• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

I really don't get the appeal of the Pinstripe Bowl. I do remember that perennial power Wisconsin got its 8th win ofthe season there last year.

I'll be close to NYC during the Holidays already, so it's mostly selfish convenience for me. Give me any of the Florida bowls first, though.

I really don't get the appeal of the Pinstripe Bowl. I do remember that perennial power Wisconsin got its 8th win ofthe season there last year.

Weird hate to throw on Wisconsin. Not sure what your issue is with the Badgers. They constantly over-perform their recruiting rankings, are disciplined, run a clean program and give hope to college football fans of teams who don't recruit all five star players. Should be a good thing.

Weird hate to throw on Wisconsin. Not sure what your issue is with the Badgers. They constantly over-perform their recruiting rankings, are disciplined, run a clean program and give hope to college football fans of teams who don't recruit all five star players. Should be a good thing.

Just responding to Ph and Shoo. I don't hate Wisconsin, or really care about them one way or the other, but I do think they were overrated this year based on the beatdown they put on Michigan. I applaud them for going out of conference to schedule a couple of future losses against Alabama.

I see your point but Wake has not proven to be a year in year out legit team....yet.
Why not let the fans have some fun, wish and dream a bit about a truely fun time in wake forest football history. Yes, if they keep going to bowls this talk will slowly go away but don't be such a stick in the mud. Enjoy the talk or don't open the thread.

I don't disagree with your points. It is fun to enjoy our moments as a Wake Forest fans because historically there are few of them. But you also rightly point out that we're not "legit" yet. There's a cure for that. Somebody said in response "Dude, we're guaranteed a bowl". And my response to that is "who cares" if 6 wins in a 12 game season "guarantees" us a bowl. It's past being an accomplishment and certainly doesn't make us "legit". We lost by 3 to crappy LOuisville and dropped out of the polls. We beat a crappy FSU by 2 and snuck back in. Nothing we've done this season makes us "legit" so far. The Belk Bowl win over Texas A & M was a legit "moment" of accomplishment. But beating the likes of Temple or Memphis or many others in a second rate bowl means absolutely nothing. We've been there, and done that now. It's time for our fans to celebrate some higher aspirations than that. That's what our team should do if they actually want to improve. I've said all fall that I felt 8 wins would be a major accomplishment this season, and I still believe that. Would 8 or more wins translate into a more prestigious bowl against better competition? That's what I hope for, so I'm not gonna celebrate 6 wins and a guaranteed spot in the Beef O'Brady's bowl. et al...it's bullshit after what we've done over the past 3 years . Go Deacs!

The Pinstripe is convenient if you're staying in manhattan. Subway stop is at the corner. The new Yankee stadium is a museum with a playing field in the middle of it. NYC. The city with everything.......and every thing else.

Fusion you seem to be the only one contemplating The Beef O Brady's Bowl under your speculation that we'll lose out. 9 wins at this point regular season should be our minimum expectation

I've said all fall that I felt 8 wins would be a major accomplishment this season, and I still believe that. Would 8 or more wins translate into a more prestigious bowl against better competition? That's what I hope for, so I'm not gonna celebrate 6 wins and a guaranteed spot in the Beef O'Brady's bowl. et al...it's bullshit after what we've done over the past 3 years . Go Deacs!

Wait...so you DO or DO NOT think we should be speculating about where we'd play if we win 8+ games? So confused...

I don't disagree with your points. It is fun to enjoy our moments as a Wake Forest fans because historically there are few of them. But you also rightly point out that we're not "legit" yet. There's a cure for that. Somebody said in response "Dude, we're guaranteed a bowl". And my response to that is "who cares" if 6 wins in a 12 game season "guarantees" us a bowl. It's past being an accomplishment and certainly doesn't make us "legit". We lost by 3 to crappy LOuisville and dropped out of the polls. We beat a crappy FSU by 2 and snuck back in. Nothing we've done this season makes us "legit" so far. The Belk Bowl win over Texas A & M was a legit "moment" of accomplishment. But beating the likes of Temple or Memphis or many others in a second rate bowl means absolutely nothing. We've been there, and done that now. It's time for our fans to celebrate some higher aspirations than that. That's what our team should do if they actually want to improve. I've said all fall that I felt 8 wins would be a major accomplishment this season, and I still believe that. Would 8 or more wins translate into a more prestigious bowl against better competition? That's what I hope for, so I'm not gonna celebrate 6 wins and a guaranteed spot in the Beef O'Brady's bowl. et al...it's bullshit after what we've done over the past 3 years . Go Deacs!

giphy.gif

We're guaranteed a bowl. This thread is to speculate about what bowl that may be. Most of us think the Orange Bowl is well within reach. Nothing we say will affect the actual outcome of our season moving forward. It's fun to speculate/discuss. That's what fans do.

I think Fusion is saying we should only be happy when we have 8 wins not when we have 6 wins even if it’s when we are 6-1. I assume he’ll still complain if we have close wins against State and VT.

Well that's idiotic. People are happy we got to 6 wins for the 4th year in a row. No one will be remotely happy with the season if we end up with 6 wins.

Don't be happy and don't speculate on bowl bids until we reach 8 wins.
Got it.
I'll be back in 3 weeks or so. No point in coming here until then.

I realize that it feels good to be talking about bowl prospects. And it makes sense to suppose about the future if your planning to go to a bowl where we play. But seriously, what's the point of this thread. We have 5 games to play all of which we "could" lose. A key injury here or there would sink our season completely. There are a lot of bowls, that's true. But a 6-6 Wake Forest is surely not guaranteed a spot, especially if we did lose the last 5. I don't know how many ACC teams will finish with 6 wins, but I think the only one who likely can't is Ga Tech. I'm not trying to be mean, but this type of thread is what you NEVER see on boards of teams that are legit. They don't go patting themselves on the back over 6 wins. Their aspirations are higher, and they also don't take excellence for granted. We're not in position to miss on either of those points as a team. And if our fans don't understand that, then it's to our detriment. Just find a way to win over State, and don't suffer any key injuries. Then move on to the next game. Worry about the bowl scenario in 7 weeks. If we make it, congrats to us!
This is the kind of guy who could ruin a wet dream.

Wasn't that the previous name sponsor of the Camping World Bowl?

I think it was Champs Sports.

edit: it was both! here are the names:

Sponsors
Blockbuster (1990–1993)
Carquest (1994–1997)
MicronPC (1998–2000)
Florida Tourism (2001)
Mazda (2002–2003)
Champs Sports (2004–2011)
Russell Athletic (2012–2016)
Camping World (2017–present)

but this type of thread is what you NEVER see on boards of teams that are legit.

Oh, and actually...

You Do.
Like all the damn time. Every team in the FBS that crosses the six win threshold begins to speculate and project themselves.
This may well be your stupidest statement to date.

A 6-6 Wake team is still guaranteed a bowl. There aren’t going to be close to enough ACC bowl eligible teams and an ACC team wouldn’t be left out even if there were.

El Paso would be cool if we got to play USC. A win of a big name program always looks good. Otherwise I am all about the Music City Bowl, nothing better than Honky Tonking all day and then crossing the bridge to Nissan Stadium (that is if Orange Bowl doesn't happen).

yes

If we go 3-2 (losing to Clemson and VT), and UVA goes 3-2 (losing to UNC and Louisville) then who ends up with the higher ranking?

Probably UVA, because I'm assuming they get input from the bowls.... and UVA has a larger alumni base

The CFP ranking committee definitely does not get input from the bowls on where they're ranking the top 25.

Virginia Tech sucks. We should kick the shit out of them. But we probably won't, we'll outplay them and they'll be in the game with 5 minutes left and we'll run shitty draw plays right into their waiting defense, turning the ball back over and giving them a chance to win. It's gonna come back to bite us in one of these next few games...

Back