• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Uber/Lyft

Some other world cities like Charlotte and Rome do not have a lot of grid.

We can strike "grid-like" from the record and go w/ the more common industry nomenclature of "geo-fenced"

And what about when the cars inevitably gain sentience and start running over people just for the hell of it because they finally grasp how meaningless their existence is? I mean, how can you accurately price insurance rates for that eventuality?

$5 monthly sentience surcharge.

Not the same thing you are talking about, but these self-driving, driverless networks will likely have some sort of central hub where humans can remotely take care of any problems the AI encounters. At least, that's how GM (Cruise) plans on handling it. The cars will just stop when they get confused and a remotely-based human will take over.

My concern there is... How do you keep people from hacking into those networks and taking control of the cars?

Some other world cities like Charlotte and Rome do not have a lot of grid.

Charlotte is about 100 years away from being large enough to matter for Uber/Lyft or any of the self-driving ride-sharing networks.

I think they have Uber in Rome.

Lyft is only in the US.

Not sure about grid levels in Rome, but I suspect they'll be early adopters.

There are ethics questions related to AI as well - for example if the car detects people in the crosswalk and cannot stop, do you hit the pedestrians or crash the car?

sure, but a human has the same question to answer and we know that's not a uniform response

Charlotte is about 100 years away from being large enough to matter for Uber/Lyft or any of the self-driving ride-sharing networks.

I think they have Uber in Rome.

Lyft is only in the US.

Not sure about grid levels in Rome, but I suspect they'll be early adopters.

I just told you that Rome has Charlotte-level grid.

Boston actually more like Charlotte, London, and Rome than SF.

city-street-orientations-usa-osmnx.png

city-street-orientations-world-osmnx.png

I just told you that Rome has Charlotte-level grid.

Boston actually more like Charlotte, London, and Rome than SF.

I know we're just dicking around here, but taxis/ride-sharing need dense urban areas (for high utilization) to succeed. That ain't Charlotte, grid or otherwise.

There are definitely good trends for Uber/Lyft in terms of the world's population urbanizing and younger people not getting licenses or buying cars.

The 8 cities in the US that "work" are NYC, SF, Chicago, DC, Miami, Philly, Boston, and Las Vegas... And NYC alone is as big as those other 7 together.

I've always said that Rome is the Charlotte of Italy.

You are an idiot.

If someone wants to provide a service to the public, that person should have to live up to the same standards as all others who provide the same service. Why you (and ITC) can't understand this simple concept is beyond me.

Perhaps that service was over regulated to the point that a necessary correction had to disrupt things and benefit all of us consumers?

Until CA fucks it up by overregulating it again.

Self-driving cars have a lot of potential for small towns. A small fleet could take care of in town driving needs. That would be huge for moving teenagers around and such. Short errands.

true but those rubes thing people are better at operating machines than machines are at operating machines

And what about when the cars inevitably gain sentience and start running over people just for the hell of it because they finally grasp how meaningless their existence is? I mean, how can you accurately price insurance rates for that eventuality?

I have seen the future and that's not how these vehicles behave:

71dBYZYXywL._SX425_.jpg

What about the day when a self driving car rapes a passenger. Then you’ll all wish you listened to rj.

What about the day when a self driving car rapes a passenger. Then you’ll all wish you listened to rj.

Pretty sure the poor defenseless car is more likely to be the victim. I could definitely see rj going the banana in the tailpipe route.

Back