• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eliud Kipchoge breaks 2 hr marathon

I got into this 2 years ago when the Nike team had their Breaking2 effort. Just fascinating all around with the logistics and planning that go into even attempting it. Then you have the actual physical effort to basically sprint 26 miles straight. Amazing.

Running that fast, was he on his way to dinner in LA's Little Ethiopia?

I got 4:56 per mile pace when I did the math, but I agree, an incredible accomplishment. He did it on a closed 6 mile course through a park in Vienna, so pretty flat. And he apparently had pace runners entering the race at varying intervals. But still, unbelievable.

I got 4:56 per mile pace when I did the math, but I agree, an incredible accomplishment. He did it on a closed 6 mile course through a park in Vienna, so pretty flat. And he apparently had pace runners entering the race at varying intervals. But still, unbelievable.

Yeah it’s pretty wild how much effort they put into identifying and designing the route. I guess the guy who funded this even brought in the meteorology crew from the sailing team he owns to assist. They even had certain weather conditions that they had to meet in order to attempt it.

Truly a remarkable athletic accomplishment, a memorable historic milestone. It's one of those wow! did he really do that moments? Congrats.

congrats at being the best at exercising

You did the math wrong.

Who would argue running isn’t a sport?

congrats at being the best at exercising

Lol bc of this.

Anyway sport or no (it clearly is), this is something physiologists weren’t sure theoretically was possible for a long time. The jump it takes over the actual world record just requires so many things to go right from nutrition to weather to gear to the athlete’s mindset to course to pacers, everything. Removing all the advantages that disqualify this from a world record, I wonder if we’ll ever see a true sub-2. There’s not an athlete alive that looks like they can do it yet.

I think I can still walk about a 10-minute mile. I could never run for the sake of running had no problem running all morning or evening playing a sport.

That’s fucking amazing. I’d like to be able to run beside him for 20 to 30 seconds or so to get perspective.

4:34 mile is a 2:17 800 or a 1:08 400 or a 34 second 200. To get a sense of how fast the race is, go run a 200 as fast as you can and time yourself.

Back