• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

Not trying to be argumentative here, but that really misses the point. The Astros had a camera aimed directly at the signs for the entirety of games, and a person in the dugout tunnel full time decoding those signs. If the signs were fake or changed, they would know within a few pitches what the new ones are. So in that sense, there really isn’t any sort of argument to the “what if the stolen signs are wrong” thing you just posted. That applies to what teams do with a runner on second, not to this.

This is exactly right - once they figured out the kadence, it was easy, they were seeing every single pitch, not just stealing having a batter try to peak at a random sign here or there. Trying to compare what the Astros did to having a guy on second relay a message to a batter is asinine.

Braves gotta step up and make a trade. Getting a ruling on Bryant’s service time needs to happen soon so we can figure out how much to offer.

Rumor is end of next week for KB, but who knows - its taking forever.

It truly is, and I’m sure all of this stuff this week might push it back. But I also feel like we’ve been hearing “end of next week,” since the WS ended.

Braves are gonna do something dumb and just sign Ozuna or Castellanos and somehow call it a day. Not giving Donaldson 4/92 is kind of baffling. But I’d be willing to bet they don’t make a major trade giving up prospects, just doesn’t seem to be the direction they want to go.

Gotta make use of the prospects eventually. It seems like the last two or three off seasons, we’ve been saying that now is the time to deal them. Soon enough, some are going to falter and have no value whatsoever. We also don’t have space for every top guy, so make use of their value while you can.

I don't see the Braves (or anyone really) giving up what the Cubs want for Bryant.

I can't see Bryant re-signing with the Cubs. As pissed as he is, if the Cards offer him a reasonable deal, I wouldn't be surprised if he signed there just to mess with the Cubs for being cheap.

Braves are gonna do something dumb and just sign Ozuna or Castellanos and somehow call it a day. Not giving Donaldson 4/92 is kind of baffling. But I’d be willing to bet they don’t make a major trade giving up prospects, just doesn’t seem to be the direction they want to go.

One report says there's a 5th year option but didn't provide details. If it is not a club option, I can see why the Braves balked.

One report says there's a 5th year option but didn't provide details. If it is not a club option, I can see why the Braves balked.

It's a $16 million club option, so they can't use that excuse. They must really think within 2 years he won't be physically able to play solid D at 3rd, which is 100% a guessing game. I mean, they let Chipper play 3rd until he was 40 and it wasn't the end of the world, so acting like Donaldson will definitely be DH only by 2022 is silly.

I can't see Bryant re-signing with the Cubs. As pissed as he is, if the Cards offer him a reasonable deal, I wouldn't be surprised if he signed there just to mess with the Cubs for being cheap.

This is a joke right? The Cubs offered him an 8 year deal that was more than $200 million at the end of 2018 that would buy out 3 of his arb years and average close to $30 million a year in his remaining 5 years - in years 4-8 he would have been in the top 5 highest paid position players in baseball. Boras isn't going to sign anything unless it smashes records, otherwise he is going to FA where he can work his magic.

I can understand not wanting to commit 4 years to Donaldson. No player at 34 or older has gotten a contract that long for that kind of value since Kevin Brown more than a decade to go. On top of his age, Donaldson has an injury history. Think there is a good chance that by 2022, the Twins are paying Donaldson a lot of money to DH, pinch hit and sit on the DL.

Bryant has been pissed about this since he was a rookie. He's even taken the Cubs to court about it. This isn't something new. He has felt cheated for years.

Bryant has been pissed about this since he was a rookie. He's even taken the Cubs to court about it. This isn't something new. He has felt cheated for years.

Lol, it's not the Cubs hes mad at, it's the rule. Please read anything he has said in regards to his relationship, status and desire to remain with the Cubs.

The Cubs could have brought him up for his full rookie year. Lots of teams do that. Lots of rookies start the season on the big roster.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-kris-bryant-upset-cubs-spt-0403-20150402-story.html

Of that caliber, lots is not the correct word. The union is handling a lot of the grievance, it's more about changing the rule than it is about Kris being upset with the Cubs - he clearly wants his payday earlier, but the assumption that he is pissed at the Cubs or think they are cheap is incorrect.

It's a $16 million club option, so they can't use that excuse. They must really think within 2 years he won't be physically able to play solid D at 3rd, which is 100% a guessing game. I mean, they let Chipper play 3rd until he was 40 and it wasn't the end of the world, so acting like Donaldson will definitely be DH only by 2022 is silly.

Back