• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake will never compete for anything meaningful without a defense

Are there any good posters with Chill in their name?

Game six of Scott Satterfield's tenure at Louisville(considered by most to be a complete rebuild year) versus year 6 of Clawson's tenure at Wake.

Seriously dude fuck off. I had to read you continually bash clawson last night. If you can't recognize the athletes and facilities advantage satterfield had in his first year versus clawson in his first then you are willfully blind or just a complete turd. Clawson is perfect for wake and one of the positives of this loss is that 8-4 will keep fewer big programs trying to grab him versus they'd all be all over him with an 11-1 season

When you look at Clawson's tenure, D has not been a strength. Seems D did better his first 2-3 years with Grobe recruits. D numbers aren't good. Points allowed generally ok except we've had multiple games in past 3 years where opponents scored over 40. Yardage totals is what sticks out. Giving up 60 points to Louisville is the embarrassment of his tenure, and a super indictment to overall D's lack of talent, size, coaching, and scheme, compared to mid to upper ACC teams for some time now.

UL scored TDs on drives of 28, 13, and 15 yds. All 18 possessions for UL averaged <29 yds/possession. D had some BAD plays but I feel did not play bad. Speed exposed some of our deficiencies but back the bus off of those guys.

Coach Clawson told Stan near the end of the post game show that we have issues on defense. The plays that seem to bother him most was when the Louisville QBs would take off running on bootleg plays and our contain man was nowhere to be found. He said that he knew that the players had been coached better. He didn't throw anyone individually by name under the bus, but there was no doubt that he was pissed about our defense. So if the head coach said we have issues on defense, I have to believe we have issues on defense.

Last edited:
Solution: Get a good proven D1 D Coordinator, one with a proven record. This is not impossible with head coaching turnover. Sawvel had experience as DB coach but not a long record as a coordinator. With our continued problems in coverage, long completions, and passing yardage allowed, it may be proof that the underlying problem was not Sawvel.

Last edited:
we were perpetually out of position due to louisville’s misdirection, especially linebacker — smenda and redd.

Coach Clawson told Stan near the end of the post game show that we have issues on defense. The plays that seem to bother him most was when the Louisville QBs would take off running on bootleg plays and our contain man was nowhere to be found. He said that he knew that the players had been coached better. He didn't throw anyone individually by name under the bus, but there was no doubt that he was pissed about our defense. So if the head coach said we have issues on defense, I have to believe we have issues on defense.

We have issues on defense. But 80deacon said, "embarrassment of his tenure, and a super indictment to overall D's lack of talent, size, coaching, and scheme, compared to mid to upper ACC teams for some time now."
Seems like an extreme hot take for a 5-1 team sitting in the top 30

62 points to anyone is really embarassing... like the jokes I remember about or 3 losses to Oklahoma, Penn State, and Maryland under Mills. To Louisville? This wasn't Clemson or Alabama.

You are right about the overall record, but it doesn't take a prophet to see potential problems on the horizon with ACC competition. My point is solely about the D. Our D numbers bear it out both in the conference and nationally. We'd be a really good team if D was somewhere around average or middle of all D1 teams vs the bottom.

At this point in the season, we've only lost one game and we sill look like we could be the second best team in the ACC. We knew at the beginning of the season that we had issues on D. The defense has improved a lot over last year's version. Anyone remember that train wreck? Clawson knows what he's doing. The defense will continue to improve over time.

Honestly, did anyone ever really believe that we were going 11-1? We've still got a lot of football ahead of us and this can still be a special year. I trust Clawson to learn from the mishaps of last week and we'll be better going forward.

The difference between Clemson and everybody else is draft picks up and down the defensive line. People have one here and one there, but Clemson is ridiculous.

I can just picture Brangus furiously pounding away on his IPad posting this gem in anger on Saturday night after his Gators took the "L" in Baton Rouge

Seriously, our defense just blew Saturday night. My biggest complaint is that we seemed to make no, nada, zilch adjustments at the half. Is the overweight guy with the untucked shirt the defense coordinator? Clueless.

Seriously, our defense just blew Saturday night. My biggest complaint is that we seemed to make no, nada, zilch adjustments at the half. Is the overweight guy with the untucked shirt the defense coordinator? Clueless.

I figured that was the special teams coach. Clawson was having a serious talk with him after Louisville's kick off return to open the 2nd half.

If South Carolina can bounce back, surely we can.

Yep. I don't think the defense truly has a talent problem. They're young at some key places and the misdirection and mobile QBs REALLY did a number on them. They lost contain on the edge, LBs and safeties didn't stay home and the corners got caught looking looking in the backfield. The Corners should know better, but the others will improve.

This game was a discipline issue more than a talent issue. I do worry about mobile QBs going forward. Duke and VT could give us problems.

That game was a coaching problem as well.....we simply were not ready to play that game from the start. It was as if the team had been reading their press clippings after getting ranked. So fuckin flat right out of the gate....and not the one Wellman opened!

Yep. I don't think the defense truly has a talent problem.

Disagree. When #4 and #6 are two of your top three corners... that's a talent problem.

Even more so when the front four can't generate a pass rush and our safeties are learning on the job.

Back