• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Time - 7:30 ACCN

It's so bizarre that we haven't won a home conference game since State in 2017, but have somehow managed to go 20-12 from the start of that season to currently. A little strange.

I believe Hartman will be at QB Saturday. Washington was never effective last year following his shoulder injury. I have had multiple shoulder injuries. They effect upper body performance and take time to heal. Clawson has a bye week following the FSU game that would allow 2+ weeks for Newman to heal the shoulder injury. Better to have Newman healthy for the final five games than to risk his ability to play the rest of the season by exposing him as an obvious target.

Agree. DL is typically the hardest area to recruit for the reasons stated above, but WF has actually had solid DL over the last couple of years, and it looks like the ability to cultivate talent on the DL is continuing. Deacs have offered a lot of LBs, and the results haven't been great. Yes, Strnad is a player, but other than that not much production on the field which even led to WF moving DBs to LB spots. Realize that injuries have played a role (DJ Taylor), and that WF is till young at that spot (Smenda, Monroe, Burley all sophomores), but looks like LB play still is the weak link of the defense.

I agree with this. However, I will say, first - we have linebackers redshirting or who are injured that may be really really good - we don't know yet. Two, in our scheme, we ask A LOT of our linebackers. They essentially need to have the speed of a safety and the size of an LB. They essentially need to be able to meet or beat a RB to the corner, and then big enough to knock him back. The gaps we ask our linebackers (and Rover) to hit make the position very challenging IMO.

As he said in his press conference, he doesn't have to. What we know:

* Newman DID NOT practice on Tuesday.
* As Conor said in the news thread, Clawson has a history of resting kids who are at <80% - see Cade for two games already this year. He doesn't change the depth chart because he longer is required to do so
* The fact that we also have a bye next week would also strongly indicate that Clawson is likely to lean towards resting Newman and ideally having him ready to be the backup instead of Kerns
* Hartman came in and looked very sharp against Louisville

That all said, FSU is the type of defense I would ideally like to see Newman. There are plays where FSU may not get much push, but their height may kill some throwing lanes for Hartman - lanes that may be open to Newman.

I honestly think this is a game we could win 30-0. I am exaggerating obviously, but it would be crazy if we killed two FSU coaches in 15 years. The young may not remember, but it was our shellacking of FSU 30-0 that finally led to FSU strongly suggesting
their ole ball coach" step down and let Jimbo Fisher take over ...

You think the Wake D could come anywhere close to shutting out FSU? Don't see it.

Appears now remnants of that tropical storm will make for rain on Saturday day and night....ugh.

Yeah crowd will be terrible too. Hopefully we don’t bring a ton of recruits.

NWS forecast for W-S says "rain likely, mainly after 11pm."

yeah, as of now the remnants of tropical storm or depression may be hitting Columbia, SC - 170 miles south of BB&T Field - at around kickoff time

174247_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

We can forget the down field passing game. It's ground and pound time. Need a big game from our RBs. The QB will be handing off 70% of the time.

NWS forecast for W-S says "rain likely, mainly after 11pm."

Weather Channel and WSJ have rain starting mid afternoon continuing till early Sunday morning.

Hope NWS has the call !

We can forget the down field passing game. It's ground and pound time. Need a big game from our RBs. The QB will be handing off 70% of the time.

Agree....make that 90%. IF Sam goes down may see Hinton in the Wild Cat.

I wouldn't go there just yet. I haven't seen a storm size (diameter). It may be far enough south, slow enough and/or small enough that it doesn't hit Winston-Salem or doesn't do so until after the game is over.

I said 70% because if we fall behind, we'll try everything we have to get in the endzone, even low percentage throws

Agree....make that 90%. IF Sam goes down may see Hinton in the Wild Cat.

Hinton taking the snap is simply playing the 3rd or 4th string quarterback. He may be officially a wide receiver, but he was recruited as a QB and played a lot of games at QB. When everybody is healthy, Wake has other players who are better QBs than Hinton. And Hinton is a better receiver than QB.

Back