• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Basketball Media Day

The amazing thing is that Wellman interviewed Manning and BZ and came away thinking these guys had what it takes to lead a marquee basketball program in the best conference in the country.

Wellman was really really bad at the most important aspect of his job.

Exactly.

Manning’s interview was the only thing to happen in the world of sports today worse than the braves implosion.

maybe manning's "taking a step" comment meant taking a step backwards

Hard to tell what this Deac team will do with Manning as the coach but the reason for hope is the vast amount of experience in the backcourt and to some extent in the frontcourt. They will not have to rely on young players who inevitably hit the wall come ACC play as they have 3 seniors in Childress, White, and Johnson and 2 juniors in Sarr and Brown. Manning will not be able to use the "youth" excuse this season, but I have a feeling he will muck this year up anyway

blasphemy on this thread, not a high bar, Manning is horrible, but I don't see WF finishing last

hopefully I put enough qualifiers in there to avoid blowback

Hard to tell what this Deac team will do with Manning as the coach but the reason for hope is the vast amount of experience in the backcourt and to some extent in the frontcourt. They will not have to rely on young players who inevitably hit the wall come ACC play as they have 3 seniors in Childress, White, and Johnson and 2 juniors in Sarr and Brown. Manning will not be able to use the "youth" excuse this season, but I have a feeling he will muck this year up anyway

Having experience only goes so far when you suck and all of your experience is losing.

In the player survey, which is anonymous, we are left with this gem for the question "Worst arena for a visiting team?":

"Wake Forest because they don't have many fans. No disrespect to them."

Oh heavens yes!

Can he just once actually answer a question without resorting to meaningless platitudes and empty BS? The man is worse than a politician in not ever truly answering a question.

While it'd be sad to hear (given how bad WF has been), I'd have given Manning some respect if he had said something like "we didn't do great OOC last season, so we want to enter ACC play with no more than 2 or 3 losses. Then in ACC play, we struggled mightily so I'd like to see us aim to at least double our conference wins. It does not get us back to where the program needs to be but that would be "taking a step" none the less."

No, he can't because he doesn't know how to coach basketball.

In the player survey, which is anonymous, we are left with this gem for the question "Worst arena for a visiting team?":

Oh heavens yes!

Wow

Having experience only goes so far when you suck and all of your experience is losing.

Experience in this case just means more years under Manning and is therefore a negative.

Better bet would be to have all freshmen who have yet to feel the disillusionment.

This team has no front court talent. It would take an actual coach to win with this group.

Oh heavens yes!

Does John Currie's assistant, the one who screens his emails, read these boards? Can't imagine Currie ever sees this and goes "cool, we are doing all we can for men's hoops...all is well..." LMAO at this, too.

Does John Currie's assistant, the one who screens his emails, read these boards? Can't imagine Currie ever sees this and goes "cool, we are doing all we can for men's hoops...all is well..." LMAO at this, too.

Didn't want to bother linking it because I'm on mobile and would probably mess it up, but it was in the N&O article about the player survey. So no need to read the boards for this pearl if they're following the news.

Also notable, for the question of which ACC coach, other than your own, would you want to play for, none chose Manning. Probably the least shocking thing here.

Also notable, for the question of which ACC coach, other than your own, would you want to play for, none chose Manning. Probably the least shocking thing here.

They could probably have left off the "other than your own" part and he still would have had none.

Oh heavens yes!

Truth hurts and the Joel used to be a tough place to play because of our fans. How far we’ve fallen.

I don’t even think the player Manning would want to play for the coach Manning.

Wow, changing the subject a bit. Just watched the one on one interview with Randolph Childress from the ACC media days. People on the board I think often feel like what they post reflects the truth about, and characterization of, anyone they mention in a post. Our team has not been good for quite a long time, but I challenge anyone to watch the interview with Randolph and not come away feeling proud to have such an articulate, humble, honest and proud man associated with our program. If you didn't know his history with Wake Forest, or the record of the teams he's been part of the staff for, you'd definitely come away very impressed with him. Here's hoping his influence on the team this season reflects the true Randolph Childress. Go Deacs !

Back