• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

Jerry Sloan only player in NBA history to average 2 or more steals per game and 7 or more rebounds per game for a career. Feel free to win a bar bet with that one. Also, what is his complicated legacy? I've never heard that so curious.

Good trivia.

When John Amaechi came out, so did a lot of really unfortunate stories about Sloan's aggressive coaching style, bullying, and homophobia. He also stood by Karl Malone who is a complete piece of dogshit of a human. I guess everybody is a product of their time, but dude was a major dickhead at the very least. And he was obviously one hell of a coach by the Ws and Ls, not to mention a hell of a player by all accounts.

Sloan was a icon as a player for years in southern Indiana and southern Illinois. Small town farm boy makes good in the prime time. A versatile offensive player and a nightmare defensive player.

RIP Jerry.

Totally shady. The official story of his murder makes no sense.

To be fair, the official story is an example of a senseless crime.

Jerry Sloan’s complicated legacy seems like the complicated legacy of sports in general.

To be fair, the official story is an example of a senseless crime.

Jerry Sloan’s complicated legacy seems like the complicated legacy of sports in general.

Probably some truth to this thought about sports in general. Certainly don't know enough a out this specific situation to have a better formed opinion. However, it's also the less complicated legacy of old white men, America in general and our treatment of minority groups in general and LGBTQ in specific.

His rookie year overlapped with the ‘98 Bulls. His third game was a 2OT loss in Chicago. Duncan had 19 and 22.

didn't see this posted & was totally unaware Duncan had made these comments about Jordan

“No, I don’t like Michael Jordan because I don’t like Michael Jordan. You got me wrong there. I respect Michael Jordan...I’m just somebody that isn’t impressed by him. Other than RJKarl, there really isn’t anyone in the world I’m impressed with.”

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/5/29/21274286/michael-jordan-did-not-impress-tim-duncan-chicago-bulls-san-antonio-spurs

FIFY

Wes Unseld died this morning.

He and Wilt Chamberlain are the only two NBA players to win the MVP and Rookie of the Year award in the same season. Unseld, from L'ville, was the first African-American player offered a scholarship by KY's Adolph Rupp. Unseld declined electing to attend L'ville where he was a three-time All-American. Unseld played all 14 years of his NBA career with the Baltimore/Washington Bullets winning an NBA title in 1978 (he was the NBA finals MVP). He later unsuccessfully coached and general managed the Bullets.

Wes was a beast down low and a rebounding machine and no one fired a better outlet pass after a defensive board. A great and humble man.

DduJcmuV0AEZQhy.jpg

91qYw9bhqHL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Inch for inch probably the greatest rebounder who ever lived. The greatest outlet passer of all time.

RIP Wes

didn't see this posted & was totally unaware Duncan had made these comments about Jordan

“No, I don’t like Michael Jordan because I don’t like Michael Jordan. You got me wrong there. I respect Michael Jordan...I’m just somebody that isn’t impressed by him. There really isn’t anyone in the world I’m impressed with.”

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2020/5/29/21274286/michael-jordan-did-not-impress-tim-duncan-chicago-bulls-san-antonio-spurs

This is where Pop's decision to take out Duncan in game 6 (epic blunder based on game flow) and argued "we did that all year" was awful. That was title #6 for Duncan.

Add the 2004, big reach as it was West Semi Finals, and Derek Fisher's miracle shot (was it legal?), and Tim had a good shot at #7.

So, he respects Mike, but really was so damn close to Jordan/Russell (9 titles in 11 years; 11 total titles wow)/Tim D. All on Mt. Rushmore and Tim could say "I'm the GOAT." Woulda coulda shoulda...

Inch for inch probably the greatest rebounder who ever lived. The greatest outlet passer of all time.

RIP Wes

I will never forget those Knicks/Baltimore Bullets games. There were so many great matchups- Unseld on Willis Reed, Gus Johnson on Dave DeBusschere, and Earl Monroe and later Phil Chenier on Walt Frazier.

They were some brutally physical games. I was on a flight with Wes several years ago coming back from Puerto Rico where there had been an NBA players reunion. I was in Economy Comfort and he was in the row behind me. He could not get his legs in front of him in that seat. I insisted he take my seat and at first he said no thank you. I had to talk him into trading seats. What an incredibly nice man.

RIP, to one of the greatest.

A lot of people don't realize the throw back jersey fashion statement began in Philly. A sporting goods company, Mitchell & Ness used to make a good percentage of NBA jerseys. At the end of seasons, you could buy the overruns off the $5-10 racks. Unseld's jersey was always a favorite. You'd see them all over.

The Wizards are 5.5 games back of a playoff spot. Hornets are 7 games back and getting left out.

Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, Spurs, and Suns are within 6 games back.

Hope this works.

There is clear separation between the 8th and 9th seeds in both the East (5.5 games) and the West (3.5 games). The reason for not limiting the returning teams to the 16 teams currently in playoff in position is to keep Zion playing and get the TV bump from that. Otherwise, the League should either start with the 16 playoff teams or have all 30 teams comeback. Seems ridiculous to allow teams that as far as 6 games back to return, but exclude teams that are two games or less behind those returning teams.

Also, with a playoff for the 8th seeds, how is that going to work? There are only 9 Eastern teams returning; so the playoffs for the last spot will be between teams 8 and 9, but will the 8th spot Western playoff involve more teams from the West with 13 teams returning; or will the playoffs be conference blind this season? Would love to see the NBA implement a one game/NCAA style playoff game. That would be fun.

I think Zion has something to do with, but I think the main reason is that players need 8 games to warm up and it wouldn't be fair if they were all against fellow playoff teams and had a bigger impact on playoff position.

Not only are the Warriors getting a Top 5 pick, but Steph, Dray and Klay get eight months to refresh themselves. Watch out for them next year.

Also. The pelicans had a super easy schedule set up to make a run the last month of the season. 538 had them getting the 8th seed

clicked on a few articles and didn't see it

any word on the proposed start for the 2020-21 (or just 2021, I guess) season?

Back