• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rank the Importance of your Sports Fandom for all the Sports Teams you Follow

deacon14

Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory, but was having this discussion with a friend and was curious for more answers from Wake fans. Make an ordered list of how important your fandom is to yourself (how much of an effect does a win/loss have on you, how often do you watch, etc.) for all the pro/college sports teams you follow. I excluded National teams, such as the USMNT, for the purpose of this because they feel different to me, but feel free to include if you want to. Here's my list:

1. Braves baseball
2. Wake Forest football

-gap-

3. Panthers football
4. Wake Forest basketball

-gap-

5. Wake Forest soccer/baseball
6. General NBA (I guess I'd call the Hawks my team but I more follow NBA for storylines)
7. General EPL (I genuinely don't have an attachment to any team, like watching Liverpool play most recently but am definitely not a fan in that sense)
8. Carolina Hurricanes

I'm from NC and started at Wake at the same time as both Clawson and Manning (2014) if that answers any questions.

Right now?

1. Wake Forest football
2. Wake Forest basketball
3. Carolina Panthers
4. Wake soccer/baseball
5. Chicago Cubs
6. Boston Bruins

This is probably the only time other than 2006 that I've cared more about Wake football than basketball.

Most recently:

1. Wf football
2. Panthers football
3. Hurricanes hockey
4. Braves baseball
5. Hornets basketball
6. WF basketball - in a sense losses are even better than wins and I can barely stand to watch.

Obviously playoffs in any of the above vault them closer to the top such as Braves playoffs currently. Still behind wake football though, I’d trade game 5 tomorrow for a win against Louisville this weekend.

Tier 1 (Will make every effort to watch every game, get sad when they lose)
Wake Football
Philadelphia 76ers
Everton Football Club

Tier 2 (Don't always know they're playing, will watch if I see they're on, get sad when they lose)
Wake soccer
Detroit Tigers
Ohio State football

Tier 3 (Watch sometimes, don't really care either way)
Wake basketball

Wake Football
Wake Basketball*
Panthers/Steelers (Depending on which is good, if both are good, I'll put Panthers over Steelers, in 25 years they have never played a game against each other where I had to make a tough decision...i.e if they played one would be good and one sucked, so it was easy to decide)

Braves

I could get on the Hornets bandwagon if they were good, but I haven't cared about the NBA since the 90s

*This is provided we can put a decent product on the floor. We don't have to be "good", but just a decent product, good team to watch that is capable to playing competent basketball
A decade of misery has myself not caring as a defense mechanism (the first few years of Bz were tough because it took that long before the "not caring wall" went up)

Wake football
Panthers
Canes
Cubs
Wake basketball/Reading (care about both but they suck right now so checked out)
Hornets

Based off of the fact that I have 2 kids and an 70 hour a week job in season.

Wake Football

Meh

Wake Football
Atlanta Braves
Atlanta Falcons (falling fast)
Atlanta Hawks
Atlanta United (forgot this one)
Wake Soccer
Wake Basketball (distant last - could make large move upward with firing of coach or winning games)

Last edited:
For how many of you has the ordering of WF football and basketball flipped within the last 5 years? I'm curious because that's when I became a Wake fan, and I've always had football on top, but the gap has grown due to both success and the style of play that each program has been able to/tried to implement.

Wake Football
Falcons
Atlanta United
LSU Football
Braves
My Yahoo FFL Team
Wake BBall
Hawks

A National Championship by Wake Bball would make me happier than any of the others winning a chip tho. :panda::panda::panda:

For how many of you has the ordering of WF football and basketball flipped within the last 5 years? I'm curious because that's when I became a Wake fan, and I've always had football on top, but the gap has grown due to both success and the style of play that each program has been able to/tried to implement.

Within the last 5 years? Nope. Lost decade. I feel bad that you’ve never really had a BB team to be excited about. It used to be totally different.

Wake football
Braves
Panthers
Dont watch those 3 live except in person because the stress is too much. Live and die on every play.

Other Wake sports
Formula 1 Lewis Hamilton
Hurricanes
Still stressful but I can watch and am happy when they win.

Wake basketball
Dolphins
I want to care but the past decade has drained it out of me.

Wake football- see you guys at the Orange Bowl
Mavericks -thought my love was going to die when Dirk retired by Luka and Porzy have me excited
Panthers- Always been a Cam fan but Allen appears to be a gamer

Wake basketball- used to be #1 by a longshot
Atlanta United- don't follow to closely but love to go the games

Hornets

Agreed that a Wake BB title would be the top prize out of all my interests. Just shows that deep down there’s still a yearning. Which makes the fall from grace so much more infuriating.

Wake football has trumped Wake basketball for me since 2006. Getting to see Wake win the ACC Championship in football and national championship in soccer made me follow those sports so much more closely. And even though I grew up going to Wake games and got to see Duncan and Childress and Paul and Hodge, I think I just associate Wake bball with pain. For me even though I'd go to all the basketball games while I was a student (05-09) Skip's death took a huge toll on my support for the team. Cursed ass program.

Used to be...

Wake basketball

Atlanta Braves

All other sports

Now, its...

Wake football

Atlanta Braves

All other sports

Wake basketball

For me it used to be:

1) Wake basketball

big jump

2)Wake Football
Carolina Panthers

big jump

NBA basketball

Currently:

Wake Football
Carolina Panthers
NBA basketball - varying teams (wish Michael would sell the Hornets)

big jump

Hate-watch Wake Basketball

Wake football
Wake basketball
Chicago Cubs
Chicago Bears
Chicago Bulls
Northwestern basketball
Northwestern football
Chicago Blackhawks

If Wake basketball could put a halfway decent product on the floor they would be #1. If the Bulls were a playoff team they would trump the Bears (but not the Cubs or Wake).

1. Wake Forest football
2. Philadelphia Eagles football
3. Georgia football
4. Wake basketball
5. Braves baseball

Back