• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rank the Importance of your Sports Fandom for all the Sports Teams you Follow

Atlanta Braves #1. Definitely the Braves. Looking forward to watching them the rest of this postseason.

2FlIWg.gif

Wake football
Dallas Stars
Arsenal

Texas Longhorn football
Wake other sports
Dallas Cowboys

Texas Rangers

Dallas Mavericks

These fluctuate and at any given point in time the top 5 have been #1. For my entire life through around 2008 the Red Sox were always #1. Breaking the 86 year curse after all the heartbreak will always be my #1 memory, I still get chills watching the 2004 championship DVD and was at most of the classic games. But baseball in general has fallen back on my list while football and hockey moved up. Patriots fever took over Boston and to be honest I love watching hockey live most out of any of these sports. In terms of investment, I have Bruins season tickets and have for years, I've probably attended 500 Red Sox games, plus tons of Wake games of course. But I've never posted on another sports message board with the exception of the Wake forums... so that says something too.

1) New England Patriots
2) Wake Forest football
3) Boston Bruins
4) Boston Red Sox
5) Wake Forest basketball
6) Boston Celtics basketball
7) Blackpool FC soccer
8) Maine Black Bears football
9) Maine Black Bears hockey
10) Other Wake Sports

I'm really not invested in anything else.

It's surprising that so many people have a team other than a Wake team as their number 1.

Why is it surprising? Everyone followed sports for much of their eighteen years before coming to Wake and had favorite teams before becoming Deacs.

Why is it surprising? Everyone followed sports for much of their eighteen years before coming to Wake and had favorite teams before becoming Deacs.

I guess because I grew up in a Wake family and the Deacons have always been my #1. Pro sports have pretty much been second tier for me.

For most in the South, especially for those of us who grew us w/ the Braves, Hawks (Hornets for some), and Falcons being the only southern pro teams that existed, college sports are more important than pro sports. As college allegiance switches to the school someone attends, it becomes their #1 sport team with whom they identify.

It’s been so long feeling numb about wake bball, I wonder if fandom will bounce back when (if?) we climb out of the abyss. It could be more like a rubber band that stretched until it simply broke though.

To answer the question:
1. Wake football

Huge gap

2. Blue Jays
3. Any compelling game

Wake Football

S Car football

Wake Baseball, soccer and basketball

S Car Basketball and Baseball

Panthers

Most important..................................Least Important
Philadelphia Eagles ............................. NHL
USWNT Soccer ................................... The NBA
Wake Forest Football ................................. MMA
College Football ................................... Pro Lacrosse
Atlanta Braves ..................................... WNBA
Wake Basketball................................College Softball
USMNT Soccer...................................College Baseball
Clemson Football...............................Poker

At present...

1. Cubs baseball
2. Wake football

3. College football

4. Wake basketball
5. Bears football

College basketball will join, then replace college football as the seasons change.

Wake basketball was #1 for years but Wellman's determined effort to destroy it has worked. He once told Dino he knew little about basketball. He was being far too generous in his self appraisal.

Most important..................................Least Important
Philadelphia Eagles ............................. NHL
USWNT Soccer ................................... The NBA
Wake Forest Football ................................. MMA
College Football ................................... Pro Lacrosse
Atlanta Braves ..................................... WNBA
Wake Basketball................................College Softball
USMNT Soccer...................................College Baseball
Clemson Football...............................Poker

wtf is this format

Wake Forest is by far at the top for me, in fact I have little energy left for my other teams. I am a Redskins Facepalm, Braves and Hurricanes fan, but honestly I don't have anywhere near the emotional investment in those teams that I have in Wake Forest. I am a big fan of college football in general.

Wake Forest is by far at the top for me, in fact I have little energy left for my other teams. I am a Redskins Facepalm, Braves Facepalm and Hurricanes fan, but honestly I don't have anywhere near the emotional investment in those teams that I have in Wake Forest. I am a big fan of college football in general.

FIFY

UF Football
Wake Football
Bucs
Rays
Braves
UF Basketball
Wake Baseball
UF Baseball
(Big drop in priority):
Women's Heavyweight Competitive Eating
Wake Basketball

Need to watch, care about:

1. (dormant) WF Basketball
2. WF Football
3. Federer in late rounds of majors
4. USMNT

Will watch and get into (all tied):

Tennis and golf majors, late rounds
NBA (will watch any entertaining game and the playoffs; generally rooting for Wizards (which is pointless) and teams with WF alums)
College football other than WF (will watch any entertaining game and the playoffs; generally rooting for Michigan, Michigan State, and upsets against the perennial playoff teams, especially Ohio State)
World Cup/Copa America (will watch any entertaining game; after the USMNT, generally rooting for Chile and Italy; very ignorant about soccer)
Ryder Cup/Solheim Cup/International Crown
Nats if they make the playoffs (admitted bandwagon fan; regular season is too boring)
Redskins if they're in the hunt for/make the playoffs (admitted bandwagon fan; watching the typical bad/mediocre Redskins is too boring)

Watch sometimes (all tied):

Champions League/EPL/La Liga (occasionally watch a high-profile matchup; generally rooting for teams with Americans; very ignorant about soccer)
Golf
NFL (will watch some playoff games/high-profile matchups/if there's nothing else on)

*Red Sox: Primary AL team. Ted Williams was my favorite player as a kid; bleacher seats at Fenway cost 50 cents (and Jimmy 'Fear Strikes Out' Piersall might chat with you while you sat there); most fun was in 1967 ('Impossible Dream') -- that is, until the Curse was busted. Many good years this millennium.
*Patriots: There right from the beginning, seeing the Boston Patriots play at, among other places, Fenway, Harvard, and the old Braves/BU field.
*Wake football: Adopted the Deacs as a college team when my younger daughter started at Wake.
*Wake basketball: Importance declining, but still reasonably high because of being averaged along with the Prosser/Paul years.
*Capitals: Jumping above my childhood Bruins in the NHL.
*Celtics: I go back to the wondrous Cousy/Russell era in the old Boston Garden, but I'm less of an NBA fan in recent years.
*Nationals: Secondary (now local) NL team.

The following fall into the category of 'may check the score, if I think about it':
*Wake soccer
*Liverpool
*Bowdoin sports in general (I'm an alum)

Last edited:
My Son's high school football team
Wake Football

Gap

Carolina Panthers

Gap

Hurricanes
NCSU football (my oldest son goes there)
NBA playoffs

Gap

Hate-watch Wake Basketball

Back