• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

I want to beat Georgia in the Orange Bowl.
They have stayed clear of us since we beat them between the hedges in 1979.
Time for a forced rematch.
I live in Georgia now and they are the local equivalent of UNC.
I have lots of friends that went to UGA, and to beat them in a major bowl would give me discussion topics until I die.

And if you bring the win up with them, your end might come sooner then you expect.

And if you bring the win up with them, your end might come sooner then you expect.

As mentioned about a week ago on one of these threads, I’ve already used a football example to explain the ‘transitive property’ to UGA folks and I’m still here.
Wake beat UNC who beat USC who beat UGA. Therefore, Wake > UGA.

Then we need to get significantly lower admission standards and hope that ND is a top 5 team.

Wake should continue to be on the cusp of bowl eligibility as long as it runs a high octane offense. But that really isn’t difficult in today’s college football world, especially with scholarship limitations. But we will never have the personnel to line up and beat the big boys. Best we can hope for is an upset every decade.

Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. The decade's almost over. Let's get it now.

Wake hasn’t gotten the upset in like 60 years. We have like one (zero?) wins against top five teams in seventy years.

I’ll start with one period

Wake hasn’t gotten the upset in like 60 years. We have like one (zero?) wins against top five teams in seventy years.

I’ll start with one period
It's really remarkable. For God's sakes 2 and 5 Illinois just beat a top-10 team

Yeah it’s “bad luck” to some degree just based on sample size. I mean if you have a 5 percent chance to win any individual top 5 game (maybe generous) it’s not unheard of to have 40 games without a win but certainly doesn’t seem more likely than not.

Lived in Savannah twenty years. Wake Forest-Georgia football discussions are generally treated lightly and with respect by all parties. Both sides realize their vulnerabilities and would prefer the discussion focus elsewhere. Life in the Deep South.

I realize that it feels good to be talking about bowl prospects. And it makes sense to suppose about the future if your planning to go to a bowl where we play. But seriously, what's the point of this thread. We have 5 games to play all of which we "could" lose. A key injury here or there would sink our season completely. There are a lot of bowls, that's true. But a 6-6 Wake Forest is surely not guaranteed a spot, especially if we did lose the last 5. I don't know how many ACC teams will finish with 6 wins, but I think the only one who likely can't is Ga Tech. I'm not trying to be mean, but this type of thread is what you NEVER see on boards of teams that are legit. They don't go patting themselves on the back over 6 wins. Their aspirations are higher, and they also don't take excellence for granted. We're not in position to miss on either of those points as a team. And if our fans don't understand that, then it's to our detriment. Just find a way to win over State, and don't suffer any key injuries. Then move on to the next game. Worry about the bowl scenario in 7 weeks. If we make it, congrats to us!

Let's be clear here - you're a dickhead on EVERY thread.

I have lots of friends that went to UGA, and to beat them in a major bowl would give me discussion topics until I die.

the leghumpers really are a special kind of stupid.

I was there in ‘79 with my young family. Never will forget

I'm holding out hope for some kind of Florida bowl. The wife is leaving me behind with the kids for a week in November for a conference, so to return the favor I told her I'd be ditching her at some point in December to go to Wake's bowl. Gonna be pissed if it's Nashville or fucking El Paso.

She gets what is presumably a work conference and you get a bowl? That's a pretty good trade.

Can’t believe we choked that game in 2011 at the U. Think they were #2 or so.

#7. I don't remember that game at all.

How often do we play top 10 teams? Once a year? Maybe twice? How many top 10 teams have we played besides Clemson, FSU, and ND in the last 20 years?

Duke Johnson eviscerated us. Also, reading the game recap has this nugget (now 6 years old),

Wake Forest (4-4, 2-3 ACC) led for nearly 49 minutes in a 60-minute game, and it still didn't matter. Tanner Price completed 25 of 45 passes for 302 yards and two touchdowns, the last of those a 44-yard score to Dominique Gibson with 4:02 remaining -- one play after Wake connected on a fourth-down opportunity -- to give the Demon Deacons a 21-17 lead.

It slipped away, and the Demon Deacons are now 1-53 all-time against Top 10 teams.

It's amazing that we haven't beaten a top 10 team during the Grobe/Clawson tenure.

Grobe went 0-12 vs. top 10 teams including 4 3-point losses:

'04 vs. FSU
'09 at GT
'11 at Clemson
'13 at Miami

Clawson is 0-9 vs. top 10 teams

If, as of the '13 loss at Miami, WF was 1-53 vs. the top 10, we're now 1-63

Back