• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

Part of the problem is league granted immunity to players for cooperating in investigation. They can’t really go back on that now

Was the immunity just from punishment or from being named? Somewhere Pete Rose is shaking his head.

Part of the problem is league granted immunity to players for cooperating in investigation. They can’t really go back on that now

I could be wrong, but I thought they were given immunity if they told the truth. Altuve may be vulnerable, depending on how the questions were phrased.

Why not let the catchers signal pitchers using a buzzer system (silent on the catcher's end, of course)? Seems that would pretty much end sign stealing, assuming you can build a system that can't be hacked.

I haven’t seen that, got a link? I know that no players have gotten suspended, but haven’t seen immunity. I also don’t think that the league would issue additional penalties.

I still think that this investigation was botched from the get go. But also, does MLB really care about getting this right and bringing justice for what’s been done?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...accounts-conspiracies-baseball-day-epic-chaos

In the completed Astros investigation and ongoing Red Sox investigation, the league has promised players immunity in exchange for truthful testimony. Manfred didn't discipline any Astros despite calling the scheme "player-driven." Still, he did name Beltran, whose firing frustrated multiple player representatives in the MLB Players Association, including one who said: "It's easy to say players got off easy when all the info is out. None of that info is gathered if immunity isn't granted. Doesn't really feel like Beltran got immunity right now, does it?"

Sure seems like the Astros players are more than happy to play the heel next season.

Why not let the catchers signal pitchers using a buzzer system (silent on the catcher's end, of course)? Seems that would pretty much end sign stealing, assuming you can build a system that can't be hacked.

This would also theoretically speed up the game - Manfred's white whale - by eliminating all the on-field jockeying when a runner reaches 2B.

Braves sign Ozuna to a 1/$18. After hearing the expectations for him and Castellanos over the winter, expected much higher.

Ozuna is a poor defender and is super-streaky. I wouldn't make an expensive long-term commitment to him.

Good chance no one reads the Cubs thread, but Castellanos goes to the Reds on a 4/$64 with opt outs after the 1st and 2nd year.

Starling Marte traded to the Dbacks for two prospects - a first round pitcher from last year and a 19 year old shortstop.

Good chance no one reads the Cubs thread, but Castellanos goes to the Reds on a 4/$64 with opt outs after the 1st and 2nd year.

Starling Marte traded to the Dbacks for two prospects - a first round pitcher from last year and a 19 year old shortstop.

Ugh. I would’ve rather had either of those than Ozuna and I would’ve been fine with that contract or that trade.

Ugh. I would’ve rather had either of those than Ozuna and I would’ve been fine with that contract or that trade.

You would have preferred that Castellanos contract over the Ozuna one? That's nuts. He could choose to turn that contract into a 1/$16, a 2/$30, a 4/$64, not to mention the option at the end of the contract. Reds have absolutely no control here. Castellanos has a great 2020 or great 2021? He's gone, or at the very least Reds have to give him a new and bigger deal. He sucks? Reds are on the hook for the whole thing.

He's one of the few legitimate starters to be a worse OF defender than Ozuna, and he's probably a lot worse. Imagine an OF defense on the days Markakis plays: with Markakis in right, Acuna in center and Castellanos in left. That might be the worst OF defense in the MLB.

Castellanos put up 2.8 WAR in 2019, compared to Ozuna's 2.6, which as far as WAR goes is a negligible difference.

All that not to even mention that the Braves best two prospects left in the minors are Waters and Pache, both of which are OFs, meaning they don't expect to need Ozuna past this year. I'd be losing my shit if the Braves gave Castellanos that contract.

The worst defensive OF I ever saw was the Cubs having Kingman, LF, Jesus Figueroa CF, Mike Vail RF. Those guys couldn't catch a cold in February in Alaska.

Bryant lost his grievance. Trade season officially open. Is it possible to trade with the Red to get Nick back?

You would have preferred that Castellanos contract over the Ozuna one? That's nuts. He could choose to turn that contract into a 1/$16, a 2/$30, a 4/$64, not to mention the option at the end of the contract. Reds have absolutely no control here. Castellanos has a great 2020 or great 2021? He's gone, or at the very least Reds have to give him a new and bigger deal. He sucks? Reds are on the hook for the whole thing.

He's one of the few legitimate starters to be a worse OF defender than Ozuna, and he's probably a lot worse. Imagine an OF defense on the days Markakis plays: with Markakis in right, Acuna in center and Castellanos in left. That might be the worst OF defense in the MLB.

Castellanos put up 2.8 WAR in 2019, compared to Ozuna's 2.6, which as far as WAR goes is a negligible difference.

All that not to even mention that the Braves best two prospects left in the minors are Waters and Pache, both of which are OFs, meaning they don't expect to need Ozuna past this year. I'd be losing my shit if the Braves gave Castellanos that contract.

I do like Castellanos more but I guess you’re right considering the length of the deal. It does increasingly frustrate me that we won’t trade anyone though.

Wonder if the Braves will be able to stall the Cubs long enough to assess Riley in spring training to see if he's worth holding onto.

Wonder if the Braves will be able to stall the Cubs long enough to assess Riley in spring training to see if he's worth holding onto.

I’m perfectly good rolling with Camargo. Let’s trade Riley and some minor league pitching prospects and see what we can get. Throw in Inciarte just to get him out of Atlanta.

Dusty Baker to Houston feels like Jim Grobe to Baylor

Big difference. Dusty still wanted to manage and was doing a good job when forced out of Washington in favor of a new voice. The Astros need a well respected guy to show MLB that nothing funny is happening.

Back to stealing signs the old fashioned way.

Back