• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

Who are the victims of the current system?

I don’t understand the problem that would be solved by getting rid of the one year rule.

Players who don’t want to go to college can go overseas.

The problem is more of a moral and ethical one, I’ll admit. The overseas solution isn’t really that feasible, as history has shown. High school players either dominate obscure leagues without college-caliber talent - and destroy their draft stock in the process - or they sit on the bench on good teams comprised of international professionals and college all-stars. The one exception right now seems to be the Australian Basketball League, but we’ll have to see how viable/sustainable it is in terms of development and draft position. The D-League is kind of in the same boat and its rule that you can’t participate in the draft showcase if you have enrolled in college during the year prior to declaring. Mitchell Robinson was effectively banned from playing organized basketball for a year because of that rule.

Official 2019-20 NBA Season: 4 team trade Capela to Hawks; Covington to Rockets

You don't think that one year is a primary reason why the league is a much healthier place now than it was then? I've always considered there to be a direct correlation. With a few top-end exceptions like Kobe and LeBron, the NBA's image and quality of play increased dramatically as the one and ones fell out. Virtually every professional job requires at least 4 years of college, I don't understand why it is considered harsh for the NBA to require at least 1.

First, if every job requires at least 4 years of college, then why would 1 matter?

I’ve posted on this a ton, but the overwhelming majority of preps-to-pros guys had longer and more lucrative careers than any other cohort of basketball player that entered the draft at the same time (e.g., college freshman, college sophomores, etc.). Granted, there is a big selection effect here (not sure if it’s bigger than, say, in freshman or sophomore cohorts, though), but most of these guys weren’t eligible for college in the first place and went to the pros.

The college rule was not implemented to protect players, though helping avoid more Korleone Young and Lenny Cooke-type-situations could be seen as an unanticipated consequence. The rule was to protect organizations from drafting high school talent it wasn’t able to turn into lucrative “product.” GMs and scouts couldn’t be trusted not to draft players that clearly weren’t ready, and so the league stepped in with its (at the time) characteristic paternalism.

You may not think guys like Amar’e Stoudemire, Jermaine O’Neal, Al Harrington, Rasheed Lewis, Tyson Chandler, Monte Ellis, Lou Williams, Martell Webster, CJ Miles, JR Smith, and Kendrick Perkins are all-world talents, but the league is better for them. Who knows what would have happened with these guys without the NBA Draft because, iirc, none of them were eligible to play in college.

The image of the NBA arguably improved as the last couple of preps-to-pros classes were maturing so I’m just not sure your claim holds much water.

It’s a massive selection effect. Prep to pro players should be as close to sure things as you could get and they weren’t.

Part of the reason a lot of those players didn’t qualify for college is that they didn’t need to in order to make the NBA. I would be fine if the G-League served as a one year destination for players who didn’t want to go to college but I don’t think the NBA or college would be better off if that was more than maybe three or four players a year.

Official 2019-20 NBA Season: 4 team trade Capela to Hawks; Covington to Rockets

It’s a massive selection effect. Prep to pro players should be as close to sure things as you could get and they weren’t.

Part of the reason a lot of those players didn’t qualify for college is that they didn’t need to in order to make the NBA. I would be fine if the G-League served as a one year destination for players who didn’t want to go to college but I don’t think the NBA or college would be better off if that was more than maybe three or four players a year.

Well, first, they overwhelmingly were sure things. All of those guys were McDonald’s All-Americans and all were either average players relative to their draft position or well above in most cases at a career level.

I don’t think you’re right about needing to qualify for college. I don’t have time to go back to individual cases, but I remember pretty clearly that most of the marginal cases were eligible (eg JR Smith at UNC, Monta at MSU, Amir Johnson at Louisville, etc.)

Anyway, I think you’re right that it doesn’t actually affect that many people. Like I said, most of my qualms are probably more ethical than they are practical.

Pat C's second dunk with the touch off the glass may be the most technically difficult

I didn't realize what he had done in real time though

felt like it would have been totally appropriate to crown them both champions at any point in the finals

I felt like I could barely tell what anybody was doing in real time. Pat was nuts, though. For as gimmicky as the Tacko dunk was, the dunk over Giannis was probably a bit more impressive to me. Even that first Dwight dunk was really cool in slow-mo.

“Well, first, they overwhelmingly were sure things. All of those guys were McDonald’s All-Americans and all were either average players relative to their draft position or well above in most cases at a career level.”

You’re only remembering the guys who actually made it.

You can talk about Lebron and Kendrick Perkins but how about Ndudi Ebi and James Lang?

Common is Chicago's most embarrassing export

I feel like pitting charities against each other is rarely a great idea

Common rapping the intros is so garbage. No wonder this dude is irrelevant in music right now.

Common is Chicago's most embarrassing export

I feel like pitting charities against each other is rarely a great idea

Damn. I thought the NBA's erasure of Kanye was shocking. Agree about competing charities especially for $100K in a game that's supposed to be for fun. Should be something like both charities get $1000 a point. The NBA has plenty of money in the charity coffers to spare.

I love the NBA, but dozens of low income Chicago schoolchildren cheering for a bunch of millionaires to try hard in an exhibition game for a donation to their charity that's less than most of the millionaires make in one game is peak capitalism.

I didn't think this 4th quarter to 24 would last that long, but man they are playing tough defense.

That Elam dude must be so hyped.

Back