• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

WTF? You should be allowed to touch the base, which is why Turner was where he was at that moment.

If the Nats and Turner want to be pissed be pissed at not doing what you are supposed to do. Joe Buck needs to shut up. With all the outrage there is over umpiring mistakes this was an easy call (and correct). Someone needs to make Joe read the rule and explain it after the break and apologize for fucking up so bad and making the umpires look bad.

So I can't believe they are looking at this and Joe Buck is absolutely botching this commentary (shocking). The rule is you have to run between the two chalk lines (in foul territory) from 45 feet down the line to the base. You can step inside the chalk the last two steps before you reach first. He ran inside the foul line all the way from the plate. He interfered with the fielder's ability to catch the ball. This is textbook runner's lane interference and I can't believe they are looking at it this long. Also everything Joe Buck said is bullshit.

He was centered on the base in the last two steps.

But doesn’t matter because BALL DONT LIE!

Well I was typing something out but now it is a moot point.

WTF? You should be allowed to touch the base, which is why Turner was where he was at that moment.

The two chalk lines are there for a reason. You can only step back inside the foul line for the last two steps. If he had been where he was supposed to and stepped in right before getting to first he would not have been called for interference. Major leaguers should know better. And Joe Buck is fueling ongoing misunderstanding of baseball rules. Like most commentators do regularly.

That was a great call in a big moment by Holbrook.

I think if the ball had hit Turner about 10 feet earlier then the call would be valid, but you have to let the guy touch the base.

Who cares where he was before the ball was fielded? When the ball got to the first baseman, he was right at the bag.

Would that rule be called if the ball was thrown five feet over the first baseman's head? I guess they are implying that the runner affected the throw in some unknowable way, but I have no idea how Turner tries to touch the base without affecting the 1B fielding the throw, regardless of his approach.

Then why don’t they call out every single runner who touches the grass?

There has to be interference for there to be an out. But when runners run outside the lines they put themselves in jeopardy of being called out if there is anything close to interference with the first baseman receiving the throw.

Who cares where he was before the ball was fielded? When the ball got to the first baseman, he was right at the bag.

You get one step to leave the lane and hit the bag. It's just the rule. I'd have to see the replay again but he hit the glove before the ball got there. And I'm not so sure he would have been safe if the ball was caught. But regardless the benefit of the doubt always goes to the defense because all the runner has to do is run where he is supposed to and he is protected. People may not like it but it's the rule and it was properly applied. Run where you are supposed to.

There has to be interference for there to be an out. But when runners run outside the lines they put themselves in jeopardy of being called out if there is anything close to interference with the first baseman receiving the throw.

You get one step to leave the lane and hit the bag. It's just the rule. I'd have to see the replay again but he hit the glove before the ball got there. And I'm not so sure he would have been safe if the ball was caught. But regardless the benefit of the doubt always goes to the defense because all the runner has to do is run where he is supposed to and he is protected. People may not like it but it's the rule and it was properly applied. Run where you are supposed to.

He hit the glove on his stride that hit the bag. Terrible call.

Would that rule be called if the ball was thrown five feet over the first baseman's head? I guess they are implying that the runner affected the throw in some unknowable way, but I have no idea how Turner tries to touch the base without affecting the 1B fielding the throw, regardless of his approach.

No, not to bore people with rules, but...no. In Major League Baseball the throw has to be "true" meaning good enough to be caught. And the interference isn't about the throw or the ability to make a throw but the ability of the first baseman to catch the ball. He was clearly hindered. Yeah it was bang-bang but if the runner is out of the lane the benefit goes to the defense. This is pretty clear cut really.

In high school baseball the throw doesn't have to be "true" so if it went 10 feet over the fielder's head and out of play you would still call interference. Baseball rules are complicated. Most fans don't know half what they think they know.

Anyone who has played and/or watched high level baseball knows that is a bad call, but the baseball god's corrected it. Worse than the call was that 5 minute fact replay when some baseball official needed to learn the rules of baseball to understand if that was a judgement call or rules call so the nats could protest? That was absurd.

Already answered this above. But there has to be interference. And also it only applies to throws coming from around the plate so usually that's the catcher or pitcher.

He hit the glove on his stride that hit the bag. Terrible call.

By rule it was absolutely the right call.

He got back inside, his left foot hit the middle to middle right of the bad. The ball and glove basically hit him in the dick. It was the wrong call. On top of that, you are supposed to play baseball like that. I don't care what some stat nerd who writes think pieces on the athletic says about what the rules book says. That is exactly how you are supposed to legally run down the baseline as a right-handed batter.

It was the wrong call and a bad call. You never make that call, much less in a world series game 6.

He got back inside, his left foot hit the middle to middle right of the bad. The ball and glove basically hit him in the dick. It was the wrong call. On top of that, you are supposed to play baseball like that. I don't care what some stat nerd who writes think pieces on the athletic says about what the rules book says. That is exactly how you are supposed to legally run down the baseline as a right-handed batter.

Who is the stat nerd? Right or left-handed batters can run inside the baseline to the 45 foot line (see where the lane clearly starts) and by that point you have to move outside the foul line into the three foot lane until your last step or stride to the base. Turner clearly had both feet out of the lane all the way. Benefit goes to defense. Also when the first baseman is looking for that throw he would have been staring right through Turner and couldn't stretch out the way a first baseman normally would. May have made a difference. Who knows? So benefit protects defense there. Sorry you don't like the rule.

Already answered this above. But there has to be interference. And also it only applies to throws coming from around the plate so usually that's the catcher or pitcher.

By rule it was absolutely the right call.

By rule it’s a judgement call. And the ump had terrible judgement.

Back