• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

BIL trying to convince me to go with him to game 4. Had tix to game 2 of the 2012 NLCS that never happened. The Werth walk-off in game 4 of the NLDS that year is the greatest live sporting moment I’ve seen I think. Damn, this is one of the few times I wish I still lived in DC walking distance to the park.

Nationals didn't score after first inning, but the 7 run first was enough. Bullpen guys came through and got 12 outs without giving up any runs after Corbin ran out of gas in the 5th inning. 7-4 win gives Nats sweep of Cards. Now lots of time for Nats starters to rest before World series starts.

as a Pirates fan it's been great to watch Gerrit Cole leave the Pirates and live up to the potential that he never came close to realizing while with the Pirates

Tyler Glasnow and Austin Meadows, too, although in smaller sample sizes

by "great" I mean like slowly inserting a molten hot poker into my right eye

The joke around MLB was that the Pirates GM, Neal Huntington, should've thrown out the first pitch for the NLDS Game 5 showdown between Tyler Glasnow v. Gerrit Cole.

as a Pirates fan it's been great to watch Gerrit Cole leave the Pirates and live up to the potential that he never came close to realizing while with the Pirates

Don't forget Charlies Morton! We can probably still keep Jose Bautista on that list too.

Astros/Yankees postponed until tomorrow. No more off days for the series.

For a hot second, the Pirates were the place for reclamation project pitchers to go and revive their career. I guess moving Liriano from bad to mediocre is easier than developing prospects from raw to great.

Sounds like it will improve life for minor league players. More pay, less travel, better facilities, better away accommodations.

The change will hurt some small cities that lose the major league affiliation for their team. Cutting 40 affiliations is a lot. With the loss of minor league spots, some guys will have to get 9-5 jobs sooner, as they won't have a spot on a minor league roster to pursue pro baseball dreams.

It will be interesting to see what, if any,impact this change has on college baseball. Could push more kids into junior college baseball. Guys who would have been 26th-40th round picks now will have only various levels of college as outlets to continue baseball.

Why would someone have to pay them?

The value of a minor league team is at least partly based on the existence of an affiliation with a major league team and participation on a league organized by MLB. If major league baseball is terminating those franchise agreements, an arguement could be made that MLB owes the franchise holders some compensation.

In one view, this could be seen as "big corporation" pushing costs onto little guys. The proposed Dreamers League, playing without support from MLB would develop players who would then go into the official farm system teams.

Back