• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New Hotel Space Near BB&T Field/LJVM/Hooks

A wasted opportunity if someone doesn't re-create Simos somewhere on the property.

They will struggle. No place to eat near by except Putters.

Zero idea how this is going to succeed, although I applaud the attempt to improve that part of town. Just not sure who's going to be filling the residential and commercial space, nor all the apartments that are being built downtown. Where is all this demand coming from? If anything Winston is losing big employers, not gaining them.

What else do you need?

Bring back Simo's, Pizza Garden, Saf Room, Wendy's, the BBQ joint, Ziggy's, Tavern on the Green, and someplace for breakfast like IHOP. A lot of restaurants have died along that stretch.

This is a bandaid. Not hating on an attempt to revitalize the area, but Wake continues to sit with its thumb up its ass owning all of the property around the stadium. The metrics haven’t worked to do anything with it. Income levels too low.

But as I sit here trying to find a room for the FSU game it is again apparent that a dramatic thought out plan is needed for this area, but we’ve been focused on leveraging the downtown gifts. Basketball has put a stake in any chance to do something here. Sad

Night games are a disaster for wake athletics because accommodations of quality are miniscule and everything around the campus sucks.

Bring back Simo's, Pizza Garden, Saf Room, Wendy's, the BBQ joint, Ziggy's, Tavern on the Green, and someplace for breakfast like IHOP. A lot of restaurants have died along that stretch.

Coliseum Kitchen

This is a bandaid. Not hating on an attempt to revitalize the area, but Wake continues to sit with its thumb up its ass owning all of the property around the stadium. The metrics haven’t worked to do anything with it. Income levels too low.

But as I sit here trying to find a room for the FSU game it is again apparent that a dramatic thought out plan is needed for this area, but we’ve been focused on leveraging the downtown gifts. Basketball has put a stake in any chance to do something here. Sad

Night games are a disaster for wake athletics because accommodations of quality are miniscule and everything around the campus sucks.

Agreed. I like what they are trying to do and glad they are doing something. I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, the corner of University and Deacon blvd. is an absolute eyesore. Empty space just sitting there looking like shit. I'm at the baseball stadium just about every Monday evening and I can't help but think of how great that space/block could look with the right planning and money commitments. To me the Joel and that area should be a damn priority regarding athletics. Maybe it is and it's just a money issue, I have no idea.

Agreed. I like what they are trying to do and glad they are doing something. I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, the corner of University and Deacon blvd. is an absolute eyesore. Empty space just sitting there looking like shit. I'm at the baseball stadium just about every Monday evening and I can't help but think of how great that space/block could look with the right planning and money commitments. To me the Joel and that area should be a damn priority regarding athletics. Maybe it is and it's just a money issue, I have no idea.

It hasn’t been a priority. downtown has been the priority and source of real estate financing. There have been some ideas but the metrics are so bad in the area around Wake that the no’s. don’t work. Wake itself feels like it is doing enough, pulling it’s weight plus in Winston.

I hate it, but Wake isn’t going to relinquish control and isn’t interested in more investment.

This will be full of tenants within a year and will continually be booked as a hotel. As someone who grew up in Winston and has since moved away, every time I come back I cans see the city growing rapidly. Between the money of the students of Wake, Salem, WSSU and UNCSA along with the development of the downtown Wake campus, this will do fine and most likely help to develop the surrounding areas.

Back