• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

Great analysis, and what basic, crappy execution by the Astros - my kids high school baseball team has a more sophisticated system to relay stolen signs.

Thought Counsell deserved MOY over Shildt, especially after the Yellich injury.

I guess I can't really argue with Baldelli, although I don't know how much managerial talent is required to get your team to hit a fuckton of home runs.

Rocco Baldelli. Would have been Wake center fielder. Now manager of the year. Congrats to him.

Saw this on Twitter - obviously it's a #SmallSampleSize, but...

2017 Postseason Home/Away Splits:
McCann
Home: .300 BA/.382 OBP/.467 SLG/.849 OPS, 9 H, 1 HR & 7 RBI
Away: .037 BA/.161 OBP/.037 SLG/.198 OPS, 1 H, 0 HR & 0 RBI

Altuve
Home: .472 BA/.513 OBP/1.028 SLG/1.541 OPS, 17 H, 6 HR & 12 RBI
Away: .143 BA, .268 OBP, .229 SLG, .497 OPS, 5 H, 1 HR & 2 RBI

Correa
Home: .371 BA/.421 OBP/.743 SLG/1.164 OPS, 13 H, 3 HR & 10 RBI
Away: .211 BA/.231 OBP/.395 SLG/.626 OPS, 8 H, 2 HR & 4 RBI.

Can't see where you can get a full look at the team's H vs. A splits in the postseason, but would be curious to see that.

Thought Counsell deserved MOY over Shildt, especially after the Yellich injury.

I guess I can't really argue with Baldelli, although I don't know how much managerial talent is required to get your team to hit a fuckton of home runs.

Cardinals were picked by most to win the NL Central and Brewers were picked by most to finish second. Both teams met their preseason expectations. Meanwhile, the Braves were picked to finish either third or fourth in the NL East by everyone and ended up being the second best team in the NL. Snitker is the only of the three managers whose team actually exceeded expectations.

Saw this on Twitter - obviously it's a #SmallSampleSize, but...

2017 Postseason Home/Away Splits:
McCann
Home: .300 BA/.382 OBP/.467 SLG/.849 OPS, 9 H, 1 HR & 7 RBI
Away: .037 BA/.161 OBP/.037 SLG/.198 OPS, 1 H, 0 HR & 0 RBI

Altuve
Home: .472 BA/.513 OBP/1.028 SLG/1.541 OPS, 17 H, 6 HR & 12 RBI
Away: .143 BA, .268 OBP, .229 SLG, .497 OPS, 5 H, 1 HR & 2 RBI

Correa
Home: .371 BA/.421 OBP/.743 SLG/1.164 OPS, 13 H, 3 HR & 10 RBI
Away: .211 BA/.231 OBP/.395 SLG/.626 OPS, 8 H, 2 HR & 4 RBI.

Can't see where you can get a full look at the team's H vs. A splits in the postseason, but would be curious to see that.

Put Altuve in perspective in that he hit .194 for the WS. In the first two away games, he face Cy Young winner Kershaw and AS Rich Hill (after 7 innings -the team had one run). Hill pitched Game 6.

Once again, numbers without context are meaningless.

Last edited:
Cardinals were picked by most to win the NL Central and Brewers were picked by most to finish second. Both teams met their preseason expectations. Meanwhile, the Braves were picked to finish either third or fourth in the NL East by everyone and ended up being the second best team in the NL. Snitker is the only of the three managers whose team actually exceeded expectations.

Lol the braves won in spite of their manager.

There are a bunch more videos coming out - McCann, Marisnick, Springer, Altuve all seem to have been apart of it, probably the whole team. There is a new one against chris archer where they have 1 bang for change, 2 bangs for sliders. It's shitty, but the internet memes coming out about it are all great.

Great signing.

Also, sign stealing happens and attempting to steal signs happens in about every baseball game.

There is a difference between a player on 2nd trying to gain an advantage for his batter and a camera and tech setup designed to cheat. It's a bad look and they should be punished heavily.

isn't McCann well-known for being one to take it upon himself to enforce the rules of the game?

isn't McCann well-known for being one to take it upon himself to enforce the rules of the game?

Only when someone murders a home run and then dares to peek at it with their eyeballs instead of running at an appropriate speed around the bases with their head down.

There are a bunch more videos coming out - McCann, Marisnick, Springer, Altuve all seem to have been apart of it, probably the whole team. There is a new one against chris archer where they have 1 bang for change, 2 bangs for sliders. It's shitty, but the internet memes coming out about it are all great.

Do you realize how silly this all is? Remember even if, you can get the message on the pitch, you won't know the location. To think they got the call right every time is laughable.

It could be argued that opponents thinking about stealing their signs is as important as stealing them. After all, as Yogi said, "90% of this game is half mental".

That's a bad take, but ok. Pitch recognition is a major part of hitting, if you know the pitch is a fastball or offspeed is coming, location doesn't matter as much.

Location is the difference between being an ace and a long reliever.

Also, if the rumor was out there, everyone knew about it really quickly. If they thought they knew the Astros were doing it, they could change the signals.

Back