• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

Don't sell them short Pilch, they'll have five losses after their bowl loss

Could a 10-2 ND cut in front of us into the Orange Bowl?

Seems like no from the article:

“In the ACC’s case, this happens to be the Orange Bowl who is contractually obligated to select an ACC team to play against a Big 10/SEC/Notre Dame/Independent team. It bears repeating that the Orange Bowl is contractually obligated to take an ACC team and Notre Dame cannot usurp the rest of the ACC in this process.”

Seems like no from the article:

“In the ACC’s case, this happens to be the Orange Bowl who is contractually obligated to select an ACC team to play against a Big 10/SEC/Notre Dame/Independent team. It bears repeating that the Orange Bowl is contractually obligated to take an ACC team and Notre Dame cannot usurp the rest of the ACC in this process.”

Thanks

Notre Dame cannot take the ACC's spot in the Orange Bowl. They could be an opponent for the ACC team. But once you get below the CFP and NY6 level, Notre Dame is considered part of the ACC for bowl selection. So they could take the ACC spot in any of the other bowls.

I'm sure the Orange Bowl and ESPN execs wish they could.

Though given ND's big-game performances and with our being able to play a huge underdog card, not sure it'd be a more competitive game with them versus us

They could... except they're [if I understand it correctly] eligible to be taken by any of the other NY's Six Bowls as an "Independent." And two of them select before the Orange.
Mind you, The ACC is STILL guaranteed a spot for the highest ranked member NOT in the Playoff. As has been repeatedly said here yet folks don't seem to get it.
Regardless though, ND is on a downhill slide on the season, thus most prognosticators are putting them outside the NY Six.

Are you referring to the two semi-final bowls as the "two bowls who select before the Orange?" I'm confused by your statement.

At this point, Notre Dame has little chance of making the semis, and isn't eligible for the Sugar or Rose Bowls (as those are SEC vs. Big 12 and Big Ten vs. Pac 10 matchups by contract), so the only NY6 games they could make would be the Cotton or Orange (as the ACC's opponent, not in place of the ACC team).

Are you referring to the two semi-final bowls as the "two bowls who select before the Orange?" I'm confused by your statement.

At this point, Notre Dame has little chance of making the semis, and isn't eligible for the Sugar or Rose Bowls (as those are SEC vs. Big 12 and Big Ten vs. Pac 10 matchups by contract), so the only NY6 games they could make would be the Cotton or Orange (as the ACC's opponent, not in place of the ACC team).
I was referring to the Cotton. I was mistaken, however, in thinking there was a second bowl besides the Cotton that could select ND.

Tough year for at-large teams with the Peach and Fiesta -- normally both wide open for at larges -- hosting playoff games instead.

Little weird they bunch those together in the same year. Same goes for the Sugar and Rose

Tough year for at-large teams with the Peach and Fiesta -- normally both wide open for at larges -- hosting playoff games instead.

Little weird they bunch those together in the same year. Same goes for the Sugar and Rose

Rose and Sugar were always going to go first and be paired together (otherwise they probably wouldn't have signed on....see the Sugar's outright refusal to move off the Jan. 1st prime time slot, even in years when they are not a semi-final). Orange had the ACC tie-in so they got 2nd year priority, and I guess JerryWorld muscled out the Fiesta for that 2nd slot in Year 2. That leaves Peach and Fiesta (the relative new guys on the block) for Year 3.

They all get the same amount of games though so I don't see in the huge deal in going first. Oh whale.

And let's not kid ourselves, the Rose Bowl is the reason that the crime against humanity is being committed where those games are staying on Jan. 1. If the glorious day comes where the Rose is moved, for the greater good of putting max eyeballs on the playoff semifinals every New Year's Day, I'm sure the Sugar will follow suit

They all get the same amount of games though so I don't see in the huge deal in going first. Oh whale.

And let's not kid ourselves, the Rose Bowl is the reason that the crime against humanity is being committed where those games are staying on Jan. 1. If the glorious day comes where the Rose is moved, for the greater good of putting max eyeballs on the playoff semifinals every New Year's Day, I'm sure the Sugar will follow suit

Give me the days when they used to play all of the major Bowl games on New's Year Day. The Cotton was early afternoon, then Rose Bowl late afternoon and the Sugar and Orange in prime time.

I hate it when the playoff games are on New Year's Eve.

Is there any chance the ACC plays the non-Power 5 spot? I would be somewhat annoyed to play App
Vs a big time team but would get over it and enjoy wiping the floor with them.

A Wake-App Orange Bowl would be hilarious but I can't see that happening. Would probably have terrible ratings and can't imagine it would fill a stadium.

it may not fill a stadium but the moonshine and horse feed concessions would kill it with that many app rednecks coming down off the mountain

at least from a fan color crowdshot perspective a Wake-App OB would be ok

App is not going to the orange bowl. The ACC team has to play an SEC or B1G team or Notre Dame. No at large big for a G5 team there.

Yeah G5 is likely going to the Cotton

G5 winner HAS to go to the Cotton, unless the BCS and all 5 conferences just decide to break their own selection rules/bowl contracts this year to send that rep elsewhere. No reason to do that other than money....so I guess I'm saying there is always a chance.....

App is not going to the orange bowl. The ACC team has to play an SEC or B1G team or Notre Dame. No at large big for a G5 team there.

The Orange Bowl selection is supposed to be an ACC team vs. SEC, Big Ten, or Notre Dame. But don't underestimate the ability of the bowls and conferences and ESPN to get the match-ups that they want.

But I don't see the Orange Bowl wanting App vs. Wake.

Back