• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Uber/Lyft

dot com

Reaction score
Been using Uber forever in major cities. Took one to a bottle share tonight and was $18 bucks to get out there, at midnight prices are $35 to get back. WTF this is Winston. Installed Lyft for the first time and it's $15.

You should price shop your rides. In my experience, they alternate being the cheapest.

Been using Uber forever in major cities. Took one to a bottle share tonight and was $18 bucks to get out there, at midnight prices are $35 to get back. WTF this is Winston. Installed Lyft for the first time and it's $15.

Used Uber for ever. Never heard of surge pricing.

Prices for both have been steadily going up... They are realizing growth is slowing and they need to price higher in order to perhaps eventually make money.

But they will not ever make a profit as long as they employ human drivers... Which is to say, they won't ever make a profit.

I think the price increases were baked into the business models. Disrupt the industry with low prices, get people hooked, then raise prices.

I know Uber is doing a lot of work with self-driving vehicles. I wouldn’t be surprised if they pilot tested a cheaper self-driving option in select cities within the next few years.

I think the price increases were baked into the business models. Disrupt the industry with low prices, get people hooked, then raise prices.

I know Uber is doing a lot of work with self-driving vehicles. I wouldn’t be surprised if they pilot tested a cheaper self-driving option in select cities within the next few years.

I could talk about this for hours.

The recent price increases are a function of a lot of things... Yes, raising prices was always part of the plan. However, the issue they are seeing is a flattening of revenue growth in NYC (and other major cities)... Sooner than they had hoped, so prices need to come up now (otherwise margins will only get worse... And they are already terrible). Also, UberPool was way more "successful" than they had expected in NYC... At much lower prices. So in order to help mix, they've raised those prices the most (and it has helped, as UberPool usage is down significantly relative to single rides).

Uber is ahead of Lyft in AV development, but neither are anywhere close. Google (Waymo) and GM (Cruise) are WAY ahead of them... In fact, Cruise should be launching their own self-driving ride-sharing in San Francisco in 2020. That has the potential to kill Uber/Lyft (in that market), given the huge cost advantages per mile. AV is really only possible in dense cities (at least in the relative near future)... But that is where like 80% of Uber/Lyft revenues come from. Nobody really knows what Waymo's strategy is longer-term, but they do have some partnerships w/ Uber.

Good God, I can't imagine being stuck in NYC traffic in an Uber Pool.

ridesharing is really slowing down my bus commute in the mornings -- downtown gets slammed

Chicago just passed a set of taxes making it the most expensive ridesharing location in the country, really targeting single rides in and out of downtown during rush hour

There is no reason why rideshare drivers/companies shouldn't pay the same fees and taxes that traditional cab companies do. There's also no reason why rideshare drivers and companies shouldn't be regulated and licensed like the cab/limo providers they are.

Should small food processing companies be excluded from complying with health regulations?

If you have a duplex, live in one side and rent the other, should you be excluded from regulation for safety and health laws?

you're not, if you rent you're subject to landlord laws.

EXACTLY!! That's what I was saying.

The same should hold true for ridesharing. You should have to licensed and follow all the rules that other cabs/shuttles/limos must abide by. Every single person who delivers passengers to an airport should have to through the same background checks that shuttle and limo drivers do.

but cabs are largely disgusting with terrible ride experiences. the ridiculous expense of obtaining the right to operate a livery service does little except insulate the people operating cabs from competition

but cabs are largely disgusting with terrible ride experiences. the ridiculous expense of obtaining the right to operate a livery service does little except insulate the people operating cabs from competition

Bullshit! If you have pleasant car and driver (as well as a huge amount of advertising), your paying those expenses should be irrelevant. In fact, being fully vetted and licensed should give those who provide a better experience a huge competitive advantage.

i've never had a licensed cab driven experience that was better than an uber or lyft but i've had plenty of the opposite

i've never had a licensed cab driven experience that was better than an uber or lyft but i've had plenty of the opposite

Then, you shouldn't be worried if they have to follow logical regulations.

Using your logic, restaurants shouldn't have to follow health regulations if you like their food.

Using your logic, elevators shouldn't have to be inspected as you haven't crashed in one.

The fact that Uber/Lyft provide better, more pleasant service would keep them as better competitors if they had to follow the same rules cabs, shuttles and limos do.

Then, you shouldn't be worried if they have to follow logical regulations.

Using your logic, restaurants shouldn't have to follow health regulations if you like their food.

Using your logic, elevators shouldn't have to be inspected as you haven't crashed in one.

The fact that Uber/Lyft provide better, more pleasant service would keep them as better competitors if they had to follow the same rules cabs, shuttles and limos do.

not really, my argument is that the requirements obtain a certification don't measurably affect the safety of the rider. rather it controls the number of cabs available.

Back