• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

How many people had the Warriors, Spurs and Blazers as the 3 worst in the West?

They missed a lot of open shots tonight and played really bad D. Didn’t look like a Pop team. But I’d put it down to a talent deficit tonight, not sure about all year.

Haven’t had a chance to watch much of the games in this losing streak. Pretty shitty that the Deacs, Panthers, and Spurs haven’t won in over two weeks.

The fact that you thought the D was pretty bad and the PTR crew thinks the D was an improvement tells a pretty good story.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/201...etter-but-sixers-extend-losing-streak-104-115

“This has been the Spurs best defensive effort of the year. I’m not sure if it was just a good matchup tonight, but it’s actually fun to watch the opponents not score every time they get the ball.”

It’s time for a franchise reset. The plan seemed to be stick with two star veterans, keep making the playoffs, and do a soft rebuild around the young talent. This roster just isn’t working. Move DeRozan and Mills and ride or die with the young guards.

Embiid scored at will. He didn’t really try to post up, just did a single jab step and took a jumper. Sixers run basically no pick and roll, and most teams have just thrown a zone at them all year and made them shoot, which has worked decently in the half court. Spurs didn’t really do that. The way the Sixers kill you is on the offensive glass, and last night was no exception. A lot of second chance points. Tobias also got to the rim really easily.

Haven’t had a chance to watch much of the games in this losing streak. Pretty shitty that the Deacs, Panthers, and Spurs haven’t won in over two weeks.

The fact that you thought the D was pretty bad and the PTR crew thinks the D was an improvement tells a pretty good story.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/201...etter-but-sixers-extend-losing-streak-104-115

“This has been the Spurs best defensive effort of the year. I’m not sure if it was just a good matchup tonight, but it’s actually fun to watch the opponents not score every time they get the ball.”

It’s time for a franchise reset. The plan seemed to be stick with two star veterans, keep making the playoffs, and do a soft rebuild around the young talent. This roster just isn’t working. Move DeRozan and Mills and ride or die with the young guards.

This. Plus I’d go ahead and move LA. I think it’s past time for a half measure rebuild for the team. The problem is that the franchise has become so used to consistently making the playoffs year in and year out.

Spurs thought they had the next generation of talent in place to keep them at the top of the NBA, but for whatever reasons, Kawhi didn't want to be part of it. Derozans doesn't bring nearly as much to the table as Leonard can.

Official 2019-20 NBA Season: Collins tests positive for HGH - Out 25 games

Well clearly 3 years later Kawhi still has leg problems, so the Spurs and Parker doing all that leaking to the media about them complaining about Kawhi not coming back to the court sooner was pretty fucking dumb. His injury was worse than the Spurs docs and teammates thought.

Sure. But he’s also playing with PG in LA. So it was probably inevitable that Kawhi was going to find a way out anyway unless the Spurs pulled off a trade for PG back in 2017 which they didn’t have the assets to do.

Maybe Derozan will opt out...Aldridge has another year after this unless they can dump the contract.

Let me add that the Spurs can't blame Kawhi for this losing streak. They got the trade they wanted. They got a star plus a pick for Kawhi. They could have traded him for a combination of young talent and picks, but that's not what they wanted. This offseason they basically just depended on Murray's return to be the big addition. They got worked by the Knicks for Marcus Morris and lost Davis Bertans in the process (13.1 ppg, .443 3PT for Wiz off the bench).

For some reason, nobody talks about the Spurs poor drafting. Only 3 Spurs draft picks are even on the regular roster. All are guards. Only 5 Spurs draft picks from this decade are still in the league (Cory Joseph, Kyle Anderson, White, Murray, Walker IV). The Spurs had 3 drafts this decade in which their picks never even played in the NBA. The Kawhi trade masked a lot of problems in the franchise. They keep drafting long term prospects who don't pan out. Meanwhile other teams are finding immediate impact players in the late first, second, and undrafted players. The transition out of the Big 3 era has relied heavily on free agency and it hasn't worked out.

Meanwhile look at the rest of the SW division. Rockets added Russ. Mavs added Porzingus after trading up for Luka. Pelicans redid the whole roster and added the #1 pick. Memphis let go of their core players and added Ja.

The spurs-kawhi situation was more complicated than some spurs leaks. His uncle is a real piece of work. For a long time before any leaks he was not available to the team. Spurs had given over control of his medical affairs to his chosen doctors and he was hiding in hotel rooms with spurs staff trying to talk to him. Likely plenty of blame on both sides. I'm finally more disappointed than salty. I could not help but watch the raptors last year and sort of enjoy it. He was doing to the warriors what he was about to do to them before he was zaza'd. I still hate that guy.

Hard to draft where they have and get consistent contributors.

Hard to draft where they have and get consistent contributors.

I disagree. We've had this conversation many times but I firmly believe teams can get good talent anywhere in the draft. This year, the Warriors are getting quality production out of Poole (#28) and Paschall (#41). Both were picked after the Spurs two first round picks. I think both Samanic and Johnson have a good future with the Spurs, but the franchise needs to shift to picking players who can contribute right away.

I disagree. We've had this conversation many times but I firmly believe teams can get good talent anywhere in the draft. This year, the Warriors are getting quality production out of Poole (#28) and Paschall (#41). Both were picked after the Spurs two first round picks. I think both Samanic and Johnson have a good future with the Spurs, but the franchise needs to shift to picking players who can contribute right away.

This is a weird issue to have with the Spurs, of all teams. They drafted fine, but had a miserable offseason. Blame the front office for forgetting how to do free agency, but the drafting has been fine.

Feel like they did fine in 2017, last year maybe they could have gotten Shamet or Huerter but don’t see anybody else that sticks out as a huge miss. There’s a difference between drafting onto a team that’s perennially in the playoffs and drafting while building. I think the Warriors have drafted well out of the end of the first round but I can’t really think of anyone else.

And Poole and Paschall are getting higher usage rates than anyone drafted anywhere close to them because the Warriors don’t have anyone else to play. I acknowledge the Dubs tend to find contributors everywhere but it helps they typically go into situations that have great spacing and coaching and other options around them or this year where they can learn on the job and get minutes.

Luka is going to win multiple MVP's. He was pretty clearly a generational superstar by the time he was 16 ... dude played 39 games in the ACB that year in the 2nd best basketball league in the world against grown ass men and held his own. At 18 he was the best player on the best non-NBA team in the world. Oh, and in between that he damn near put up a triple double leading tiny ass Slovenia to winning Eurobasket with a 20 point beatdown of a loaded Spain team (both Gasol's, Rubio, Hernangomez, etc).

Actual paid scouts watched all of that happen and somehow decided that 4 players (counting Trae Young as being preferred to him via trade) in scrub ass NCAA basketball were better prospects. It was fucking laughable when it happened, and everyone at each of those teams involved in making that decision should be fired for gross negligence.

This is a weird issue to have with the Spurs, of all teams. They drafted fine, but had a miserable offseason. Blame the front office for forgetting how to do free agency, but the drafting has been fine.

I was just giving that as an example of a team finding production at the end of the first and beyond. My issue with the Spurs drafting goes way back over the last decade like I said.

Thoughts on the possible changes to the league schedule?

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...ng-reseeding-conference-finalists-per-report/

I'm fine with reseeding. It is funny that the NBA recognizes the Western Conference dominance that many on this board have claimed doesn't exist. The mid-season tournament seems like something that will be used to rest star players. Can't see players like Kawhi and PG playing in a midseason tournament. The play-in games are a good idea. I like the proposed format. It gives the 8 seed a chance to play out of a matchup against the 1 seed. It gives late charging teams a chance to play into the playoffs.

Last edited:
100 straight sellouts for the Sixers. 74-26 at home during that stretch. The crowd is electric tonight with Jimmy back in town.

Back