• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 MLB Hot Stove Thread...

Boras is gonna be getting a nice commission check. I think he gets 5%?

HUGE news from MLB- according to Stephen A MLB will increase testing for opiods and remove pot from the banned substance list like they did recently for the minor league testing protocol.

Read where part of the reason the bidding has been so insane on pitchers this year is that the next few years for FA starting pitchers does not look all that hot. Obviously that can change with a break out season here or there, but GM's are looking out and thinking this is the year to make a move. That being said 9 years. Wow.

Good point. I was trying to think of the next big FA pitcher who can use the Cole contract as a bar. Surely someone will come from nowhere, but otherwise who do we have? Guys like deGrom, Syndergaard, Kluber, Snell possibly. Guys like Nola are already locked up and the rest of the premium pitchers are older.

It could be argued that with Trout, Rendon and Othani that the Angels have the best heart of the lineup in the AL, but their pitching is historically bad. They need to get Ryu and someone else to be competitive.

Good point. I was trying to think of the next big FA pitcher who can use the Cole contract as a bar. Surely someone will come from nowhere, but otherwise who do we have? Guys like deGrom, Syndergaard, Kluber, Snell possibly. Guys like Nola are already locked up and the rest of the premium pitchers are older.

Wondering if the Mets picking up Porcello and Wacha is a precursor to moving Syndergaard. Both Porcello and Wacha are complete wild cards, but at least they can eat innings.

Also, Gardy Party back with the Yanks on a 1/$10 with a $10 million club option for next year. Not bad for a 36 year old, perfect hitter for that ballpark.

It could be argued that with Trout, Rendon and Othani that the Angels have the best heart of the lineup in the AL, but their pitching is historically bad. They need to get Ryu and someone else to be competitive.

Angels seem like an org with no coherent strategy.

Astros on limited time with their roster and not being to pay all their studs.

Mariners AL West Overlords 2021-2025!

Next year is the year for the A's.

Last year before Semien becomes a FA. Chapman and Olsen are still under team control. Khris Davis was banged up last year. Mannea and Puk back from injury. Jose Luzardo will be a star. Liam Hendricks was the best closer in the AL last year. After next season, the A's will have to start re-tooling, but with the Astros losing Cole and Verlander a year older; 2020 will be a good year for the Athletics.

I agree. Arte Moreno looked good early when he bought a team that was already put together. When they were broken up, he has been floundering.

It's too bad MLB doesn't have a TV contract like the NFL so that the Astros could keep their team together.

Probably 3% or a little more on the salary. Agents make a higher percentage on endorsements and appearances.

Everything I’ve seen says 5%. MLB doesn’t have a cap for agent commissions.

The NBA and NFL limit agent's cuts to a max of 3%. MLB doesn't have that rule, but routinely the bigger the contract the lower the rate.

Next wave of really big money free agent pitchers is probably not until 2023/2024 with guys like Buehler, Castillo, Flaherty, Soroka, Bieber. Only guys in the top 25 in fWAR last year that are FA's before that are Lynn (2021), Morton (2021 option), Scherzer (2021), Syndergaard (2021), Berrios (2022), Minor (2020).

So to answer your question, the next big FA that could theoretically use Cole as a bar is probably Syndergaard if he could just have one healthy and dominant season. My money would be that Cole's contract isn't even approached until Buehler does it.

Cole was really the perfect storm if you think about it. Never reached his potential in Pittsburgh - gets traded to a perfect situation in Houston with another ace (two after Greinke), then turns it on for an historic run through the WS in his walk year. And his walk year coincides with the biggest money market team absolutely desperate for a #1 SP. And then the #2 SP on the market signs right before him with a then record deal.

That's too many pieces perfectly falling together to expect to see it again any time soon.

Next wave of really big money free agent pitchers is probably not until 2023/2024 with guys like Buehler, Castillo, Flaherty, Soroka, Bieber. Only guys in the top 25 in fWAR last year that are FA's before that are Lynn (2021), Morton (2021 option), Scherzer (2021), Syndergaard (2021), Berrios (2022), Minor (2020).

So to answer your question, the next big FA that could theoretically use Cole as a bar is probably Syndergaard if he could just have one healthy and dominant season. My money would be that Cole's contract isn't even approached until Buehler does it.

The way the Braves locked up Acuna and Albies it will be interesting to see how they handle Soroka. The dichotomy between starting pitchers and everyday players may be too much for the Braves to move to extend him sooner rather than later.

Always thought that Madison Bumgarner would sign with an NL team as he has been the best hitting pitcher over the past few seasons, and saw no reason why he would give up that edge (Zach Greinke hates pitching in the AL for that reason). D'Backs won 85 games and finished only 4 games out of the WC with a ton of injuries, and now they add Bumgarner. Ketel Marte may be the most under-appreciated/under-publicized star in the game. People like to hype the Padres as team most-likely to challenge the Dodgers, but its the D'backs.

Back