• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

what does 538 say i process all my sports takes through it first

I'm trying to understand the point here. The Sixers lost on purpose for four seasons so they could draft in the high lottery. The Nuggets missed the playoffs for several seasons while trying to win. They're in the same place as the Sixers were last year.

How is this a defense of The Process?

Would you rather have a #1 and #3 draft pick or a #7 pick and pray your #41 pick matures into the best player in the draft (by win shares)?

Feel like the Nuggets got a bit lucky there, is my point - so I'm not sure that's the best comparison.

We can return to your original argument "Tanking like the Sixers or going all-in on small ball are just gimmicks." whenever you'd like. It's not a gimmick.

Would you rather have a #1 and #3 draft pick or a #7 pick and pray your #41 pick matures into the best player in the draft (by win shares)?

Would I rather win games or would I rather lose on purpose and hope to win a lottery? I'd rather win games and pick the best player where I land to get better nexrt year.

Would I rather win games or would I rather lose on purpose and hope to win a lottery? I'd rather win games and pick the best player where I land to get better nexrt year.

Sure, but -- again -- your original argument was that it was a gimmick (that it couldn't change a team's fortune or open them up for a championship), and now you're just saying one's better than the other.

I'm trying to understand the point here. The Sixers lost on purpose for four seasons so they could draft in the high lottery. The Nuggets missed the playoffs for several seasons while trying to win. They're in the same place as the Sixers were last year.

How is this a defense of The Process?

You said they weren't contenders. by the definition of contenders you were wrong just last year. Just take the L and we can all move on. Or we can add this to the phmemes for the next decade like point giannis.

The Process worked if the goal was to not be the Hornets. The Process didn't work if the goal was to contend for a championship.

They purposefully didn't compete for four seasons and what do they have to show for it? Two EC semis and getting swept in the 1st round.

This is what originally said. I guess I have a different philosophy about contending. My idea of a contender is a franchise that people expect will contend year to year. A top 6-8 team every year. Sustained success.

If your philosophy is that franchises are trying to have one magical season where they win it all and then go back to futility like Marlins, sure the Sixers were a contender last year when they got to the round of 8 and went to Game 7.

This is what originally said. I guess I have a different philosophy about contending. My idea of a contender is a franchise that people expect will contend year to year. A top 6-8 team every year. Sustained success.

If your philosophy is that franchises are trying to have one magical season where they win it all and then go back to futility like Marlins, sure the Sixers were a contender last year when they got to the round of 8 and went to Game 7.

They've been a top 6-8 team the past 2 years.

They've been a top 6-8 team the past 2 years.

In the entire league. Not just the East.

I thought about it some more and 6-8 was too broad. I wouldn’t have considered the Nuggets a contender this year although I think they will be next year. If they beat the Clips, that would be a major upset and it would be silly not to recognize that.

The Sixers were a top 6-8 team in the league in both the 2017-18 and 2018-2019 seasons.

In the entire league. Not just the East.

I thought about it some more and 6-8 was too broad. I wouldn’t have considered the Nuggets a contender this year although I think they will be next year. If they beat the Clips, that would be a major upset and it would be silly not to recognize that.

The last 3 seasons they've finished 3rd, 3rd and 6th in the east (this season 2 games separated 6th from 4th). By any definition they've been a contender.

They certainly were last year. They were pretty summarily mocked for letting Butler go and Signing Horford and trying to play a team of 6'10" guys in the era of small ball, but none of that should really be attributed to the process, which was Hinkie. It's pretty safe to say the Sixers would have been better of staying with Hinkie than goign the Colangelo/Brand route. They specifically lost butler and he gave up $49 million guaranteed because of how chaotic the front office was once they let go of Hinkie.

Seriously: People blaming the process for not working is probably the stupidest argument ever. Your main argument is that it doesn't result in a championship when all things being equal, all teams have a 3% chance of winning a championship in any given year.

They Drafted Embiid with the 3rd pick, it was mainly derided because he was injured and thus had to sit out a year so it made the sixers worse that year. Here's the rest of the draft, who do you think they should have drafted instead to compete more in 2014: The next rest of the 1st round draft picks, in order, after him were Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, Nick Stauskus, Noah Vonleh, Elfrid Payton, Dario Saric, Zach Lavine, TJ Warren, Adrien Payne, Jusuf Nurkic, James Young, Tyler Ennis, Gary Harris, Bruno Caboclo, Mitch McGary, Jordan Adams, Rodney Hood, Shabazz Napier, Clint Capela, PJ Hairson, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Josh Huestis, and Kyle Anderson.

Clearly they made the right pick.

Ben Simmons went 1st in the 2016 Draft. The rest of the draft was Brandon Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Dragen Bender, Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray, Marquese Chriss, Jacob Poetl, Thon Maker, Domantas Sabonis, Tauerean Prince, Georgios Pappaginnis, Denzel Valentine, Juan Hernangomez, Guershon Yabusele, Wade Baldwin, Henry Ellenson, Malik Beasley, Caris La Vert, DeAndre Bembry, Malachi Richardson, Ante Zizic, Timothe-Luwawu Cabarrot, Brice Johnson, Furkan Korkmaz, Pascal Siakam, Skal Labissere, Dejounte Murray, Damian Jones.

There are 4 good players on both these drafts. Murray, Siakam, Simmons and Embiid. A couple other role players like Marcus Smart, Chris LaVert and TJ Warren. The process got them 2 of the the 4. Blaming them for a once in a lifetime bust like Fultz or four unlucky Kawhi bounces is just playing the result in a league where only 1 in 30 wins. Clearly the process was smart.

So why aren't they better?

So why aren't they better?

Their disasterous front office since firing the process mastermind got caught on twitter with a burner and it lost them Jimmy Butler then they followed it up with signing 4 power forwards on the advice of some guy named phdeac and ran two of them them as their PG and SF? Sports has an element of luck involved in it and Kawhi got 4 lucky bounces in a game 7 buzzer beater? what will satisfy you here? Despite all that their 2 stars are 25 and many NBA coaching heavyweights are quitting in hopes of coaching them because they want a better chance at winning a ring?

Last edited:
It seems like what you’re saying is that the new Sixers front office didn’t draft and acquire the best players possible and the coaches didn’t put them in the best position to win.

Is that a fair take?

Back