• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

How do we end up in Nashville or Charlotte? I'm assuming we will get effed by the higher tier bowl selection process.

Clemson goes to the CFP, then the Coastal winner (ACC Championship loser) goes to the Orange Bowl, Notre Dame to Camping World, the Belk/Music City/Sun/Pinstripe divide up the other ACC teams. My guess is UVa to Orange, VT to Belk, Louisville to Music City, Wake to Sun, Pitt to Pinstripe.

Clemson goes to the CFP, then the Coastal winner (ACC Championship loser) goes to the Orange Bowl, Notre Dame to Camping World, the Belk/Music City/Sun/Pinstripe divide up the other ACC teams. My guess is UVa to Orange, VT to Belk, Louisville to Music City, Wake to Sun, Pitt to Pinstripe.

That's a good prediction.

If we finish 9-3, no way are we going to get placed below tier one, and unlikely at 8-4.

Got to factor in UNC if they beat Mercer and State

Got to factor in UNC if they beat Mercer and State

They would be in the lower tier, which I didn't really bother with. But it would Military or Independence for them. I'm sure the Military would love to have them.

Last edited:
Got my bowl game ticket reservation mailer yesterday. Listed 12 possibilities asking for commitment to impress bowl decision makers. Wouldn't it have made sense to put the dates for planning purposes?

Got my bowl game ticket reservation mailer yesterday. Listed 12 possibilities asking for commitment to impress bowl decision makers. Wouldn't it have made sense to put the dates for planning purposes?

They don't care if you actually attend. They just want you to buy tickets.

If we finish 9-3, no way are we going to get placed below tier one, and unlikely at 8-4.

I don't think we're a lock for a tier 1 game at 8-4. If Louisville wins out (vs Syracuse, @ Kentucky) and Notre Dame takes the Camping World Bowl, we're probably the odd team out. I think Miami wins out (away games against Florida International and Duke) to gets to 8 wins and takes a tier 1 bowl.

This omits Miami.

My best prediction right now is:

Virginia - Orange
VPI - Belk
Miami - Sun
Wake - Pinstripe
Pitt - Music City

I don’t believe Louisville can jump Wake for a tier 1 bowl if they have 7 wins to Wake’s 9 so let’s go Kentucky. The Belk wants VPI badly so if they don’t go to the Orange they should be in Charlotte. The sun bowl cares way more about tv than they do attendance and Miami is a solid national draw.

Wake hasn’t played in the Pinstripe so I’d put that ahead of the Music City. I don’t see tier one bowls skipping Wake totally if we get to 9-3.

Miami still has a decent OB chance if Pitt beats VPI and VPI beats UVA IMO.

Also in case this isn’t clear, there is no selection list amongst the tier 1 bowls - the bowls work with schools and the ACC to set all the selections.

I’m also hopeful but not confident that folks pay attention to the context of Wake’s schedule. The Coastal champ will play Clemson but nobody else listed above for tier one bowls will which makes Wake’s hypothetical 9-3 more attractive.

I’m also hopeful but not confident that folks pay attention to the context of Wake’s schedule. The Coastal champ will play Clemson but nobody else listed above for tier one bowls will which makes Wake’s hypothetical 9-3 more attractive.

according to the Sagarin rankings, every team in the Coastal except for VT, plus FSU and UL, have played a tougher schedule than WF - they can all match our biggest OOC win which was over UNC

VT and UVA played ND (and then nobody OOC)
Pitt played PSU and UCF
Miami played UF

those teams aren't Clemson but they are at least in the neighborhood (UCF is a few streets over)

Give me Music City, Pinstripe, or Belk or give me death.

This week
Pitt beats VT (Pitt 8-3, VT 7-4)
UVA beats Lib (UVA 8-3)
Wake beats Duke (wake 8-3)

Next week
BC beats Pitt (Pitt 8-4)
VT beats UVA (Both 8-4)
Wake beats Cuse (9-3)

If that happens, the Clemson/ACCCG loser would be 8-5, and no team would be ranked I don't think. Is OB a possibility under that scenario?

Give me Music City, Pinstripe, or Belk or give me death.

Given this will be the fourth straight bowl appearance, I think the Pinstripe would be an attendance disaster. Sure people would love to visit NYC and see Wake play in Yankee Stadium. But given the cost and logistics around the holidays and the lack of bowl appearance novelty, I don't think Wake would travel well to that one.

This week
Pitt beats VT (Pitt 8-3, VT 7-4)
UVA beats Lib (UVA 8-3)
Wake beats Duke (wake 8-3)

Next week
BC beats Pitt (Pitt 8-4)
VT beats UVA (Both 8-4)
Wake beats Cuse (9-3)

If that happens, the Clemson/ACCCG loser would be 8-5, and no team would be ranked I don't think. Is OB a possibility under that scenario?

if that all happened, VT would play in the ACCCG so the OB would choose from among 8-5 VT, 8-4 UVA, 8-4 Pitt, probable 8-4 Miami, possible 8-4 UL, 9-3 WF

is WF a possibility? sure

I would not bet on the OB selecting WF

Starting to think that VT is going to beat UVA again. Looks like the Hokies have their mojo back.

Yeah Wake’s major issue now is that I don’t think they’re gonna be ranked even winning out at 9-3. Miami could be ranked at 8-4 with five straight wins and if nobody is ranked I think the OB either takes Miami for national profile or defaults to the Coastal champ

Yeah, I think any chance of being ranked at the end of the season went out the window with 52-3. Even if we have the best record I think the committee will be content to leave us unranked and let the Orange Bowl sort it out rather than forcing them to take a questionable team at #25.

On the other hand, take a look at the rankings tonight and see who we might jump in the last couple of weeks if a loss or two knocks them out ofthe Top 25 while we blowout Duke and Syracuse to post a gaudy 9-3 record with electrifying freshman Donavon Greene lighting a fire on this Wake offense. The bubble is weak.

Given this will be the fourth straight bowl appearance, I think the Pinstripe would be an attendance disaster. Sure people would love to visit NYC and see Wake play in Yankee Stadium. But given the cost and logistics around the holidays and the lack of bowl appearance novelty, I don't think Wake would travel well to that one.

Is how well a school travels to bowl games that important these days? It seems like that has less and less of an impact. The games are all about the matchups for TV and ratings and advertising,

Back