• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Basketball Media Day

Wow, changing the subject a bit. Just watched the one on one interview with Randolph Childress from the ACC media days. People on the board I think often feel like what they post reflects the truth about, and characterization of, anyone they mention in a post. Our team has not been good for quite a long time, but I challenge anyone to watch the interview with Randolph and not come away feeling proud to have such an articulate, humble, honest and proud man associated with our program. If you didn't know his history with Wake Forest, or the record of the teams he's been part of the staff for, you'd definitely come away very impressed with him. Here's hoping his influence on the team this season reflects the true Randolph Childress. Go Deacs !
Human shield human shielding.

Yay, our unqualified and underperforming assistant coach whose legendary status as a player is now tarnished by allowing himself to become a human shield for Wellman gives a great interview. GO DEACS! NOW I'm excited about this season!!

Wow, changing the subject a bit. Just watched the one on one interview with Randolph Childress from the ACC media days. People on the board I think often feel like what they post reflects the truth about, and characterization of, anyone they mention in a post. Our team has not been good for quite a long time, but I challenge anyone to watch the interview with Randolph and not come away feeling proud to have such an articulate, humble, honest and proud man associated with our program. If you didn't know his history with Wake Forest, or the record of the teams he's been part of the staff for, you'd definitely come away very impressed with him. Here's hoping his influence on the team this season reflects the true Randolph Childress. Go Deacs !
Childress is an all-time WF great and deserves a hell of a lot of adulation from everyone for what he gave to the school as a player.

However, he has been part of the last two bad coaching staffs at WF. So one of the following is likely true: Childress is part of the problem, Childress is still "developing" as a coach, or Childress is simply not able to counteract the level of awfulness from the head coach. Regardless, after this many years at WF for Childress, it is not likely that he will be able to have any new noticeable effect on the program all of a sudden this year.

Childress is an all-time WF great and deserves a hell of a lot of adulation from everyone for what he gave to the school as a player.

However, he has been part of the last two bad coaching staffs at WF. So one of the following is likely true: Childress is part of the problem, Childress is still "developing" as a coach, or Childress is simply not able to counteract the level of awfulness from the head coach. Regardless, after this many years at WF for Childress, it is not likely that he will be able to have any new noticeable effect on the program all of a sudden this year.
Good post, I have to think it is likely #3 the bolded part

Good post, I have to think it is likely #3 the bolded part
Why do you think that? What coaching expertise or credentials does Childress have? He was handed his first job at a position far exceeding his experience. Manning is a far more experienced and credentialed player and coach. [Redacted] was a far more experienced and credentialed coach. There's no reason to believe Childress is a great, or even good, coach who simply can't overcome his boss other than wanting it to be so because we all loved him as a player. The evidence just doesn't support it.

We don't know if Childress can coach. No one does. All we know is that he has a certain personal charisma and that he has worked as an assistant under two of the worst head coaches in the history of the ACC. So, he has certainly gotten an education on how not to coach if you want to be successful.

Last edited:

Probably will.

Usually year 6 is when the influence of a quality assistant coach really shows up.

We don't know if Childress can coach. No one does. All we know is that he has a certain personal charisma and that he has worked as an assistant under two of the worst head coaches in the history of the ACC. So, he has certainly gotten an education on how not to coach if you want to be successful.

No offense but I don’t understand this position. If he could coach, it would have manifested itself over this much time, even from the assistant’s chair. Bz and Manning are a lot to overcome, but if he can’t do something positive to overcome their coaching then why is he there?

And we haven’t seen anything to demonstrate he’s doing something positive to overcome their coaching. Nothing from his comments, from his on court activity, from what we see in practices, not even really much from what we’ve seen in his own son’s development. Nothing. Maybe he can recruit, certainly he could play, and he will always be the king of the swagger in Deacons’ eyes. But I don’t think he can coach.

Well, I can see that Randolph Childress won't earn your respect until he does what NOBODY has ever done at Wake Forest as a coach. Watch his interview. He's still a pretty good guy to represent our university whether we ever win another game or not. I suggest you all go hire Bruce Pearl or Bill Self to satisfy your cravings. Otherwise get over it.

Well, I can see that Randolph Childress won't earn your respect until he does what NOBODY has ever done at Wake Forest as a coach. Watch his interview. He's still a pretty good guy to represent our university whether we ever win another game or not. I suggest you all go hire Bruce Pearl or Bill Self to satisfy your cravings. Otherwise get over it.

Nobody? No one is asking for much. I think we would all be satisfied with not being a perennial embarrassment at this point.

Lol. #hottakes from FusionDad.

Fusion should join the administration. They don't care if Wake wins another game or not either.

This is why Wake can't have nice things. #worstvenueintheacc

Nobody has ever put a competitive ACC quality product on the floor that isn't a league wide laughingstock?

Not really sure why you care. As soon as we approached upper level in the ACC, you will revert to your contrarian "we aren't as good as everybody thinks we are" sctick. Your act is transparent.

Last edited:
The fact that Danny downplayed the idea of “sense of urgency,” whereas it has literally been a hashtag campaign for our football team, says everything about the state of both programs.

This is where leadership and accountability are needed. Danny seems to have no one guiding or correcting him in any way. Does the department not care that there is this obvious discrepancy between the two programs and coaches? Wellman didn’t. Will Currie?

Media Day was the first chance for us to see some evidence that Manning is getting a different message from his new boss. So far, nothing different.

His answer about taking a step is the worst ever. He is barely holding on to his job, only due to financial reasons. His team is predicted to finish last in the entire conference. He's coming off back-to-back 20 loss seasons for the 1st time ever in program history. This guy either doesn't really want the job/have passion for it, or he's the most incompetent head coach ever. Either way, its time to get rid of him no matter the cost. Currie cannot repeat the mistakes of Wellman.

being picked behind Virginia Tech is rather telling. that's bad.

When your starting PG and team's best player... is smaller than the Nike mannequin wearing your new ACC uniform.

The mannequin is more animated than Danny.

Back