• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eliud Kipchoge breaks 2 hr marathon

Lol bc of this.

Anyway sport or no (it clearly is), this is something physiologists weren’t sure theoretically was possible for a long time. The jump it takes over the actual world record just requires so many things to go right from nutrition to weather to gear to the athlete’s mindset to course to pacers, everything. Removing all the advantages that disqualify this from a world record, I wonder if we’ll ever see a true sub-2. There’s not an athlete alive that looks like they can do it yet.

oh for fuck’s sake it’s a quote from a tv show

this is obviously an incredible accomplishment

So what’s the deal with the guys running behind him? Are they like pace runners? How often do they switch off? Obviously they didn’t run with him the whole time.

There are details in that New Yorker article, but they’re running ahead of him for three miles at a time, switching out for fresh legs. He can draft off them and keep as efficient and straight line a stride as possible. He had some Olympic level pace setters on this go round. There were some issues with the hand off of pacer groups in the last attempt that cost him some seconds. There’s also a car that runs about 25 feet ahead that’s neither setting pace nor providing drafting that is showing the most effective straight line to run in. These are all reasons it’s not a world record.

One thing in the NYT article that I didn’t realize before is that he’d never run the marathon distance competitively until 2013? So his first attempt at breaking 2 hours was after 4 years of running that distance in big races. That is absurd.

He's going to run the 100M, 440M hurdles and marathon in Tokyo.

I'm honestly more impressed with his actual WR, at 2:01:39 at last year's Berlin Marathon.

Pace runners and the straight line car are worth a good chunk of time. Plus he did it in a park in Vienna which had very little wind, and was very close to a controlled environment. Running at the front with no sense of time is much tougher.

I think I can still walk about a 10-minute mile. I could never run for the sake of running had no problem running all morning or evening playing a sport.

You think wrong. Average walking speed is just north of 3mph.

Anything over 4.5 to 5 is considered jogging or running.

In other words, at a bare minimum you wouldnt break even 12 min while jogging.

Olympic speed walkers average 7.7 mph. A 10 min mile is 6 mph. Walking a mile in 10 min would be difficult without a ton of training and the right technique.

Nike has shoes that improve marathon times by 60-90 seconds? Whoa.

My 400m PR is 71 seconds and that is really moving. I cannot imagine holding an even better pace for 26.2 miles. Amazing what the human body can do when properly trained and nourished.

My 400m PR is 71 seconds and that is really moving. I cannot imagine holding an even better pace for 26.2 miles. Amazing what the human body can do when properly trained and nourished.

Yeah. A good question would be how long could most of us keep up the average pace it takes for a 2 hour marathon. My guess is no more than a 10-15 seconds.

Another example would be those NFL next gen stats showing guys like Chubb and CMC maxing out at 21.5 mph in pads.

Yeah. A good question would be how long could most of us keep up the average pace it takes for a 2 hour marathon. My guess is no more than a 10-15 seconds.

Another example would be those NFL next gen stats showing guys like Chubb and CMC maxing out at 21.5 mph in pads.

I'm guessing that the median age of posters on the board is in the mid to high 30s, mostly men
I'd also guess most of those are in mediocre to poor shape, although I know a few of you are workout buffs
With that in mind, i'd guess somewhere between 20% to 35% of people on the board couldn't get up to 13.1mph, much less sustain it for any period of time.

I honestly don't know if I could keep it for a full 400. And if I could, I would have to be fresh and could only do it once or twice. The amount of very specific training (which he should be doing as a pro marathoner) he had to do is incredible. What an unbelievable feat.

I'm guessing that the median age of posters on the board is in the mid to high 30s, mostly men
I'd also guess most of those are in mediocre to poor shape, although I know a few of you are workout buffs
With that in mind, i'd guess somewhere between 20% to 35% of people on the board couldn't get up to 13.1mph, much less sustain it for any period of time.

I think the median age is higher than that. I’ve done 12 on a treadmill for 20 seconds before. That all I’ve got. I think I could push it higher but not for too long.

Back