• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

Can we tack a thread to the top of the boards explaining the OB selection process with remaining schedules so that the same conversation doesn't keep happening the next few weeks? Can include that the G5 champ has to be a champion and is the top ranked team.

The Coastal champ COULD be higher ranked than Wake at the end of the season but it would likely need to be VPI who got there after winning out (including ND next week) because otherwise that team would have four losses. Since no Coastal teams are currently ranked (or even receiving votes other than Pitt) it's going to be a tall task to get into the CFP rankings and maintain that spot ahead of Wake with a loss in their finale against Clemson if Wake ends 10-2 or 9-3.

Can we tack a thread to the top of the boards explaining the OB selection process with remaining schedules so that the same conversation doesn't keep happening the next few weeks? Can include that the G5 champ has to be a champion and is the top ranked team.

The Coastal champ COULD be higher ranked than Wake at the end of the season but it would likely need to be VPI who got there after winning out (including ND next week) because otherwise that team would have four losses. Since no Coastal teams are currently ranked (or even receiving votes other than Pitt) it's going to be a tall task to get into the CFP rankings and maintain that spot ahead of Wake with a loss in their finale against Clemson if Wake ends 10-2 or 9-3.

this page says the Orange Bowl will host the "highest ranked ACC team not ranked in the top four"

is there a more detailed page that states that this will be the highest ranked team according to the AP poll, and that in the event no teams are ranked within the top 25, we'll use "Others Receiving Votes" until we hit an ACC team?

Let's just beat state, and get off Shreveports and Detroits wish list.

this page says the Orange Bowl will host the "highest ranked ACC team not ranked in the top four"

is there a more detailed page that states that this will be the highest ranked team according to the AP poll, and that in the event no teams are ranked within the top 25, we'll use "Others Receiving Votes" until we hit an ACC team?

I haven't found anything but asked on Twitter and got two direct messages from people who from my experience know what they're talking about (work for the ACC and/or ACC related entities) who said that the CFP would rank until they got to an ACC team.

I haven't found anything but asked on Twitter and got two direct messages from people who from my experience know what they're talking about (work for the ACC and/or ACC related entities) who said that the CFP would rank until they got to an ACC team.

so hypothetically, if we're sitting at 9-3 with a close loss at VT and a not-so-close loss at Clemson, we will almost certainly be unranked and will not appear in the penultimate CFP rankings

and then after the ACC championship, we'll wait for the final rankings and hope that 1) the rankings are extended beyond 25 teams and that 2) we're ahead of the Coastal champion and Louisville

Both of ESPN’s analysts have us in the OB

8722f3e35988c571497f27dab75b7df8.jpg

That sounds right. I believe that if we lost a close game to VPI we'd be 28th or so, then probably back to 35th or the end of receiving votes (sitting at 7-3). With wins against Duke and Cuse, I think we'd certainly be receiving votes at the least and possibly close enough to 25. I agree though that right now we'd probably be outside the top 25.

Big hypothetical, but what if we beat Clemson...that likely drops them out of the top 4 and probably into the orange bowl. Depending on what we did in our other games, a win at Clemson might actually hurt bowl prospects as you have to figure we wouldn’t jump them in the rankings. Again, highly unlikely scenario, but interesting to think about.

Both of ESPN’s analysts have us in the OB

8722f3e35988c571497f27dab75b7df8.jpg
I was literally just logging on to point this out.
Everyone needs to settle down, Francis with all this Sun Bowl crap.
At least for now.
I still think we lose to Clemson. We already have the loss that we should have won with Looievulle. I don't see a loss to VT... they're schizoid and fraudulent.
If, and only IF, our curse off bye weeks continues and we drop it to State next week, THEN we can panic. But, we haven't yet. So quit LOWF'in.

Last edited:
Beating Clemson:

1) Helps us if we win all the other ACC games and make the ACCCG (then win that to get automatic OB berth worst case)
2) Hurts us if we lose another ACC game and Clemson wins out, because they're likely eliminated from the playoff and then take the OB berth

This also assumes Louisville doesn't win out, which they only had a .9% chance of doing before playing UVA last week. Without the updates for this week (and Louisville barely moved up at all in the rankings), even with the UVA win the chances of Louisville winning out were would only be 2.3%

Wake is the clear cut individual favorite to finish second right now based on the standings. I don't think they're better odds than the field, but since the individual bowl projections place specific teams into each bowl it makes sense that Wake gets OB berth in most projections.

Good call. It’d be nice to see our odds as each week passes, based on statistical data

Beating Clemson:

1) Helps us if we win all the other ACC games and make the ACCCG (then win that to get automatic OB berth worst case)
2) Hurts us if we lose another ACC game and Clemson wins out, because they're likely eliminated from the playoff and then take the OB berth

This also assumes Louisville doesn't win out, which they only had a .9% chance of doing before playing UVA last week. Without the updates for this week (and Louisville barely moved up at all in the rankings), even with the UVA win the chances of Louisville winning out were would only be 2.3%

beating clemson also helps us because we FUCKING BEAT CLEMSON

(and I know you know this and were responding to the bowl situation)

Beating Clemson:

Yeah, I guess scenario 2 is what I was getting at. I guess at that point rankings wouldn’t matter to us for getting into the OB since ACC CG winner would get the auto bid.

Another hypothetical playing off of this...would people rather beat Clemson and then end up in a lower tier bowl (ie, not the OB), or lose to Clemson and get the OB berth. I think I’d pick the latter, even though it would also almost certainly drop us from possibly playing in the ACC CG.

Wake is the clear cut individual favorite to finish second right now based on the standings. I don't think they're better odds than the field, but since the individual bowl projections place specific teams into each bowl it makes sense that Wake gets OB berth in most projections.

I would agree with this - we currently have a plurality but not a majority, as it were

That's a close one. I think if we win the division but then lost the ACCCG I'd take the former, if we beat Clemson and don't even make the ACCG then probably the latter.

What does everyone think the line at Clemson is going to be? I anticipate Clemson -27.5 or so?

Back