• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

What are people's predictions for when next season starts?

Was thinking MLK Day, but that might be too optimistic if the owners are set on getting at least some fans into the arenas.

The first step before dates can be set for making trades, signing free agents and setting a league schedule is the NBA and NBAPA agreeing to salary cap and related basketball related income figures that allows NBA teams to start assembling their rosters for next year. Right now, the only date set is the NBA Draft for November 18. NBAPA Head Michelle Roberts previously predicted that the league and the association to agree on the cap and BRI figures by December 1:

We can’t go much beyond (December 1) for (free agency),” Roberts said. “We had a projected BRI (basketball-related income), which I think teams appropriately planned for. I don’t think we can deviate much from where we projected the cap to be.

Those negotiations would also include agreements on the schedule for next season. The only public statements issued about the start of next season also came from Roberts:

The latter part of January, February makes sense (as the earliest possible starting date),” she told Charania. “If it’s later than that, if we have a terrible winter because the virus decides to reassert herself, that’s fine.”

Sounds like an MLK weekend starting date might be the goal, but the start may actually be later than that. BTW, one NBA scheduling idea for next season has proposed NBA teams playing two game series, like baseball does in two, three or four game series during the season. That would reduce travel and perhaps give the NBA some ability to compress the season as the NBA may want the season to creep into October again, where TV rating suffer because of the other sports options.

Yeah. I think two game series are a likely scenario if there are fans. If there are not fans, then I think there could be five team pods that play four games each week in one location. I don’t think there will be a full on bubble.

With four games a week, they could play a 22 or 23 week season with an long All-Star from Final Four weekend through an All-Star weekend the next weekend and a bye week or two mixed in.

Man. I forgot he was on the Lakers. He played a minute in Game 1.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cookqu01/gamelog-playoffs/

I know nobody's asking, but 4 entries to the Conference Finals and Finals contest left their name blank so I don't know who had what. Shoo had a large enough lead that even if he had the lowest score, he would be the winner.

Props to DeacDaddy who got the winner and games of the final three matchups correct. 7 of 8 said Lakers over Heat in 6.

Hey, how bout that.

Thx for running it.

I may do some sort of regular season contest next year.

Lue to the Clips.

And can you imagine Ty Lue demanding it.

Anyone think Chris Paul will end up being traded to the Clips? If so, he could end up earning the 3.

Some hot potential trade suggestions out there:

CP3 to Jazz: for Mike Conley & Ed David & a Pick
Ben Simmons for PG13 and Landry Shamet

playoff P!

lol would be hilarious for doc to immediately fuck up the 76ers

Pacers hired Raptors assistant Nate Bjorkgren.

Pelicans hired Stan Van Gundy.

I think the Pelicans should have gone with a hot young coach to complement a hot young team. Van Gundy seems like a weird hire for this roster. I like everything I've read about Bjorkgren.

a guy like Bjorkgren -- a risky, high ceiling assistant from a great coach -- is exactly what I wanted from the Bulls

Bjorkgren has that scrappy hustler resume like Nurse and Forbes. Small town Iowa guy like Forbes too.

Back