between the end of this season and the start of next. Lots of load management required. Also, assuming the 2021 Summer Olympics go off as currently scheduled, the Olympic basketball tourney will be played between July 23 and August 8 in 2021. That's a ton of basketball in short window.

The Finals will end by Oct 12. The next season would start around Christmas. That's 2.5 months.

The Finals will end by Oct 12. The next season would start around Christmas. That's 2.5 months.

According the linked ESPN report, next season would start December 1. Training camps would open November 10, that's less than a month from the end of this season (October 12). The season would start 7 weeks after the end of the previous season (October 12 to December 1). The NBA can't wait until Christmas to start because they want to play 82 games next year, and they want their players to have the ability to play in the Olympics.

it will start around Christmas

the NBA just haven't reached out to PhDeac yet to confirm

I don't know how the dynamics with NBATV work and how they'll adjust the TV contracts with all the changes. It would be hard for me to believe they'll just go back to what it was before with the lack of programming out there. I don't think MLB has a plan yet. Can TNT and ABC bid for more games that NBATV can give them? I don't know.

From what I know, they won't be bidding on these games. The networks already paid for the rights to the season whether it airs in Spring or Fall. I am curious to see what the games times are going to be. It seems like some of these games, especially regular season, will be played during the day in order to get all the games in. Those will probably end up on the NBA Network. The NBA Network has historically had games in the first round of the playoffs too.

Given the bullshit that's going on with baseball, I'm thinking I'll jump headfirst into the NBA pool for the first time. Anybody have a good way for me to pick a team to follow?

Given the bullshit that's going on with baseball, I'm thinking I'll jump headfirst into the NBA pool for the first time. Anybody have a good way for me to pick a team to follow?

Where do you live?

So we are going to get the usual slate of games on ESPN, TNT, ABC, and NBATV and some games will still be relegated to only local markets meaning some local markets just get screwed?

League Pass teams (teams I'll watch that aren't my team, the Sixers): Hawks, Blazers, Clippers, Nets

The Clippers are the best team of that bunch but also have an extremely likeable mix of players and play insane team and individual defense and also have some great scorers

But if you don't want to hop in with a front running team, the Hawks are building a fun team and you can watch Collins ball out with Trae Young.

Hawks are done. Not included in 22 team proposal.

Hawks are done. Not included in 22 team proposal.

Yea i just meant in general moving forward

For the remainder of this season, I think the must-watch team is the Clippers, followed by the Lakers (though I don't like the supporting cast around Lebron nearly as much). Boston boring, Toronto fun but I hate them, Sixers inconsistent, Bucks fun-adjacent if you like watching Giannis keeping the defense honest with bad shot selection and drawing a lot of fouls.

Back