• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

Do you realize how silly this all is? Remember even if, you can get the message on the pitch, you won't know the location. To think they got the call right every time is laughable.

It could be argued that opponents thinking about stealing their signs is as important as stealing them. After all, as Yogi said, "90% of this game is half mental".

You really making the argument that knowing that Kershaw's curve is coming isn't a massive advantage? Obviously having location would be even more of an advantage, but knowing whether you are about to get a curve/fastball/changeup alone is a huge deal.

If you're using technology to do it, it's cheating. If you have a guy on second that's relaying it in, fair game.

Location is the difference between being an ace and a long reliever.

Also, if the rumor was out there, everyone knew about it really quickly. If they thought they knew the Astros were doing it, they could change the signals.

It doesn't matter how good you can locate a pitch if the batter knows whats coming - its easy to hit a fastball on the edge of the zone if you know its a fastball, its a lot easier to take a changup that dives out of the zone if you know a changeup is coming. A pitcher that can paint the corners only does it with a good mix of pitches.

And generally, the difference between and Ace and a Long Reliever is having 2 or more plus pitches versus 1 - hence the point of making a pitcher less relevant if you know what he is throwing you.

Probably a waste of my time even responding, but oh well, I'm bored sitting on a train for 3 more hours.

Report: Astros executive left paper trail in alleged sign-stealing scheme with 2017 email

The email was reportedly obtained by The Athletic on the condition that the sender and recipients were unnamed. ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports the executive behind the email is Kevin Goldstein, the team’s director of pro scouting at the time. Goldstein’s title has since changed to special assistant to the general manager, player personnel.

.... the Baseball Prospectus guy came up with the sign stealing?

It doesn't matter how good you can locate a pitch if the batter knows whats coming - its easy to hit a fastball on the edge of the zone if you know its a fastball, its a lot easier to take a changup that dives out of the zone if you know a changeup is coming. A pitcher that can paint the corners only does it with a good mix of pitches.

And generally, the difference between and Ace and a Long Reliever is having 2 or more plus pitches versus 1 - hence the point of making a pitcher less relevant if you know what he is throwing you.

Probably a waste of my time even responding, but oh well, I'm bored sitting on a train for 3 more hours.

You don't need to be a douche. We hadn't had any problems. Don't be weak.

Decided to search for old posts about Kevin Goldstein and I do not regret it:

Kevin Goldstein
‏@Kevin_Goldstein
Couple of days ago I was wondering if the #Royals system was the best I've seen since doing what I do. It certainly is now.
Reply Retweet Favorite More

1:21 PM - 19 Dec 2010

Astros Pro Scouting Coordinator, LET'S GO

Honestly, I hope all their prospects suck and Kevin Goldstein gets canned.

Which organization had to can someone a few years ago for hacking into another team's database? Astros? Cardinals? I can't recall the specifics.
ETA: It was the Cardinals. Employee got the Pete Rose treatment; team was slapped on the wrist.

Last edited:
Which organization had to can someone a few years ago for hacking into another team's database? Astros? Cardinals? I can't recall the specifics.
ETA: It was the Cardinals. Employee got the Pete Rose treatment; team was slapped on the wrist.

The Cards employee that accessed the Astros' IT network (the Astros hired former Cardinals front office people that didn't change their passwords) spent two years in federal prison, and the Astros also insisted restitution which was in the 7 figures. My take on the SI article that detailed the incident was that the Astros went out of their way to ruin the perpetrator's life beyond his banning from the game.

The Cards employee that accessed the Astros' IT network (the Astros hired former Cardinals front office people that didn't change their passwords) spent two years in federal prison, and the Astros also insisted restitution which was in the 7 figures. My take on the SI article that detailed the incident was that the Astros went out of their way to ruin the perpetrator's life beyond his banning from the game.

Some of the Astros players are likeable; the organization, not so much.

Some of the Astros players are likeable; the organization, not so much.

Took them all of six weeks to go from model organization for all of MLB to misogynistic, cheating-ass dickbags.

Grandal goes to the White Sox in their biggest FA spend ever at 4/$73. Lot of good young talent there.

Moosetacos goes to the Reds on a 4/$64. Their biggest FA contract ever. Reds looking like a competitive team in the Central. Brewers going the other way - also debating about moving Hader.

Is Moose going to play 2nd? Reds have one of the best 3rd basemen in the NL in Eugenio Suarez 49 HRs and 103 RBI last year. Moose was a craptastic defensive 2nd baseman for the Brewers last year.

Is Moose going to play 2nd? Reds have one of the best 3rd basemen in the NL in Eugenio Suarez 49 HRs and 103 RBI last year. Moose was a craptastic defensive 2nd baseman for the Brewers last year.

All the reports say he is playing 2B. Defense be damned, that offense should be good - and their rotation is starting to look really good too.

Gotta think this is a decent overpay, but good for them. Wondering if this pushes up the market on everyone.

Hames turns 36 later this month.

Baseball reference projects the following numbers for Hamels in 2020: 8-8 4.14 1.353 WHIP 3.5 BB/9 8.5 K/9. Is that worth $18 million?

Back