• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carolina Thunderbirds Thread 2019-2020

The Birds beat up the Rumble Bees last night 7-0. 1 minute into the 3rd period Viktor Grebennikov took a high hit and landed awkward on the ice which ensued a line brawl. Viktor has a concussion and was alert and responsive at the hospital last night. I expect he will have tonight off and will be reevaluated when the team gets back to winston. It was a scary hit and fall but thankfully Viktor will be back 100%

Those two teams are VERY physical and have a fight most every time they play. Last Saturday a T-Bird got into a fight with a Rumble bee and put him down with a wicked uppercut after about 25 seconds of punches

Those two teams are VERY physical and have a fight most every time they play. Last Saturday a T-Bird got into a fight with a Rumble bee and put him down with a wicked uppercut after about 25 seconds of punches

Just wait until Elmira comes to town next week. Those games will be full of exciting hockey and fights.

Man, rewatching Viktor's injury from Friday night is brutal.

With the way the benches/stands are oriented, it took a full minute for anybody to notice he was knocked out on the ice.

2:22:00 of this video https://youtu.be/gGAE5WZkUls

The Birds won once again last night with a final score of 6-1 against the Rumble Bees. It was the same story as the previous 4 games against Battle Creek, the birds would put puck after puck on net. With 66 SOG, the Birds are on a 10 game win streak with no signs of slowing down. Cheers to only seeing Battle Creek 2 more times for the year before they move to Bloomington, IL.

The Birds take on the Elmira Enforcers this Friday at 7:35 and Saturday at 6:05 at the annex this weekend. As most Birds fans know, the rivalry between the Birds and the Enforcers is starting to feel like a Auburn/Alabama rivalry. Both teams hate each other with a passion and every game is a tough, gritty battle for a Win. Wake plays Xavier at 3pm this Saturday. Parking is FREE and will be behind the Annex (Midway/Gate 7 whatever you want to call it). I suggest if you go to the wake swing by the annex afterwards so you can actually see a team win for once.

What an action packed weekend that was for Thunderbirds hockey. The Birds and Elmira split the weekend series 1-1. On Friday the birds fought off the Enforcers with a 4-2 win in front of 2,400 fans. The big note from friday nights game was former NHL Enforcer/current K-Vegas FireFighter Steve MacIntyre scored his first goal of the season. Saturday would be a different story, as a back and forth affair between the two teams would lead to a shootout. The Enforcers won in a shootout in front of 3,000 of the flock.

Saturday was the Teddy Bear toss. After Jan Krivohlavek's goal 12 minutes into the game the Flock proceeded to throw/donate teddy bears to the Ronald McDonald House. The Flock donated over 5,500 teddy bears this past weekend. Well done Flock!

The Birds were in Mentor, Ohio to face the Ice Breakers this past weekend (great podcast btw). It took the Birds a period to get things going but when they did, they never looked back. In front of a lackluster 510 fans the Birds just piled the goals on. Saturday was more of the same just the pucks couldn't find the back of the net. Winston-Salem's own Vincent D'Andrea scored his first goal with the team on the way to a 2-1 victory.

The Birds will be at home Dec 27-28 against the Battle Creek Rumble Bees and Dec 31 against the Columbus River Dragons.

*I will be coming home for the holidays and will be attending the game on the 28th, would anyone like to do a little meet up before the game?

22 games into the season and the Thunderbirds (20-1-0-0-1) have amassed 61 of 66 potential points. That's a ridiculous .924 winning % :eek:

(that record format is W/L/T/OTW/OTL)

Also, Battle Creek...zero points in 24 games. They've even scored 40 goals (compared to 161 conceded). Crazy that they haven't earned a single point.

I'm back from leave. While I was gone the Birds whooped the Rumble Bees, and had an incredible comeback 8-6 victory against the Columbus River Dragons on New Years Eve in front of a sold out crowd. The Birds will be in Bloomington, IL tonight and tomorrow to face the Danbury Hat Tricks in a neutral site showdown. The league is looking to expand to Bloomington next year however these games only have about 50 tickets sold total. So... yeah this will be interesting. Also while I was away the league had planned to play 2 games in Athens, GA in a ball room, but the first game only about 200 people showed up so the league cancelled the second game and moved it back to Columbus.

Also, Battle Creek...zero points in 24 games. They've even scored 40 goals (compared to 161 conceded). Crazy that they haven't earned a single point.

The rumor is Battle Creek will become Bloomington next year. Everyone is saying it, the Bees are going to be a force to be reckoned with next season. They play their tails off trying to keep it close while only having 3 months to put a team together. Watch out for next season if they're still around.

Sorry for the lack of updates, its kind of hard posting from the middle of the ocean. The Birds dropped the 2 games in Bloomington to Danbury, Then swept the Mentor Ice Breakers and the Delaware Thunder the past two weekends at home. Big Mac got ejected on Friday night and will be suspended yet again, The Birds bolstered their roster for a playoff run by trading for Battle Creek Standout goalkeeper Jacob Mullen, and the biggest news of all... THE BATTLE CREEK RUMBLE BEES GOT THEIR FIRST WIN AT ELMIRA ON ELMIRA'S "GUARANTEE WIN" NIGHT

The Birds are averaging 2,945 fans a game

Sorry for the lack of updates, its kind of hard posting from the middle of the ocean. The Birds dropped the 2 games in Bloomington to Danbury, Then swept the Mentor Ice Breakers and the Delaware Thunder the past two weekends at home. Big Mac got ejected on Friday night and will be suspended yet again, The Birds bolstered their roster for a playoff run by trading for Battle Creek Standout goalkeeper Jacob Mullen, and the biggest news of all... THE BATTLE CREEK RUMBLE BEES GOT THEIR FIRST WIN AT ELMIRA ON ELMIRA'S "GUARANTEE WIN" NIGHT

While my heart's on fire for Elmira, I have to hand it to the cereal killers from Battle Creek.

Almost definitely have a better actual attendance than the Deacs BBall.

If you live in the Winston area and have not yet gone to a T-Birds game, you should give it a shot. It's inexpensive ($11 for a seat center-ice behind the benches), exciting and really a lot of fun.

Sadly, I couldn't pay my 13 y/o son to go to a Deacs B-Ball game (and why would he want to, he has never known them to be anything but cellar-dwellers), but he loves to go to hockey games on Friday nights when the Thunderbirds are in town. Unlike the Joel, the Annex is rocking and its just a blast to be there.

Last Friday's 3-2 win over Delaware, with Bachor scoring the winning goal [his first of the season] with 6 seconds left in the third, was awesome. We've gone from being casual attendees the past two seasons to bona fide T-Birds fans.

The Birds are back in action this weekend against the Mentor Ice Breakers. Tonights game is at 7:35 and tomorrows game is at 6:05. Fan favorite Frankie McClendon was just traded to Mentor this week and Jiri Pestuka is also now on Mentor. I am back on leave so I will be in attendance for tonights game.

Back