• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Uber/Lyft

How many ubers have ya rid in RJ?

As recently as about ten days ago. It doesn't change my opinion that if you have a business, you should have to follow the rules of that industry.

Cabs suck. For all the reasons that monopolies are generally terrible.

Uber/Lyft have forced taxi services to up their game, and you know, actually show up on time. Before Uber arrived it was like a 50% chance a taxi you called would actually show up in Winston. And the dispatch gave zero fucks if they ever did. And just about every cab was dirty and smelled like cigarettes and ass. And we’re suppose to feel bad for these shit stain of human beings, now that they have competition? Nope.

Cabs suck. Record companies suck. No wonder RJ defends them.

Cabs suck. For all the reasons that monopolies are generally terrible.

Uber/Lyft have forced taxi services to up their game, and you know, actually show up on time. Before Uber arrived it was like a 50% chance a taxi you called would actually show up in Winston. And the dispatch gave zero fucks if they ever did. And just about every cab was dirty and smelled like cigarettes and ass. And we’re suppose to feel bad for these shit stain of human beings, now that they have competition? Nope.

yes but they drivers are trained and fully vetted ! (lol)

There is no reason why rideshare drivers/companies shouldn't pay the same fees and taxes that traditional cab companies do. There's also no reason why rideshare drivers and companies shouldn't be regulated and licensed like the cab/limo providers they are.

Should small food processing companies be excluded from complying with health regulations?

If you have a duplex, live in one side and rent the other, should you be excluded from regulation for safety and health laws?

What regulations do you think should apply to Uber that currently don't?

Tow Truck Scouts
Taxi Drivers
Tow Truck Drivers

Bottom three occupations when it comes to decency and respectability

LOL, Brasky got towed or booted recently !

Actually no, it’s been a few years.

But back in the day I did once drunkenly almost fight one of the scout dudes when I returned to my apartment complex and I saw him creeping around. Told exact what I thought about him and his profession. Scum of the earth.

was towed once, showed up the next AM (Sunday) to get my car and they tried to tell me it was parked in and i couldnt get it out until wednesday and i'd have to pay the $175 storage fee for each day.

tow companies are scum

I'm generally sympathetic to cab drivers because the majority are immigrants trying to support a lot of people and the ones making the money were the ones who owned the medallions/cars/etc.

the medallion system and the private equity giants like Goldman Sachs getting in the game are the ones that deserve the scorn, not the drivers

that said, Uber/Lyft has done a lot to expand access to parts of towns where cabs would never go

Yeah, cabs were so great 20-30 years ago before Goldman got involved. :rolleyes:

W-S has had cabs for decades and they've always been unreliable. Same story in cities all over the country where Goldman hasn't invested a penny.

my point isn't about Goldman's specifically, but the fact that the business model has always been unfriendly to labor

American cabs are disgusting. when Uber came to DC it was a godsend. can't tell you the number of cabs I had ridden in where I questioned if the car was safe to drive. contrast that with Europe. in Amsterdam I've ridden in Teslas, S-Classes, 7 Series, etc that were all cabs. in Helsinki they kicked Uber out, but all the cabs are pretty much BMW, Mercedes or Volvo.

pre-Uber if I had an early flight out of a DC airport I'd request a cab with a credit card reader. funny how often the machine didn't work unless I said I was getting out without paying. same deal when a few years later DC mandated all cabs have credit card machines. they either "didn't work" or the driver asked you to use a Square on his phone instead.

the real problem is that in America, car is king and our public transit is shit

good public transit and you don't need these services nearly as much

What regulations do you think should apply to Uber that currently don't?

They should have to take the tests as cabbies do. They should have to be vetted the same way limo or shuttle drivers are to go to airports as well as pay the same fees.

That's a start.

They should have to take the tests as cabbies do. They should have to be vetted the same way limo or shuttle drivers are to go to airports as well as pay the same fees.

That's a start.

At Dulles and DCA, Uber and Lyft are charged $5 more than taxis for each drop-off and pickup. So they'd be happy to pay the same fees.

Back