• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

The teams look good. The articles were like “Embiid, Beal, and Middleton snubbed.”

Ok. Not everyone can make it.

in the context of the present... you'd switch the two

hell, jimmy butler is first team based on the playoffs

Id have no trouble flipping Siakam and Butler. I don’t know who I would remove from 1st team for Butler though

Yeah. They're raving about his potential. I don't think anybody is reading to crown Tatum as a top 10 player. And elite players throw up bad shots all the time (see Rockets, Houston).

ESPN said Bam was the first player to block a potential game-tying or go-ahead dunk in the final minute of a playoff game since the advent of play-by-play in 1996-97. I can't remember anything like it from before 1997, definitely not that I've seen. And I imagined if it had happened back in the 70s or before, we would have seen highlights of it our whole lives.

Charles Smith got blocked like 5 times in the last 30 seconds by Grant, Pippen, and the rim.

Charles Smith got blocked like 5 times in the last 30 seconds by Grant, Pippen, and the rim.

That didn't get to the dunk stage. But yeah, that was probably the best clutch block until Bam's.

not NBA and not at the rim, but Hakim Warrick's title game block is the first one that comes to mind

Yeah. Same here. Bam, Warrick, Bulls vs. Charles Smith, and Lebron's chase down are in the pantheon of college and pro playoff blocks.

Haven't seen much discussion of the Spo vs. Stevens coaching matchup. If both of them coach into their late 60s, they'll obliterate the all-time wins record.

Pop (24 years) has 1277 wins. He's 58 wins behind Don Nelson's 1335 (31 years). Spo (12 years) at almost 50 is already #27 on the all-time list with 567 wins. He just needs to average 50 wins a season for 15+ years. That's just a little more than what he's averaged over 12 years. Stevens is 6 years younger than Spo and so he's got a good shot as well.

Bam is getting a lot of dunks tonight.

Last edited:
No joke. I've never been a Heat fan, but I'm rooting for them in this series. It's so hard to stop a team when you have to stop everyone. Can't just key in on Butler. Everyone can kill you. Even Kelly Olynik can bank a three with the shot clock running down.

the heat are some tough SOBs

Lowe piece today was pretty good -- includes a good list of teams that became contenders from the middle of the pack without tanking

seems like a really great organization

crazy how well they hit on their recent draft picks and UFAs

you're more likely to hit on your draft picks and UFAs when you have a rock solid culture/organization (meaning you're more likely to develop those players)

spurs are another example of this

Lowe piece today was pretty good -- includes a good list of teams that became contenders from the middle of the pack without tanking

seems like a really great organization

crazy how well they hit on their recent draft picks and UFAs

Pat Riley. Top three NBA people at any level of the league. Stern, Jordan, Riley.

The Spurs have had pretty medicore picks and player development that was masked for years by Duncan, Manu, and Parker and then trading for Kawhi. The franchise has been held together by FA duct tape and Pop's coaching. Parker was the last player the Spurs drafted and kept who became an All-Star. Years of wasted drafts at the end of Duncan's career. You couldn't even put together a decent starting lineup of Spurs picks since Parker. George Hill, Cory Joseph, Splitter, and the young guys on the roster now. That's about it.

Last edited:
Pat Riley. Top three NBA people at any level of the league. Stern, Jordan, Riley.

The Spurs have had pretty medicore picks and player development that was masked for years by Duncan, Manu, and Parker and then trading for Kawhi. The franchise has been held together by FA duct tape and Pop's coaching. Parker was the last player the Spurs drafted and kept who became an All-Star. Years of wasted drafts at the end of Duncan's career. You couldn't even put together a decent starting lineup of Spurs picks since Parker. George Hill, Cory Joseph, Splitter, and the young guys on the roster now. That's about it.

the spurs are clearly past their heyday but when they were rocking and rolling they were nothing but non-lotto picks and tim.

they also revitalized careers of dudes who had been bouncing around the league like patty mills and boris diaw bc their structure was so good for players

It's not like Spo has always been a great coach. Pat Riley mentored him and then hired him and Spo eventually became a great coach. It's hard to duplicate that. How many people have an NBA career, then become an all-time great NBA coach, then become an all-time great NBA GM who mentors a future all-time great NBA coach?

Pat Riley had a crazy idea to add a Jimmy Butler to his young roster even though there's been no indication that Jimmy Butler could be the best player on a championship team. There was no indication that Butler could mentor young player either. It's pretty amazing. Now there are long stretches where Butler just focuses on defense and lets Dragic run the show. Robinson and Herro have whatever is more than a green light. Bam does Bam shit. Guys like Crowder and Olynyk do what they've got to do. This is really impressive.

FYC, I agree that the Spurs biggest strength was turning mediocre FAs into key role players. But that's what I was talking about in terms of FA duct tape. They played the roles that draft picks should have played. Draft well and develop guys and you don't have to bring in randos to rehab their career within a superior system. Obviously, there are fewer talents at the back of the draft, but there's always second round guys who can contribute more than the late first round guys the Spurs picked. Or make moves to move up and get the guy you want like they did with Kawhi. Maybe move up to take Rudy Gobert instead of taking Livio Jean-Charles with the next pick. Trade up for Avery Bradley instead of taking James Anderson with the next pick.

Last edited:
Celtics are so soft and unsure of themselves in crunch time.

Heat are a bunch of emotionless, cold-blooded assassins, led by the coldest motherfucker in the league.

Ugh, that 2nd half was gross.

Back