• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

Really wish the glut of corporate sponsorships for bowls - which was obviously an inevitability - didn’t completely eradicate the original name of some of the bowls. Because if the corporate sponsor changes every five years you’re left trying to trace back what the original bowl was, as in this thread. You don’t always know if you’re in a good bowl or not unless you do some research.

Also some are still corporate sponsor + bowl name (Allstate Sugar Bowl), while others are just corporate sponsor. Why the irregularity? I’m sure money talks, but Camping World got their way while Allstate didn’t?

Even the newer bowls like Belk, which was Meineke and maybe Carquest?, should have also added “Charlotte” at the beginning, to provide the consistency across sponsors.

Interestingly the Peach Bowl went the opposite direction. Became just Chick-fil-A Bowl then went back to adding Peach to the name after CFA.

Just a mess.

/rant

Camping World has always been corporate. It started as the Blockbuster Bowl then Carquest and some others until now.

I'd like a Bowl game against a team with a championship history that is struggling this season. USC or Washington in El Paso. Texas or OK St in the Camping World Bowl. Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan St in the Bronx. A revenge game win against the "Cow Bells" would sweet.

Really wish the glut of corporate sponsorships for bowls - which was obviously an inevitability - didn’t completely eradicate the original name of some of the bowls. Because if the corporate sponsor changes every five years you’re left trying to trace back what the original bowl was, as in this thread. You don’t always know if you’re in a good bowl or not unless you do some research.

Also some are still corporate sponsor + bowl name (Allstate Sugar Bowl), while others are just corporate sponsor. Why the irregularity? I’m sure money talks, but Camping World got their way while Allstate didn’t?

Even the newer bowls like Belk, which was Meineke and maybe Carquest?, should have also added “Charlotte” at the beginning, to provide the consistency across sponsors.

Interestingly the Peach Bowl went the opposite direction. Became just Chick-fil-A Bowl then went back to adding Peach to the name after CFA.

Just a mess.

/rant

Bowls that are part of the semi-final rotation in the College FB Playoff were required to add the original bowl name back when the CFP started (so, the Chick-Fil-A Bowl was required to go back to the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl name). Same with the Allstate Sugar Bowl.

Trust me, Chick-Fil-A would not have added the "Peach" part back to the bowl name if they weren't forced to do so.

Yeah. What ever happen classic bowls like the Poulan-Weed Eater Bowl?

And want a game it was. Great win for the Deacs.

No such bowl existed. It was the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl.

39-35, a classic.

Was just thinking, why is there not a Nike, Adidas, etc. bowl? Then realized it would be a nightmare for said companies to do this since it wouldn't be a good look, for example, for a bowl-eligible team already contracted with Adidas to play in the Nike bowl and vice versa.

On another unrelated note, I'm sure the NFL would sue if NCAA ever tried a ____ Super Bowl, right?

There was a Russell Athletic bowl.

I realize that it feels good to be talking about bowl prospects. And it makes sense to suppose about the future if your planning to go to a bowl where we play. But seriously, what's the point of this thread. We have 5 games to play all of which we "could" lose. A key injury here or there would sink our season completely. There are a lot of bowls, that's true. But a 6-6 Wake Forest is surely not guaranteed a spot, especially if we did lose the last 5. I don't know how many ACC teams will finish with 6 wins, but I think the only one who likely can't is Ga Tech. I'm not trying to be mean, but this type of thread is what you NEVER see on boards of teams that are legit. They don't go patting themselves on the back over 6 wins. Their aspirations are higher, and they also don't take excellence for granted. We're not in position to miss on either of those points as a team. And if our fans don't understand that, then it's to our detriment. Just find a way to win over State, and don't suffer any key injuries. Then move on to the next game. Worry about the bowl scenario in 7 weeks. If we make it, congrats to us!

Dude, we're guaranteed a spot and this thread is to have a continuous discussion about where that spot may be.

I realize that it feels good to be talking about bowl prospects. And it makes sense to suppose about the future if your planning to go to a bowl where we play. But seriously, what's the point of this thread. We have 5 games to play all of which we "could" lose. A key injury here or there would sink our season completely. There are a lot of bowls, that's true. But a 6-6 Wake Forest is surely not guaranteed a spot, especially if we did lose the last 5. I don't know how many ACC teams will finish with 6 wins, but I think the only one who likely can't is Ga Tech. I'm not trying to be mean, but this type of thread is what you NEVER see on boards of teams that are legit. They don't go patting themselves on the back over 6 wins. Their aspirations are higher, and they also don't take excellence for granted. We're not in position to miss on either of those points as a team. And if our fans don't understand that, then it's to our detriment. Just find a way to win over State, and don't suffer any key injuries. Then move on to the next game. Worry about the bowl scenario in 7 weeks. If we make it, congrats to us!

Lol. Keep being you.

I see your point but Wake has not proven to be a year in year out legit team....yet.
Why not let the fans have some fun, wish and dream a bit about a truely fun time in wake forest football history. Yes, if they keep going to bowls this talk will slowly go away but don't be such a stick in the mud. Enjoy the talk or don't open the thread.

Do you remember when we became Bowl eligible with leaves still on the trees? Let's embrace the dreaming. BEAT THE PACK!

Odds wake loses out at this point is probably less than 5%. Odds that all eight ACC teams that are four and three or three and four get to bowl eligibility probably less than 1%. Fusion is already crafting his sternly worded i-told-you-so Post in the case this happens

I realize that it feels good to be talking about bowl prospects. And it makes sense to suppose about the future if your planning to go to a bowl where we play. But seriously, what's the point of this thread.

What's the point of college football? Wake Forest? Life?

I always love the "we, the fans who do not play the game, should not be looking ahead !" posts

I really don't get the appeal of the Pinstripe Bowl. I do remember that perennial power Wisconsin got its 8th win ofthe season there last year.

Back