• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

We need a lot more help than we previously did. The good news is that VPI still plays Pitt and UVA where the loser of those games is basically eliminated. So if we go loss, win, win and get the following results I think we have an excellent shot at the Orange Bowl still:

UNC > Pitt
Pitt > VPI
VPI > UVA

An additional threat now that Louisville is eliminated is Miami coming on strong. They have FIU and Duke left to end the season on a five game winning streak at 8-4 where they don't have a great chance to win the Coastal based on tiebreakers. So they could sneak into the top 25 CFP rankings in second for the ACC. They've also been consistently the second best team in the ACC this season based on metrics.

The ACC will only have Clemson ranked this week in the CFP

The odds of us beating both Duke and Syracuse plus your 3 other games combined work out to what? 4% maybe? And to your point if that all happens Miami is a threat

I don’t know who they is but yeah if they’re the second highest rated ACC team then they go.

Without adjusting for yesterday’s results the odds from last week of the above happening is under 3 percent Tiger.

Virginia probably deserves it. They haven't completely convinced but all their losses are forgivable. Get the sense they'll cream VT to end their agony against them and cement their place

Yeah I think UVA has a slightly better shot than Wake especially since they would end the season on a decent win streak before losing to Clemson.

If we win nine games and all we get is the frigging Belk Bowl that is some straight BS.

I spent some time today coming up with bowl scenarios/projections if Wake finishes 9-3.

First, some assumptions are needed to simplify things. I assumed:
1) Wake finishes 9-3
2) Clemson wins the ACC and goes to the CFP
3) Notre Dame gets into the New Year’s Six
4) The ACC doesn’t send a team to the Citrus Bowl

Orange Bowl (Miami, FL) - Most likely Wake or the ACC Coastal winner (either the UVA-VT winner or Pitt), whichever is ranked higher. Wake would be 9-3. The ACC Coastal winner would presumably be 9-4 (coming off the loss to Clemson). It’s unlikely that a team gets to 9-3 without winning the Coastal, although Pitt could be in that situation if they win out and UVA beats VT.

Camping World Bowl (Orlando, FL) – After the ACC teams have been assigned to the NY6 and CFP, it appears that this bowl can choose any team that it wants without restriction. It could choose whichever 9 win team didn’t make the Orange Bowl (Wake or the ACC Coastal winner) or it could choose an 8 win team from a group that could include Miami, the UVA-VT loser, Pitt or Louisville. Probably the most difficult bowl to project.

Belk Bowl (Charlotte, NC)
– Virginia Tech makes the most sense here, and Joe Giglio has already reported that VT is a “priority” for the Belk Bowl organizers. If VT goes to the Orange Bowl or the Camping World Bowl, then Wake Forest would make sense if they are available (despite having played here in 2017).

Pinstripe Bowl (New York, NY) – Pitt makes sense if available (because of proximity). If not then perhaps UVA.

Music City Bowl (Nashville, TN) – Louisville makes sense (based on proximity).

Sun Bowl (El Paso, TX) – Miami, UVA or Wake (depending on who doesn’t get chosen for the bowls listed above).

I spent some time today coming up with bowl scenarios/projections if Wake finishes 9-3.

First, some assumptions are needed to simplify things. I assumed:
1) Wake finishes 9-3
2) Clemson wins the ACC and goes to the CFP
3) Notre Dame gets into the New Year’s Six
4) The ACC doesn’t send a team to the Citrus Bowl

Orange Bowl (Miami, FL) - Most likely Wake or the ACC Coastal winner (either the UVA-VT winner or Pitt), whichever is ranked higher. Wake would be 9-3. The ACC Coastal winner would presumably be 9-4 (coming off the loss to Clemson). It’s unlikely that a team gets to 9-3 without winning the Coastal, although Pitt could be in that situation if they win out and UVA beats VT.

Camping World Bowl (Orlando, FL) – After the ACC teams have been assigned to the NY6 and CFP, it appears that this bowl can choose any team that it wants without restriction. It could choose whichever 9 win team didn’t make the Orange Bowl (Wake or the ACC Coastal winner) or it could choose an 8 win team from a group that could include Miami, the UVA-VT loser, Pitt or Louisville. Probably the most difficult bowl to project.

Belk Bowl (Charlotte, NC)
– Virginia Tech makes the most sense here, and Joe Giglio has already reported that VT is a “priority” for the Belk Bowl organizers. If VT goes to the Orange Bowl or the Camping World Bowl, then Wake Forest would make sense if they are available (despite having played here in 2017).

Pinstripe Bowl (New York, NY) – Pitt makes sense if available (because of proximity). If not then perhaps UVA.

Music City Bowl (Nashville, TN) – Louisville makes sense (based on proximity).

Sun Bowl (El Paso, TX) – Miami, UVA or Wake (depending on who doesn’t get chosen for the bowls listed above).
Awesome thanks for doing that. What's your take on how recruiting this year compares to previous years?

I can't see how Notre Dame will get the NY6. There's only two at-large spots open this year -- one Cotton Bowl spot and the OB opponent -- so they would need to be one of the two highest-ranked at-large teams. They are currently 15th in the CFP rankings.

They seem like a lock for the Camping World

okay so let me see if I understand this. Let's say we finish 9-3. That means we can be jumped by an 8-4 team, but not a 7-5 team, right? Does that two game rule even matter now that the bowls are selecting in tiers? We could be in the same tier with a 7-5 or 6-6 team, since they wouldn't be jumping us, right?

image_handler.aspx

Since the Sun Bowl and Pinstripe Bowl are both Tier 1 I'm just assuming we're going to one of those.

*Sees Gasparilla Bowl*

Hmmm... bowl game in Florida would be cool.

*Sees that it's played at the Trop*

Balls.

okay so let me see if I understand this. Let's say we finish 9-3. That means we can be jumped by an 8-4 team, but not a 7-5 team, right? Does that two game rule even matter now that the bowls are selecting in tiers? We could be in the same tier with a 7-5 or 6-6 team, since they wouldn't be jumping us, right?

image_handler.aspx

Since the Sun Bowl and Pinstripe Bowl are both Tier 1 I'm just assuming we're going to one of those.

It’s the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl. Gonna be Grrrrrrreat!

Is that new for this year? I remember all those early December turd games being played in front of six people inside a glorified auditorium...

This is the second year. Several projections had us in it. It was the likely slot until the last minute.

Early projections today are Pinstripe vs Indiana or Illinois (ESPN and CBS), Belk vs Missouri (ESPN), Sun vs Arizona St (Sporting News), Camping World vs Baylor (247). I'd like Mizzou in Charlotte.

The odds of us beating both Duke and Syracuse plus your 3 other games combined work out to what? 4% maybe? And to your point if that all happens Miami is a threat

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeforest22890 View Post

We need a lot more help than we previously did. The good news is that VPI still plays Pitt and UVA where the loser of those games is basically eliminated. So if we go loss, win, win and get the following results I think we have an excellent shot at the Orange Bowl still:

UNC > Pitt
Pitt > VPI
VPI > UVA

An additional threat now that Louisville is eliminated is Miami coming on strong. They have FIU and Duke left to end the season on a five game winning streak at 8-4 where they don't have a great chance to win the Coastal based on tiebreakers. So they could sneak into the top 25 CFP rankings in second for the ACC. They've also been consistently the second best team in the ACC this season based on metrics.

The ACC will only have Clemson ranked this week in the CFP.

I will grant that a lot of that could be true. And if so I think the Orange Bowl will take Notre Dame in place of any un-CFP ranked ACC team. Don't know what their exact rules are but we everybody has 3 losses and the absolute best a Coastal team could have is 4 losses once their champion loses to Clemson. W could be 9-3 if we beat Duke & Syracuse but are severely damaged after two blowout losses to VT & Clemson so is there a way we get back up into the CFP Top 25? Hard to see that. VT entered AP at #25 today. Lose at Pitt & gone. Gonna be tough guys to get anybody into the OB from the ACC unless they just have to take an ACC team. In that case let's get us to 9-3 and hope for the best!

Well they have to take an ACC team. Hope you can somehow get the time it took you to type all that back.

Back