• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

Virginia Tech sucks. We should kick the shit out of them. But we probably won't, we'll outplay them and they'll be in the game with 5 minutes left and we'll run shitty draw plays right into their waiting defense, turning the ball back over and giving them a chance to win. It's gonna come back to bite us in one of these next few games...

While I agree we're a much better team, this game worries me. Bud Foster is retiring at the end of the season and our game is Bud Foster Day/Night. Their defense will be sky high and, I suspect, very aggressive - meaning they won't always play within the rules.

As someone who's not attending a Bowl game this year (can't justify it after buying a house, wife not caring, etc) unless it played at Groves, I think the Sun Bowl would be dope. Especially if it was against a USC or Washington. CBS New Years Eve day game with that sweet mountain range in the backdrop, and the occasional Texas snow storm. I'm down.

I lived through the Chuck Mills ("Go and Throw Up" Offense) and Tom Harper Eras, so all I can say is that Wake fans need to appreciate just how special Dave Clawson is. He is literally the most successful football coach in Wake history. Four bowls in a row is truly amazing, given our history.

And let me add: An Orange Bowl match against Notre Dame would be the best of all possibilities. DON'T want any matches with an LSU or Georgia or other SEC near-champs. We just don't have that kind of talent in depth. Belk Bowl would be disappointing to some, but it's a great location for Wake and most likely offers the best even match talent-wise.

Georgia frankly isn't looking all that great right now.

I lived through the Chuck Mills ("Go and Throw Up" Offense) and Tom Harper Eras, so all I can say is that Wake fans need to appreciate just how special Dave Clawson is. He is literally the most successful football coach in Wake history. Four bowls in a row is truly amazing, given our history.

And let me add: An Orange Bowl match against Notre Dame would be the best of all possibilities. DON'T want any matches with an LSU or Georgia or other SEC near-champs. We just don't have that kind of talent in depth. Belk Bowl would be disappointing to some, but it's a great location for Wake and most likely offers the best even match talent-wise.

I don’t know how much better/worse ND is than last year, but they did beat us by 29 in Winston. Not sure that’s a good matchup for us.

I'm holding out hope for some kind of Florida bowl. The wife is leaving me behind with the kids for a week in November for a conference, so to return the favor I told her I'd be ditching her at some point in December to go to Wake's bowl. Gonna be pissed if it's Nashville or fucking El Paso.

We play ND in Charlotte in 11 months. I want a big time program we never play so we can have a statement game that can elevate the program long term like Boise State beating Oklahoma, Utah beating Alabama, or UCF beating Auburn.

We play ND in Charlotte in 11 months. I want a big time program we never play so we can have a statement game that can elevate the program long term like Boise State beating Oklahoma, Utah beating Alabama, or UCF beating Auburn.

Yeah. While I would love to be back in the Orange Bowl, I don't want to play a team that we play somewhat regularly. And I don't want to go back to the Belk Bowl since we were just there.

Then we need to get significantly lower admission standards and hope that ND is a top 5 team.

Wake should continue to be on the cusp of bowl eligibility as long as it runs a high octane offense. But that really isn’t difficult in today’s college football world, especially with scholarship limitations. But we will never have the personnel to line up and beat the big boys. Best we can hope for is an upset every decade.

Then we need to get significantly lower admission standards and hope that ND is a top 5 team.

Wake should continue to be on the cusp of bowl eligibility as long as it runs a high octane offense. But that really isn’t difficult in today’s college football world, especially with scholarship limitations. But we will never have the personnel to line up and beat the big boys. Best we can hope for is an upset every decade.

tenor.gif

I don’t know how much better/worse ND is than last year, but they did beat us by 29 in Winston. Not sure that’s a good matchup for us.

I don’t want to play ND either since we play them next year but of the “big name” matchups that have been discussed they’re probably the worst this year. That’s an under two touchdown spread for sure. Whereas a Georgia is like 20+

playing Georgia would be funny because their fans would be so pissed to get stuck with Wake when they had much higher sights

Define "big boy." It's not like we play many all that often, though it's an ever shifting thing who is one. I mean FSU won a title six years ago yet we just beat them in a game that wasn't really an upset.

Seems an odd post in a year where we have a very good shot at at least nine wins

I agree.

Define "big boy." It's not like we play many all that often, though it's an ever shifting thing who is one. I mean FSU won a title six years ago yet we just beat them in a game that wasn't really an upset.

Seems an odd post in a year where we have a very good shot at at least nine wins

9 wins meant a lot more when teams played 11 games. It means less now, as does bowl eligibility in an era of unlimited bowls obviously.

FSU isn’t a big boy at the moment. Hasn’t been in a while. Right now the only big boy in the conference is Clemson, so that is our only game to make potential waves. Big boy schools are the ones who consistently recruit in the top ten and play to that level. They get upset occasionally.

Ph mentions Utah, UCF, and Boise state as schools who have managed to build off big wins. Utah is the only P5 school in the bunch, becoming one in no small part due to the Alabama win. They also are hardly a powerhouse and have lost at least 5 games 5 of their 8 years in the PAC 12. UCF went winless a few years after going unbeaten and winning the fiesta bowl, but they seem to have carved out a niche of recruiting 3 star Florida castoffs into a huge non P5 school. BSU has had prolonged success which predates the fiesta bowl win over OU, and they’ve managed to ride that train again in a non P5 conference.

Wake is a school that focuses on academics, can’t fill its puny stadium even when good, and plays against P5 competition that recruits at a higher level than what BSU and UCF have to face. Even if we were to destroy Clemson this year, there would be no program momentum from that and nowhere to go but down. At this point, we can expect bowl games to happen more often than not because it only requires winning 3 non conference games and 3 conference games in a shitty conference. In many years, we will be 2-1 in non conference play, but 4 conference wins is very doable depending on the schedule.

I’m happy we are going bowling again, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We are a top 40 team with the ability to play like a top 20 team. Most years we will be a top 50-60 team, sometimes we will be horrific, and once in a blue moon we may find ourselves actually finishing in the 15-20 range. We can be a good program more often than not, but 10 win seasons will never become the norm unless we start playing 18 game schedules with Elon, HPU, and Davidson.

That's a more reasoned take than originally where you made it sound like being a fringe bowl team every year was unavoidable. I would say we fit in with the vast majority of P5 teams in regards to being able to expect an upset of what you classify as a "big boy" (sounds like a top 5-10 team) once a decade.

And I don't really see how blowing out Clemson wouldn't do huge things for the program. Undoubtedly our recruiting and fan support would grow substantially. Fan support grew after the OB for sure, and Clawson (if he stays) would be better positioned to move our recruiting forward than Grobe was, who was almost solely focused on finding diamonds in the rough.

Making the Orange Bowl or dare say it the CFP would also be a huge revenue boost, as well

I want to beat Georgia in the Orange Bowl.
They have stayed clear of us since we beat them between the hedges in 1979.
Time for a forced rematch.
I live in Georgia now and they are the local equivalent of UNC.
I have lots of friends that went to UGA, and to beat them in a major bowl would give me discussion topics until I die.

Back