• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2020 NBA Offseason - First Half Season Schedule Out

unfortunately he was the guy guarding ben simmons when he hit THE THREE

unfortunately he was the guy guarding ben simmons when he hit THE THREE

Ha. The smart thing to do as a defender is that situation is to back off so I guess you can’t blame him for that.

Boban is becoming a mogul. He bought into the Big Blanket Company.

Man, I wish the Sixers had kept him.

It isn't like Anthony Davis got buried on the terrible Pelicans teams. He was still a superstar getting exposure. I think what they try and do is when a big team is in New Orleans they go out of their way to make it a national game. Same with Memphis. That plus getting them into All-Star weekend meaningfully is really all teh league has responsibility for. Everything else is on their teams and the players' management.

Anthony who?

Is that the young fella the Lakers brought in to help King James?

I usually only watch the playoffs. Name rings a bell from a couple of years ago, I think.

Anthony already hurt himself in the preseason, that's who. Take the under on this Lakers win total season.

Anthony already hurt himself in the preseason, that's who. Take the under on this Lakers win total season.

I’m not sure he and Lebron stay healthy enough to make the playoffs. There are no sure wins in the West.

It’s a minor thumb sprain. But I agree that team will struggle to stay healthy in the West.

I forgot that Darius Songaila is a Player Dev Assistant in San Antonio. I saw him on a Popovich-fucks-w-Trump video on the court. He was a video editor last year and was promoted.

And of course Timmy is an assistant.

And of course Timmy is an assistant.

That was announced a while ago. Pop noted that Timmy was working for him instead of the other way around, like it had been for two decades.

That was announced a while ago. Pop noted that Timmy was working for him instead of the other way around, like it had been for two decades.

I'm aware. I was reminding everybody that we have two Deacs on the Spurs staff.

I think it is great that Tim has not bothered to get an assistant coach's haircut and instead is going some Caribbean version of D'Angelo Russell's hairdo. Is he going to sit on the bench in jeans and a t-shirt? We shall see ...

Bone, remember if you are drafting Pippen, SF, you ain't getting Scottie.

The Rox love, love. love analytics. They only shot 4.2% of their shots in mid-range. Russ is a horrific three point shooter with four of the last five season of under 30% on threes.

Chris played the same type of position the past two years and averaged 7 threes/game hitting 36 and 38%. If Russ takes 7/game, he's likely to hit two.

Who is going to change Russ? The stat geeks?

Zion out for a "period of weeks" with a right knee injury.

I saw parts of a couple of Hawks games and came away with two ideas. First, I want Bembry on my team. His hustle and ability would help anyone and increase the play of his teammates. The second one is Trae Young is among a very short list of the worst defenders I've ever seen in the NBA. Last year, I thought this was so but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I realize this is only preseason but he was beyond awful. His effort last year and now on D is best described as patchy and has no clue what to do.

Unless Reddish becomes Klay Thompson, the trade last year was absolutely terrible.

I saw parts of a couple of Hawks games and came away with two ideas. First, I want Bembry on my team. His hustle and ability would help anyone and increase the play of his teammates. The second one is Trae Young is among a very short list of the worst defenders I've ever seen in the NBA. Last year, I thought this was so but gave him the benefit of the doubt. I realize this is only preseason but he was beyond awful. His effort last year and now on D is best described as patchy and has no clue what to do.

Unless Reddish becomes Klay Thompson, the trade last year was absolutely terrible.

Analyzing that trade on the surface is really a ridiculous thing to do without context of the two teams. Atlanta wants to be a new age NBA team with lots of 3 pointers and quick possessions/ lots of possessions. They led the league in possessions per game last year by a considerable margin (106.4 to #2 NO's 105.6). Trae fits very well into doing both of those teams with his shooting and passing (which I'd wager he leads the league in assists sometime within the next 3 years). The Hawks also managed to draft Reddish and Hunter, both considered potentially high ceiling defenders, with one of the reasons for doing so being that they would be able to cover up Trae's defensive deficiencies.

Should Trae be a better defender than he is? Probably. But it's important to realize that:
#1. That's not what the Hawks were asking from him during his rookie year, and
#2. Many first year PG's struggle defensively, and then go on to improve as their careers go on.

I'm not claiming that he will ever be an above average defender, but if he can become a below-average to average defender that the Hawks can cover up with switches from Hunter/Reddish, they will be ecstatic. Also, I'd argue that there's a real argument to be made that PG defense is less valuable than defense at other positions, but that's not really my point here.

I'm not claiming that Trae is/will be a better player than Doncic in a vacuum, or even that Reddish + Trae is/will be > Doncic. But for what the Hawks envision for the future of their team, the trade absolutely made sense and still does.

Back