• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

Hawks signed Bogdan to a 4/72 offer sheet. The Kings may not match. They would have a solid rotation and would be a playoff squad if Collins can play at an All-Star level.

Hawks signed Bogdan to a 4/72 offer sheet. The Kings may not match. They would have a solid rotation and would be a playoff squad if Collins can play at an All-Star level.

Let's take it easy on the Hawks going to the playoffs talk. My memory is faulty, but didn't you claim that last year's Hawk's team would be a playoff squad?

Quick search gives me this from PhDeac:

"Hawks OVER 33.5 and Hornets UNDER 23.5 look like free money. I like Warriors OVER 47.5, but so much depends on Klay's health. I could see them sneaking into the playoffs under that but being the team nobody wants to play in the first round."

Realize it was a weird and shortened season, but...
Hawks not even close - L
Hornets over, even in less games - L
Warriors a disaster - L

Pilchard had:
Hawks over 33.5 wins - L
Mavs over 40.5 - W
Lakers under 51.5 - L
Bucks under 58 - N/A... They had 56 and probably get 2 more if they play 82 instead of 73

Was loud wrong about the Lakers. Not only did the Lakers get over 51.5 wins in 73 games, but they won it all.

I was in on the Hawks love last year, but they have a long way to go. Outside of the Warriors who played a G-League roster for almost the whole year, the Hawks were one game from being the worst team in the NBA. I'm a huge JC fan, but that team had lots of problems. Not sure they all can be fixed in one really weird off-season.

Please god, let me enjoy Kyrie and Kevin Durant for half a season before you fuck it up and trade for Harden. I don't love Kyrie. I don't love Kevin Durant, but really want to see them play together without Harden. Kyrie was fun to watch last year when he was healthy ...

markieff morris back to the lakers on the vet min. lakers have a 2 deep of lebron-kcp-matthews-AD-gasol ---- schroeder-caruso-kuzma-markieff-montrezl

6 MOY and runner up 6 MOY on the bench.

they had a 60 win pace in the shortened season, went 16-5 in the playoffs, and have a better team this year

There’s really almost no point in comparing playoff talks about the Hawks with preseason 2019 and preseason 2020. The 2019-2020 Hawks featured:

JC suspended 25 games
Dewayne Dedmon/Alex Len/Damien Jones getting more or less all of the minutes at C
Jeff Teague/Evan Turner/ DeAndre Bembry backup guards
Jabari Parker backup PF
43 year old Vince Carter playing nearly 15 MPG in 60 games played

The 2020-2021 Hawks replace all of that with:

Clint Capela/ Onyeka Okongwu at C
Rajon Rondo/Kris Dunn/Tony Snell/ Bogdan (hopefully) added to rotation at guard
Gallinari in forward rotation

The bench is almost entirely new, and this time with competent NBA players. As someone that watched 75% of their games, I would argue the biggest problems for the Hawks last year were awful play at center and no real guard depth after Trae/Huerter. Both of those should be much improved.

If you want to make the argument that their D will still be too bad to make the playoffs that’s fine, but starting with a comparison point of a year ago doesn’t make sense.

I still am not sure the Hawks make the playoffs to clarify. The 76ers, Bucks, Celtics, Nets, Heat should all clearly be better than Hawks. Raptors seem pretty likely to be better. At that point you have to beat out Pacers/Magic/surprise competitive team (Hornets/Wiz/Bulls) for 7/8 seed. So I’m still not 100% sold it will happen, but damn does it feel good to be a fan of a team that is clearly going for it.

markieff morris back to the lakers on the vet min. lakers have a 2 deep of lebron-kcp-matthews-AD-gasol ---- schroeder-caruso-kuzma-markieff-montrezl

6 MOY and runner up 6 MOY on the bench.

they had a 60 win pace in the shortened season, went 16-5 in the playoffs, and have a better team this year

Wes Matthews is a 35 year old 38% career 3pt shooter that shot 36% last season next to Giannis, and hasn't averaged over 14PPG in 5 years. 8 PER. Lebron and Gasol are both 36.

You're looking at a crunch time lineup of something like

Schroeder, KCP, Lebron, Markieff, AD. Is that better than having Danny Green/Rondo/Bradley? I don't think so.

It's Crazy what the Warriors did in picking up Kelly Oubre. Their trade exception from the Iggy deal expired on Monday, and Thompson was injured early enough so they could use the exception to pick up someone to replace Klay. Oubre makes something like $14 million a year, but he's going to cost them like another $70 million in luxury taxes.

Hawks officially get Bogdan. Also, supposedly Gallo agreed to come off the bench before signing. I’m sure he’ll still get some minutes at SF, but not having to force that is great. Lineup probably looks like:

Starters: Trae, Bogdan, Reddish, Collins, Capela
2nd unit: Dunn/Rondo, Huerter, Hunter, Gallo, Okongwu

As a Wake/Hawks fan, this is the first time I’ve been excited about a basketball season in, well, a while.

Last twenty or so games of last season, for sure. Upside is way higher offensively, and he improved a lot as a defender as the season went on. I think Reddish has real potential to be the third best player on that team in a year or two, whereas Hunter’s ceiling is more of a 3andD guy that wasn’t particularly good at D last year.

Edit: Reddish better than Gallo/Bogdan in a year to two is definitely a homer take, but I stand by that the potential is there

Last edited:
Last Hawks-spam post from me, but I’m pretty interested from a basketball sense to see what happens with the Hawks defense this season. Are there any examples of teams going from really poor rim defense to a high quality rim defending center (Capela)? I’d love to see what happened to defensive ratings of their guards.

The Rockets' guards' defense still sucked with Capela, which is obviously the most relevant example as compared to the Hawks guards, especially if the plan is to start both Trae and Bogdan in addition to JC - none of those guys are playing D. Capela is probably the most overrated defensive player of the last 10 years - he got a lot of block opportunities because the rest of his team refused to play any defense at all and at least he tries, but that doesn't mean he is actually good at it. I'd expect more from Okongwu than Capela.

galinari has the perfect high octane game for off the bench. In his best years in LA and OKC, his hot or cold game was on enough for him to be above average at his position. Off the bench should be a lot of fun

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - Klay out for season; James Johnson to OKC...err...Mavs

Because they have at least three starters on rookie contracts?

Because teams have small ball lineups that involve one or two bench players getting big minutes?

Because few players play every game or 35+ minutes a game nowadays?

Because they had a ton of cap room and had to spend it?

Because they're donks. Dude went 2-6, 0-3 with 4 TO's in a game 7 loss by 2.

Back